Anyone else getting rain water on or near their K&N FIPK?

Albert SVT

Established Member
It's been raining fairly heavy recently here in Southern California. I have a K&N FIPK and have also done the hood blanket mod (with vent covers opened), so I've been a little worried recently about possible water ingestion. I left the car in the driveway overnight one night and the next morning I went to check if any water had managed to make it's way near the filter area. The inside fender area directly underneath where the filter sits was wet, not dreanched, but wet. The thing that was a little more alarming though was that the chrome tip of the K&N filter was wet as well. Anyone else noticed this on theirs as well? I assume this is something I should worry about?

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Holy crap, I've been thinking about that for the past week! I haven't gone to check it, but I have no doubt water gets on it during a drive and maybe even when it sits there. I have the hood-mod too. Then I realized the hood/fender area doesn't even really keep water out, so what I'm doing is this...
RC-5046DK.jpg

RC-5046DK

I'm getting it from ajusa.com. They're based in Mira Mesa so I'm picking it up when it comes in (special order). ~$30. It's treated with silicone for water resistance. The peace of mind is what I'm looking for, plus it'll keep the filter pretty and clean. :coolman:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I didn't have the FIPK (had the Steeda CAI) but I drove in torrential downpours for hours more than once and never ever had an issue with water getting on the filter or filter cover even.

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
I just like the peace of mind I guess. There's a place between the hood and headlight that it seems water (and cold air) can get through and from my observation it does. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right, but like I said, peace of mind.

Oh, I didn't mention I like running over puddles. ;-) I get a kick out of doing that.

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
Albert SVT said:
It's been raining fairly heavy recently here in Southern California. I have a K&N FIPK and have also done the hood blanket mod (with vent covers opened), so I've been a little worried recently about possible water ingestion. I left the car in the driveway overnight one night and the next morning I went to check if any water had managed to make it's way near the filter area. The inside fender area directly underneath where the filter sits was wet, not dreanched, but wet. The thing that was a little more alarming though was that the chrome tip of the K&N filter was wet as well. Anyone else noticed this on theirs as well? I assume this is something I should worry about?

Which hood blanket mod are you refering to? The one that just cuts bigger openings in the hood blanket, or the one that has the hood blanket completely removed?

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
When it rains, I flip the hood extractor covers back into place (they snap on). I keep a hood blanket removal tool with me incase I get caught in a storm. This allows the water to hit the plastic shield then drain DOWN instead of spattering everywhere.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
CobraBob said:
I didn't have the FIPK (had the Steeda CAI) but I drove in torrential downpours for hours more than once and never ever had an issue with water getting on the filter or filter cover even.
I have also driven in serious rain for extended periods (SVT Track Days :??: )
and had no problem. I think the guys with inner fender CAIs should be the one concerned since the filter sits closer to the road. This is actually the reason I didn't go with the DenseCharger for my Cobra, had it on my 02GT.

Established Member
I too live in so cal and it's been raining like a mother. I have the fipk also and hood mod. Water does get into the engine bay but it should be o.k. Don't worry too much about it

Doc2003Cobra

Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
When it rains, I flip the hood extractor covers back into place (they snap on). I keep a hood blanket removal tool with me incase I get caught in a storm. This allows the water to hit the plastic shield then drain DOWN instead of spattering everywhere.

Smart guy!! Doc. :banana:

dezracer

BigBeez03 said:
and had no problem. I think the guys with inner fender CAIs should be the one concerned since the filter sits closer to the road. This is actually the reason I didn't go with the DenseCharger for my Cobra, had it on my 02GT.

WHAT???A filter IN the fenderwell is LESS likley to ingest water! Thats why Ford puts the stock snorkel there.Its a dry and nonpressuized area.Sheesh!!

FordFreak

Established Member
I have a 12'' open element, open vents and no blanket. Ive never had a problem with water.

You guys are paranoid! haha :)
Even if a small splash of water gets in there it wont hurt it. Pouring water into carburated engines has been done for decades! The engine eats it right up! Tranny fluid and water works the best.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
BigBeez03 said:
That's exactly why I removed my old Densecharger and went with the Steeda CAI.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
dezzracer said:
WHAT???A filter IN the fenderwell is LESS likley to ingest water! Thats why Ford puts the stock snorkel there.Its a dry and nonpressuized area.Sheesh!!
How in the hell is a open filter in the fender well less likely to get water in it than an open filter under the hood? Sheesh!! Why don't you crawl under a Mustang with an inner fender CAI and see what it's all about. There's nothing there, the filter is open to the road and whatever is coming off the road. The stock snorkel set up has an opening the size of a 50 cent piece and doesn't hang down nearly as far as a CAI filter, big difference.

To each their own, I had the Densecharger on my GT and drove in rain more than once without an issue however I wasn't willing to take the same chance with my 35K toy. On top of that, after I read the CAI shootout in "5.0" I saw that the K&N system was the one for me.

Last edited:

Albert SVT

Established Member
Seabiscuit said:
Which hood blanket mod are you refering to? The one that just cuts bigger openings in the hood blanket, or the one that has the hood blanket completely removed?

Bigger openings in the hood blanket.

It's good to hear (reassuring) that others' intakes are staying dry. I'll take another look under the hood to see if there's any amiss.

I've had aftermarket intakes on all my previous cars and never had any issues (filters and area around filters were always bone dry during the rains). Naturally I was a little shocked when I saw this.

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
Maybe this is a dumb question - but if you have the fipk, and you did the hood mod (complete removal) - arent you now in fact not getting the sealing of the fipk since the hood blanket is gone now - which would let hot engine air in? On mine anyways, the seal on the heat shield of the fipk contacts the hood blanket when you shut your hood

peace

lafave

Cop didn't see it....
Established Member
Tat03Cobra said:
Maybe this is a dumb question - but if you have the fipk, and you did the hood mod (complete removal) - arent you now in fact not getting the sealing of the fipk since the hood blanket is gone now - which would let hot engine air in? On mine anyways, the seal on the heat shield of the fipk contacts the hood blanket when you shut your hood

peace

tat - I think you are correct.

Users who are viewing this thread