Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
It's not that big of a deal. There's very little reason to ever open it anyways unless you want to get in the teeny tiny trunk, but the comp package is a prop instead of the strut. Requires a couple extra bits to change but if I ever get the motivation I'll probably do that.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Hood struts are nice. I bought some after a judge at a car show laughed at me for having a prop on a custom engine. He also said my “stock suspension sits like a 4x4...

I think I told him something like “the prop I get, the suspension is fully done. Race cars don’t have ridiculous wheel rates, -10° of camber, or no room for travel” but I should have just said “you don’t know what you’re on about.”

It took me 10 years to finally get around to the small stuff like an indash, led lights in and out, and so on.

I’m old school, I think a clean stock look is never a bad thing.

Tank5879

Established Member
Ever since I was at a track day with my terminator, I have added hood struts to all my mustangs. After one session, I had the hood open to cool the engine, and a gust of wind (on a non windy day mind you) blew the hood up and off the prop, and backwards into the wiper arm. Luckily, I was close enough to catch it before it crashed back down. Only chipped a small part of the mystichrome paint, but of course it was right where the driver could see it (even after touch up) every drive.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I installed the struts for ease of use on all my vehicles except my jeep. I just lay the hood against the windshield. If I am at the track or a cruise-in, I still use the prop rod. The shocks stop the wind from blowing it backward and the prop rod stops it from slamming closed.

One day, I may spend $100 and get one of those custom cut ones.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The hood puts a lot more leverage force on a strut than a short deck lid does. Then there's the safety aspect of it if the struts fail. All that aside, I'd still like to see some struts instead of a cheap-looking prop rod.

conceptmachine

Established Member
In regard to the Stop Start function. How about NON default MODE settings. Make the darn thing modal. When the car is shut off, nex time i start it, it stays in the same mode as I shut it off in, until I change it. That would keep the darn stop start off. If I'm paying a gas guzzler fee, that darn thing better not be on there.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The hood puts a lot more leverage force on a strut than a short deck lid does. Then there's the safety aspect of it if the struts fail. All that aside, I'd still like to see some struts instead of a cheap-looking prop rod.

Your comment about leverage isn't correct. It has to do with the location of the pivot. Show how the hood places more "leverage force on the strut" than the struts in the rear. The compressive forces are transferred through the strut to its anchor point atop the fender wall. Beyond that, strut valving and piston size can be very accommodating. Hint - just like a door (albeit in a different plane), a hood needs to shut. So throughout the stroke (or swing) the force will vary. Gravity plays a part as well such that a given strut may have reduced compression when fully extended (such as a hood all the way open), a maximum compressive force as the hood swings downward in its arc, and latch speed when the hood is near horizontal and makes contact with any spring mechanism that may be located near the latch. Strut pivot location and the "strength" of the strut itself work together and one can compensate for the other when/if either isn't optimized.

Safety aspect? How is a front strut failure different than a rear? Why do some companies use hood struts and some don't? Don't they care about the children?

As long as a given manufacturer can get by with a prop rod they will.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ive had enough hoods fall on me professionally from failing and weak struts to be an expert on this.

I prefer the prop rod.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
The less integrated a feature like this is the easier it is to work around it. At current you can go through factory IDS route or use software such as FORscan to access the respective control module and deactivate it. What is bothersome is that deactivating it can/could have warranty implications if there is a mechanical issue and you are looking for something that failed to be covered.
In regard to the Stop Start function. How about NON default MODE settings. Make the darn thing modal. When the car is shut off, nex time i start it, it stays in the same mode as I shut it off in, until I change it. That would keep the darn stop start off. If I'm paying a gas guzzler fee, that darn thing better not be on there.
Yeah, they should do us all a favor and not put that "feature" on the car to begin with.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I vote for a prop rod as well.

When it's cold the struts fail all the time.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I think the odds are strong for a gt500 and gt500KR.

755hp gt500 would be great.

800-850hp KR. Switch chip for race gas, and an option pack with drag wheels/tires, as well as an option to reinstall the back seat ala gt350r. $189k Optional paintless dry carbon Kevlar exterior. 3250lbs, 850hp, and the worlds first back force aero, which uses gyro’s to accelerate the vehicles velocity as speeds rise.

Yep, I guarantee it. They saved the money from hood strut engineering to go full tilt.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I like the idea of a KR. I think it would sell well, and be very cool/great for PR.

I’d love to see 725-777hp for the gt500 and 850 to 900hp for the KR

Obviously this is just what I’d like to see, no news here

Users who are viewing this thread