Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Yup. Almost as if they rebooted to once again allow room to grow as a platform wanes and then finally give something back just before a move to the next chassis is made.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Who+cares+just+embrace+it+man+_60e77d644ed14aca74c04221084fd821.gif

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Lol.

The mystery for me isn't how much power or how well this thing will handle or brake. Rather, if Ford offers a manual transmission, which one? The TR3160 won't handle an abundance of torque. Back to the TR6060? TR6070? Something we haven't seen before from Tremec?

conceptmachine

Established Member
I’m going off experince, I’ve own/ed both, I’d probably beat a stock GT500 on the street with my stock, base 350R. My gt500 just spun and locked me out of second (even with 295mpss tires). Plus the driving experience, even illegally on the street is much more fun than the last gen gt500. Sorry if I hurt feelings here, I like the gt500 but it wasn’t a keeper car. This next gt500 or cobra, whatever it’s called, I’ll be getting. It may not be a keeper either but I’m hoping ford learned from the last gt 500 and it sounds like they did. Larger, better comp tires, auto transmission (won’t get locked out anyway) , better TC, and magnaride, should be able to handle the past gen gt500 easily.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry man, not even close. Your R would get curb stomped out in the street by a stock Trinity.

I dont mean to sound like a smartass, just bringing a little reality to the situation.

Stock tires were a disservice to the Trinity. Drag radials are a must for this car. On good roads, full traction in every gear. Now as far as getting locked out of gear, your alone there. Mine has been a joy to drive, even when spirited. Butter smooth tranny.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The TR6060 in any year GT500 was a bit far from "butter smooth," and I'm not talking about a transmission that has yet to reach optimum operating temperature. The transmission is indeed robust but clunky. High rpm and quick shifting can be mutually exclusive with it at times. GM has taken the TR6060 the furthest to date in ZL1 1LE format and mitigated much of its shortcomings.

conceptmachine

Established Member
yes, it is close, I had the last GT500, I know its capabilities, even modded to 750 HP and the damn thing couldn't hook on the street with 395 MPSS. Sure, after I got to 3rd gear, then it would be over for my R, but from 0-50 (which is stop light to stoplight around here), I know my 350R would stand a good chance at beating a stock GT500. It would be a drivers race IMO. NO changing out those GT500 tires, Stock for stock.

You're not hurting my feelings at all, I got rid of the last GT500 because it's just not a good driving car. The next GT500 will be much better and more usable power, stock. I'm looking forward to it.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The TR6060 in any year GT500 was a bit far from "butter smooth," and I'm not talking about a transmission that has yet to reach optimum operating temperature. The transmission is indeed robust but clunky. High rpm and quick shifting can be mutually exclusive with it at times. GM has taken the TR6060 the furthest to date in ZL1 1LE format and mitigated much of its shortcomings.

What year shelby did you drive again? I believe they did some updating for the Trinity cars.

Perhaps you need a little help with your shifting?

Mine shifts very smooth. No issues here whatsoever. Would not want any other transmission. TR6060 in both my camaro and shelby has been the best transmission I have ever had the pleasure to drive.

yes, it is close, I had the last GT500, I know its capabilities, even modded to 750 HP and the damn thing couldn't hook on the street with 395 MPSS. Sure, after I got to 3rd gear, then it would be over for my R, but from 0-50 (which is stop light to stoplight around here), I know my 350R would stand a good chance at beating a stock GT500. It would be a drivers race IMO. NO changing out those GT500 tires, Stock for stock.

You're not hurting my feelings at all, I got rid of the last GT500 because it's just not a good driving car. The next GT500 will be much better and more usable power, stock. I'm looking forward to it.

Sounds like you had a "bad" experience with the 500, due to bad choice in tire replacement. Should have went with a drag radial. Night and day difference.

Your scenario of being able to beat a Trinity with your R would only hold true against a rookie driver on the stock rubber. If you were to put an experienced driver and/or change rear tires to drag radials. Your chances of winning with that R (on the street), go down to 1%.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
A 395 tire? That's almost a 16" wide tire.

On cold tires, I'm sure the 350R could run with 13/14 GT500 from 0-50. With heat in the tires, the R wouldn't touch a GT500.

He meant 295.... lol

How was your experience with the Trinity transmission?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
He meant 295.... lol

How was your experience with the Trinity transmission?

lol I was going to say, I have 355's on my Viper and they are enormous.

I had 0 issues with my 2014 or my 2013.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
What year shelby did you drive again? I believe they did some updating for the Trinity cars.

Perhaps you need a little help with your shifting?

Mine shifts very smooth. No issues here whatsoever. Would not want any other transmission. TR6060 in both my camaro and shelby has been the best transmission I have ever had the pleasure to drive.

I had an '09. I'm well aware of every "update" and have documented them at length in the GT500 forums here at SVTP.

As for needing any help shifting - cute. I raised the issue but you apparently glossed over it.

That's great if you like how yours shifts. Many GT500 and Camaro owners haven't had the same reaction.

Users who are viewing this thread