• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Anyone else over the Christmas stress already?

Discussion in 'Road Side Pub' started by 7upstang, Dec 8, 2018.

1. 7upstang

7upstang Active Member Established Member

Perhaps, I am over the material possessions part.

Since my wife's parents and my parents are divorced, we try to see everyone on either Christmas Eve or Christmas day. This part doesn't stress me. The part that does? Getting gifts for everyone. We will easily spend $500-$600 on family members because they want to do gift exchanges, we all get stressed out because we never know what people want then we have the hassle of wrapping. Just to receive gifts we will never use. Then we turn around and fake what we receive, as if we actually "like" the gift. Sigh. Gee, thanks for this plaid shirt. It seems un-grateful, I know I do. We all get stressed out for what? Mainly my wife's family is super big into gifts.

Guess I am getting old. Christmas just seems to stressful anymore. I'd rather just spend time with my family, play games, watch movies and have a good meal together. Times the most important gift anyone could ever give. I'd rather donate money to a family in need to give the kids a better Christmas. We seem to buy anything we need or want for ourselves anyway.

Two of the best Christmas' I ever had. One, a bunch of family members rented a huge house in Tennessee for Christmas, about 25 of us. The only rule, gifts for the kids only. Probably the best Christmas I ever had and none of the adults received presents, we still talk about this Christmas every year. We all had such a great time.

Second time, a cousin of mine donated money to a program that bought ducks for families in need in a third world county. She gave us a letter and little rubber duck for a gift instead, that was probably 12 years ago and I still remember it.

Anyone else feel this way? I won't care about what you bought me on my death bed.

FJohnny likes this.
  2. HillbillyHotRod

HillbillyHotRod Hooligan rabble rouser Established Member

Waaaay too commercialized.

So, yeah the simpler the better. The reason for the season is getting lost in the I want this, I want that.

Revvv and tones_RS3 like this.
  3. capnkirk52

capnkirk52 Eat more POTATOES!!! Established Member

Yes, I'm tired of Xmas. I feel the same way as you. One of my best Christmases was a family trip like yours. No presents, just family and fun. It was the best.

4. Machdup1

Machdup1 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

My daughter (married and living on her own) was stressing out about what cool she was going to buy me. I explained to her that she should get me a Christmas card with a hand written note and it would mean more to me than anything she buy me.

The wife and I have a Christmas gift rule. She buys what she wants and says it is from me and I buy what I want and say it is from her, but we have wrap it and put it under the tree.

FJohnny likes this.
  5. Screw-Rice

Screw-Rice I like BBC Established Member

Instead of being stressed, tell everyone you want your gift to be a donation to a charity, food bank, etc. Also clarify you will not be giving gifts. Seriously, just address it instead of being miserable.

Sounds like you'll get more fulfilment from helping others instead. I'm heading out today to buy gifts for a family in need, my gym puts up a tree with local families in need every year, always enjoy participating.

FJohnny and tones_RS3 like this.
  6. CompOrange04GT

CompOrange04GT I like Wood, and not Oak in my butt Established Member

What Christmas stress?

My family is on the other side of the country... girlfriends family is 12 hours away..

I told her " buy me this shit for christmas"

She told me: " Buy me this shit for christmas"

Easy enough lol

7. tones_RS3

tones_RS3 I like members members. Premium Member Established Member

The only stress I have this Christmas is being able to afford all these bills.
    I got it covered but, it's a lot of cake, I'm dishing out between this month and early next month. Between the Heartgard and Nexgard for Bella and the Grundy Insurance alone, that's almost 550 bucks due in the beginning of next month. lol :confused:

8. 7upstang

7upstang Active Member Established Member

I've done that. Not going to worry anymore. Probably will just make a donation in their name.

Just buying gifts for kids, because that brings joy to them and me.

HillbillyHotRod and Screw-Rice like this.
  9. Coiled03

Coiled03 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

The holidays are the worst time of year for me. The only thing I find enjoyable about this time of year is giving my daughter her presents. She's still young enough to believe in Santa, and all the magic that comes with that is special to see.

The rest of it sucks. I'm from a divorced family. My parents live 1400 miles apart, and don't want to see each other. My sister won't bother traveling anywhere. So, everyone has to go to her place if we want to see her. That's 2 airplane tickets, or a 1000 mile drive for me. I wouldn't mind every other year, but nah...she's not having it. Basically, nobody wants to make any effort to see anyone else. Yet, somehow, I'm supposed to make it everywhere over the holidays. It's very stressful.

Add in the fact that I'm single, and really have nobody to share any of it with on an adult level, and it's pretty depressing.

10. SolarYellow

SolarYellow Sensei Premium Member Established Member

If baby Jesus was given gold and silver as he was freezing in a barn, what's so bad about wanting a tool or video game?

11. MG0h3

MG0h3 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

I'd say yall have it pretty damn easy if "dealing" with Christmas is something to worry about....

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bearbo, jeffh81 and Screw-Rice like this.
  12. CompOrange04GT

CompOrange04GT I like Wood, and not Oak in my butt Established Member

Agreed

13. Coiled03

Coiled03 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Ooohh...nice attempt at guilt tripping everyone.

FJohnny likes this.
  14. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member

Starting last Christmas, my daughter, granddaughters (all adults) and my wife and I decided we would buy each other maybe one or two small gifts and instead of spending a lot of money on each other we'd do something special together as a family. Last year, we went on a cruise to Bermuda. We haven't yet decided what we're doing this year. All the stress is gone and we simply enjoy Christmas and each other. Christmas should not be stressful. My wife and I, and my daughter/family, are definitely going to enjoy another stress-free Christmas this year.

DSG2003Mach1 likes this.
  15. coposrv

coposrv Well-Known Member Established Member

Christmas is an amazing time of year if you skip the gifts. Tell people upfront ahead of time you’re not giving or receiving gifts and enjoy the food family friends and drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

16. 1 Alibi 2

1 Alibi 2 If not today, when ?????? Established Member

No stress here.
    Went shopping today on the way home from breakfast with some guys I used to work with. ( we're all retired )
    Had one item I found on line that the site said was in stock @ the store, & it was.
    Just started walking around & found several other things that I wound up buying.
    Got home & checked what I spent so far against my budget & was pleasantly surprised to see what I had left.
    I think I like store shopping better than on line, some things you just have to look @ / touch..

17. Double"O"

Double"O" N2S come get some Established Member

Just hate Christmas like I do...problem solved lol

18. jeffh81

jeffh81 Burn Rubber Not Your Soul Established Member

Quit worrying about material possessions and life gets a lot easier. Im broke and what little family I have left is in the poor house so no presents and no stress.

We only have one concern and that is if everyone is alive and kicking. Go donate some time feeding in a soup kitchen or helping homeless and I promise that stress of buying gifts will be greatly diminished

blk02edge likes this.
  19. MG0h3

MG0h3 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Not trying to guilt trip anybody. Things could be worse.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Screw-Rice and Bearbo like this.
  20. STAMPEDE3

STAMPEDE3 SAULS BROTHER Staff Member Super Moderator

We buy our kids ages 24 and 21 things they can use like clothes and stuff.
    We buy our parents up to $100 as a couple or $50 individual.
    All nieces/nephews under 18 (Only 1 left) $25-30 item.
    Godchildren under 21 ~$40-50.
    That's it, Brothers and I no longer exchange anything.
    Parents are divorced but in recent years we started doing things at 1 house to simplify.
    We alternate Thanksgiving and Christmas with inlaws every year.
    It really isn't bad but we now focus more on the time we spend together instead of gifts.

MG0h3 likes this.