Anyone else carry and have a significant other that doesn't agree with it?

Mach828

Established Member
You are only viewing it from your perspective. Some people will never feel the need to carry or protect themselves or others using a gun. It doesn't matter what you say to them or show them, it will not change their perspective. Since its not something they would do, they can't understand why someone else would do it. Unless they meet the situation face to face like described above..

I don't think I've met a girl yet who agrees with it or really understands it, but they all have respected my choice regardless.

Edit: Why do her parents and everyone know you carry? She shouldn't be blabbering about your personal business.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Making a special trip back to get your gun before going to a WalMart is a bit ridiculous to me and I carry. You're probably XX times more likely to get killed driving the extra distance on a motorcycle to get the gun than you are likely to be saved by having it. The issue might just be how aware you're making her that you're carrying/not carrying. I carry semi frequently and my gf does not know one way or the other most of the time, sometimes she asks but only when we she sees something that makes her uncomfortable.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Just be as low key as you can about it. Carry wherever you legally can. I would also as suggested Google/you tube "Why I carry a gun"
My wife was a bit nervous at first but she is glad that I do. I would also ask her very respectfully and politely to keep her mouth shut about you carrying.
IMHO [ other than your S.O.] the only person that needs to know I'm carrying is me

oldmodman

Established Member
I have carried every day for almost 45 years. Only drawn once and never fired.

I find that carrying makes me more careful about my surroundings and less assertive than I would be if the worst I could do would be to get into a fight.

And even though I have a Nevada carry permit I still carry in California. Where it is NOT legal to carry unless you are one of the extremely lucky few that live in a pro gun county. Los Angeles isn't one of them.

No girlfriend has ever even known that I carry. Not their business.

werstlna

Established Member
I was never really serious about self protection until my daughter was born. Then I realized how my wife and I are responsible for a completely helpless life. Then you open your eyes to the potential and very real evils existing in this world. I did some soul searching and came to the conclusion that I am willing to stand up for what is right in this world when it comes to the protection of the ones I love, I will not become a cowering victim. No one can force that line of reasoning on another, they must make the affirmative decision themselves. It was a sobering decision process that I didn't take lightly; it is now a lifestyle in that I am armed everywhere it is legal. In fact, now it feels downright un-American and wrong to have to disarm to go into schools, the post office, etc.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I have carried every day for almost 45 years. Only drawn once and never fired.

I find that carrying makes me more careful about my surroundings and less assertive than I would be if the worst I could do would be to get into a fight.

And even though I have a Nevada carry permit I still carry in California. Where it is NOT legal to carry unless you are one of the extremely lucky few that live in a pro gun county. Los Angeles isn't one of them.

No girlfriend has ever even known that I carry. Not their business.

Bingo.

My wife was raised by rabid anti-gunners in the communist state of Maryland. She wasn't even allowed to have squirt/nerf guns as a kid. Needless to say my in-laws and I don't see eye to eye on much. My wife has done a 180 now, mostly just undoing all the propaganda and bullshit she was fed. I wouldn't say shes pro-gun now, but at the very least she is a neutral party.

Meanwhile her sister won't ALLOW her husband to have a gun in his own house.

For me, it's a perfect excuse to not visit my in-laws in MD.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Not sure what the laws of carrying are in Texas, but at least in Michigan if its in your vehicle and not in your trunk (or area not readily accessible to the occupants) in a case with the ammo in a separate container, it is illegal without a CCW.

In TX you can carry anywhere in your vehicle, loaded, without a CHL. It just has to be concealed from plain sight.

It's something better off to have and may never need, than to need and never have.

This. It's the reason I carry and also the reason my wife not only came to accept it, but decided to also get her CHL as well.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
Bingo.

My wife was raised by rabid anti-gunners in the communist state of Maryland. She wasn't even allowed to have squirt/nerf guns as a kid. Needless to say my in-laws and I don't see eye to eye on much. My wife has done a 180 now, mostly just undoing all the propaganda and bullshit she was fed. I wouldn't say shes pro-gun now, but at the very least she is a neutral party.

Meanwhile her sister won't ALLOW her husband to have a gun in his own house.

For me, it's a perfect excuse to not visit my in-laws in MD.

I live in MD and I know that feel. I wish I could obtain a CCW permit, but I am neither a money carrier nor is it my profession (bodyguard, et al). On topic, my wife doesn't like the guns I do have, but she can get rid of them after I'm dead. :D

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
A lot of people just don't get how awful people can actually behave. Just tell her you hope to never pull that gun in your lifetime, but that you also don't want a lifetime of regret for not having it when it was truly needed.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Not sure what the laws of carrying are in Texas, but at least in Michigan if its in your vehicle and not in your trunk (or area not readily accessible to the occupants) in a case with the ammo in a separate container, it is illegal without a CCW.

You can carry a gun in your car as long as it is concealed without a ccw. Any other "law" hindering a persons ability to protect them self is foolish.

Machdup1

Established Member
Any suggestions on how to persuade her or do I just leave it alone? She knows better than to tell me to leave it at home but I just get these smart remarks when I pick it up.

Just tell her the truth about why you carry in calm reasoned tones. Acknowledge that she finds it odd and let her that over time you hope that by your actions, she will begin to understand that it just something that you do normally for the rare event that you need personal protection.

Over time, if you don't talk much about the gun or act in a threatening way towards people, she will begin to come your way. In time, teach her how to shoot properly (only if she wants to learn) and then teach her self defense shooting if it something she shows an interest in. If you get her that far, she will have come over to the dark side and you can present her, her own NRA membership card.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
My girl knows I own guns and that I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. She supports my right and doesn't ask questions. On the other hand I don't keep guns out at home or talk about if I am carrying or not. I know she assumes that I usually am. Out of sight out of mind. I have encouraged her to also carry but she has no interest, so I don't push the issue.

I don't understand how the OP's in-laws know all the details. Has she told them or does the OP talk about it? In my opinion the purpose of carrying concealed is so that people don't know. I don't talk about it I just do it.

usaf_eagle

Established Member
just show her some videos of mobs of black kids beating the shit out of people for fun. That might get her attention. Tell her the only reason you carry is to protect her from harm, and she might back off a bit. It might even turn her on.

Racist much?

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
Racist much?

No he isn't. Referring to something that has been reported and shown by the news media is not racist in any way at all. EVER.

What would be racist is not showing the video and then saying that it was a crowd of white kids that was targeting black shoppers.

I can only think of two or three nationally known celebrities that would ever do such a thing. But they would just deny it while shouting from the rooftops.

Users who are viewing this thread