Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

Voltwings

Established Member
The GT350 still has more horsepower than a competent road course car needs. So will the GT500, but people who bench race don't know any better... Don't know why we're still having to have this discussion 3 years later.

That's also not a personal stab at anyone in this discussion and dont want it to be taken as such.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
The GT350 still has more horsepower than a competent road course car needs. So will the GT500, but people who bench race don't know any better... Don't know why we're still having to have this discussion 3 years later.

That's also not a personal stab at anyone in this discussion and dont want it to be taken as such.

This is very true. There are two types of tracks; fast and technical. There is a pretty decent split between the two... but in my area, there are more tracks with technical curves bringing speeds down to as little as 50, sometime even 40 MPH. All the HP and TQ in the world is going to improve those speeds.

On the fast tracks... you may have yourself one hell of a drag race between the technical sections... but in the end, you can't drive fast enough to make up for slow technical sections on those fast tracks.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Just had a nice dinner with our tuner and friend after my brother's turbo fox ran out of fuel pump on the dyno, and he's seeing a ton of SRTs and barely 1-2 GT350s in the last few years.
All the guys we relate to want big power and drag results, even getting into roll events some, and 526hp doesn't cut it.
Bring the big brother out already.
-J​

Zemedici

Established Member

Where did you get this information?

My buddy Robert Shaw that won American Iron last year (and hopefully this year too!) has some 800whp on tap with his TT 5.0 swapped cobra.

More power is not always a problem.

Voltwings

Established Member
Where did you get this information?

My buddy Robert Shaw that won American Iron last year (and hopefully this year too!) has some 800whp on tap with his TT 5.0 swapped cobra.

More power is not always a problem.

Years of road racing is where I get that information. I'll see your 800 whp TT 5.0 swapped Cobra and raise you a guy we have here with a 2800 lb SN95 with a 4v swap making all of 315 whp and raping everyone. When comparing 800 whp TT to 320 whp all motor... that's what you call diminishing returns.

Zemedici

Established Member
Years of road racing is where I get that information. I'll see your 800 whp TT 5.0 swapped Cobra and raise you a guy we have here with a 2800 lb SN95 with a 4v swap making all of 315 whp and raping everyone. When comparing 800 whp TT to 320 whp all motor... that's what you call diminishing returns.

Different tracks warrant different setups....
That being said, i would MUCH rather have the power on tap (Injected set the car up with boost scramble) with the hit of a button, vs going all out on the straights with all of 300whp, tracks in the southeast you’d get your doors blown off. You’re over 150mph going into T10 at Road Atlanta

Last edited:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I could see the trade off, but dumb ****ing question, why not have a big power car as well and get the best of both worlds?
For me, several reasons.

This car can get me into plenty of trouble as is. I really noticed it the other day, my fiancee and I were driving and came up to a stop light. I had the option to turn left or go straight and I was headed for the left but it was a red arrow. The straight was still green. I got myself slowed down to 5 or so mph before I realized I should just go straight. I clicked it into 2nd gear, moved over and got on the throttle. Before I was out of the intersection I had already run up to 50 mph, which was 5 mph over the speed limit. I think I noticed it quite a bit more at that moment because I had been driving my fiancees fiesta st and with that thing it's slow/fast enough to keep it floored all the time without getting in deep shit, but just enough that also youre having fun doing it at the same time. It was sort of like an "oh.." moment.

Another problem I have, and I admit it I probably need to drive more high horsepower cars but I feel like if I had this car with a blower I would lose a lot of what it does dynamically. It's already difficult to use 2nd gear on track, you really have to watch it. Even 3rd can get away from you if the car is loaded in a turn. Adding another 300 hp to this would make it extremely difficult to use in the slower corners and only marginally faster overall unless it was a big power track. Not to mention the extra weight over the nose.

Last but not least, I'm an NA guy. Blowers are cool and what not, I think they belong more on a straight line car than a road course car. I'd rather do without the extra heat. There were 4 ZL1 1LEs at COTA a couple weeks ago and the longest any of them made it was 18 minutes before they overheated. I can make do just fine with the power I have, I'd rather have more front end bite to keep away from the prepped cars in the technical sections.

It's really personal preference. I don't blame anyone for wanting more power, a lot of people like that sort of thing. I used to be the same way back when I had my 2012. I was so close to pulling the trigger on a TVS but I went another direction.

I am excited for this car though, I'll probably never be in the market for one but I'm really enjoying these horsepower wars. I'm not even sure we can call them just the "horsepower wars" anymore, because they are pushing each other to make cars that are fun in other aspects.

Just my .02.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I clicked it into 2nd gear, moved over and got on the throttle. Before I was out of the intersection I had already run up to 50 mph, which was 5 mph over the speed limit. ...

The GT350 is way quicker than people give it credit for. It's a great time in HP history when people can turn their noses up at 526 naturally aspirated HP.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The GT350 is way quicker than people give it credit for. It's a great time in HP history when people can turn their noses up at 526 naturally aspirated HP.
It's not though, despite what you want to believe.
It's fast on a road course, everywhere else it's not.
Sure it feels and sounds that way, but look at the trap speed and mile numbers, and it's sub par compared to the competition.
I'll agree it's enough power for 99% of us on a road course, but for how I use MY performance cars (strip, street fun, highway rolls), it's no where near enough power.
Anyone that's driven one knows it could handle 200rwhp more and you're a blinded fanboy if you can't admit it. Well, maybe if you're not used to having more than 500hp and that thing we call torque.
-J

BladeX10

Established Member
The GT350 is nice, Sounds amazing but its definitely lacking power/torque. Its basically on par with a GT numbers wise. There is just no substitute for that feeling you get flooring a supercharged car on an on ramp in 1st/2nd gear. Ford has left a gaping hole in their Mustang audience with a lack of a supercharged top dog Shelby the last 4 years.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
You mean to tell me the GT500 isn't out yet?
giphy.gif

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The GT350 is nice, Sounds amazing but its definitely lacking power/torque. Its basically on par with a GT numbers wise. ...

And people praise the hell out of the Coyote. Yet, the GT350 with more power and torque is somehow sub par.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
In regards to what? Speed of sales? Production numbers?

Cuz close to 50% of the GT350 owners i came into contact with whilst working at Injected were disappointed in the performance of the ‘top dog’ mustang, that makes less than 500whp. Whereas the previous generation was 600wheel horsepower.

Some guys just like raw horsepower, and these guys are not buying New Fords at the moment. Callin it how i see it.

So, 50% of the guys you've come in to contact with want more power? You work at a performance shop, duh. haha C'mon Josh. I'm actually surprised it's only 50%.

The GT350 was made for the track, and it kicks ass. I love watching them fly around the track and CONSISTENTLY outrun higher horsepower cars.

My god, this thread is so sad now. Ford people beating on Ford people because the damn company has given nobody anything! WTF was the point of that teaser months ago just to follow up with NADA the rest of the year. MY only guess is Ford isn't making his car a priority. The Dodge Red Eye doesn't help them. All this time and it's probably still no going to be king of the road. So sad.

What's so sad is that you have become the biggest troll on this forum.

Zemedici

Established Member
So, 50% of the guys you've come in to contact with want more power? You work at a performance shop, duh. haha C'mon Josh. I'm actually surprised it's only 50%.

The GT350 was made for the track, and it kicks ass. I love watching them fly around the track and CONSISTENTLY outrun higher horsepower cars.

What's so sad is that you have become the biggest troll on this forum.

No, that’s not what i said. I said the owners were DISAPPOINTED in the power the vehicle made. Meaning turned off to the vehicle due to the lack of power it makes over a standard GT. There’s a big difference from being accustomed to the power your car makes (think 6 months after you do a build, you get used to the power and want more) and feeing the car is an underperformer, which now that i think about it, 50% is probably a low number, probably closer to 75-80%.

The GT350 is a good track weapon. It is an awful street car. Calling it how i see it. They need boost, you know, like the 03-04 Cobras, any GT500, C7 Z06, Hellcats, ZL1s. Aka almost any other top trim performance vehicle worth a ****. I’m just saying Ford should have marketed the 350 as the Boss 302 of this generation, except without a motor that self destructs.

And for what it’s worth i don’t work at a performance shop any longer.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My god, this thread is so sad now. Ford people beating on Ford people because the damn company has given nobody anything! WTF was the point of that teaser months ago just to follow up with NADA the rest of the year. MY only guess is Ford isn't making his car a priority. The Dodge Red Eye doesn't help them. All this time and it's probably still no going to be king of the road. So sad.
I should ban you just for fun, and I’d enjoy doing it. You’re a fun troll though that normal members can pick on, and I’ll turn my if head if I see them giving you shit which you deserve.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
No, that’s not what i said. I said the owners were DISAPPOINTED in the power the vehicle made. Meaning turned off to the vehicle due to the lack of power it makes over a standard GT.
True story.
Just read how many people want to mod their GT350 and GT350R cars on the other Mustang forum.

Users who are viewing this thread