Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I don't really believe the majority of people who say they won't buy a car without a manual. Basically every serious sports car on the planet has utilized a DCT for at least 10 years.

Porsche RS models - DCT only
Ferrari - DCT only
Lamborghini - DCT Only

That's not an accident. Customers have driven the cars and the tick rates are what they are. Manual transmissions are as much a value play as an actual enjoyment choice (like most shit on these cars now).

Drive a good DCT hard before making any proclamations. This Tremec is a good piece of hardware. It's going to be very, very fun to use on a track.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
And the NGT of course

Im a HUGE manual guy, but the ship has sailed, DCT is the wave of the future (actually has been, as referenced for a long time now). Offering 2 gear boxes makes no business sense.

This trans is good, and fun to drive. Get in, rotate to drive, then be SURE to push the center "M" (manual) button, and shift away with the paddles.

Drive a good DCT hard before making any proclamations. This Tremec is a good piece of hardware. It's going to be very, very fun to use on a track.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
This trans is good, and fun to drive. Get in, rotate to drive, then be SURE to push the center "M" (manual) button, and shift away with the paddles.

Our trans programming for auto mode was, uh, lightly considered. You really have to use M on the track, or there will be weirdness. Not so with this one.

I really feel like your average Mustang guy is gonna have his brain exploded by what the car will be capable of shifting instantaneously.

DepWraith

Established Member
And the NGT of course

Im a HUGE manual guy, but the ship has sailed, DCT is the wave of the future (actually has been, as referenced for a long time now). Offering 2 gear boxes makes no business sense.

Rotate to drive huh? hmmmmm....we've heard that somewhere before haven't we?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
We've established I can't help you.

All I can do is tell you Specracer was referencing his personal experience with the DCT in FGT, which is not the DCT in the GT500. Hence his comment that "this trans is good."

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve never driven or ridden in a DCT vehicle of any sort.

I’m sure it’s amazing from a performance standpoint. I’m just not sure I could go about having a dedicated toy car not being equipped with a standard manual.

That’s taking into consideration it’s slower, less refined, old fashioned etc...

Who knows though. Maybe all it takes is one drive and you’re hooked.

boduke0220

Established Member
7 speed DCT is the only listed trans. Not gonna lie, disappointed in that.

I understand it, but still, bummed. We’ll see what more detail tomorrow brings, meanwhile, i’ll go out and give my ‘14 a hug.

Agreed. I know DCT is superior, but I love banging gears.

reason4treason

Established Member
I don't really believe the majority of people who say they won't buy a car without a manual. Basically every serious sports car on the planet has utilized a DCT for at least 10 years.

Porsche RS models - DCT only
Ferrari - DCT only
Lamborghini - DCT Only

That's not an accident. Customers have driven the cars and the tick rates are what they are. Manual transmissions are as much a value play as an actual enjoyment choice (like most shit on these cars now).

if i had no other choice that i could also be extremely happy with then of course if pushed into that corner, i'd act in accord with the ultimatum. but speaking for myself, and a lot of other people, there most definitely are other great vehicles such as ZR-1 for example. and even if the choice was a vehicle i could be only marginally happy with, if it is that versus no manual, i'd still go for the manual option until there just isn't enough fun available via that equation....whatever that is for people similarly inclined....to still resist the change.

yeh, eventually there will be a time when there is NO manual option, but that's not yet. my guess is that arriving at that point is far more likely to be after a process slow enough to see it coming down the track at a rate that is not a shock when it gets here, and i don't think it is that time yet...again assuming MOST people who enjoy "performance" vehicles would choose a different ride than their preference that offers a manual if not doing so would mean no zippy rollin' whatsoever. i do admit that not everyone has that opinion and i might be wrong.

even when the time does come, it would not surprise me to see some pendulum-swinging back'n'forth even after the initial "drought." and think of the aftermarket money that will be made by enterprising people who will take advantage of it. who is to say for certain that paying for that will not be more than the inflation that ADM's cause? but that won't effect the auto-preferring people unless their spouse or kid is of that persuasion.

funny to see the different ways different people think about other humans regarding great vehicles too. personally, i'm of the school of thought where it makes me happy to see other people getting happiness from the ride i enjoy immensely too, even if i now have to use my brain more strenuously in order to get the vehicle at at least msrp...unless we're talking about Demon-level shortages. i'll have to admit that maybe there's a degree of ego involved in that where i assume that having mass quantities of people also loving the vehicle that i love means I'm a smart guy because I choose this one. the huge demand confirms the..."a legend in my own mind" sort of thing, lol. but i do believe that there is a significant amount of love i have for the human race that i get more pleasure from seeing others get pleasure than i do from seeing them suffering...as they would if they cannot get the vehicle they so much hanker for.

Users who are viewing this thread