Anyone else carry and have a significant other that doesn't agree with it?

SHOdown220

Established Member
I've been carrying a concealed firearm for the past 4 years (yes I have the permit to do so). This is a subject I take very seriously and I carry pretty much always except for at work. Well I started seeing this girl earlier this year and have developed a pretty serious relationship with her. Problem is she just doesn't get why I always carry my gun. Take today for example, I had to run to the sheriff's office and we rode the motorcycle so I left my gun at home. Afterwards she wanted to run to Walmart. When we got there I realized I didn't go back home to get my gun, I made a remark about it to which she rolls her eyes and says she doesn't understand the big deal.

She's not anti gun, she has even went shooting with me a few times, it's the carrying in public she doesn't understand. Any suggestions on how to persuade her or do I just leave it alone? She knows better than to tell me to leave it at home but I just get these smart remarks when I pick it up.

Please leave anti gun bickering out of this thread. I started this to discuss the particular situation which I posted, not to get into an argument about my decision to carry. Trust me nothing you can say will change my mind on that.

B0B

Established Member
just show her some videos of mobs of black kids beating the shit out of people for fun. That might get her attention. Tell her the only reason you carry is to protect her from harm, and she might back off a bit. It might even turn her on.

va boy

Established Member
I agree with BOB. Tell her it's to help protect her. My wife too thinks it's a bit of overkill. I suppose it has a lot to do with how we were raised. I've been around guns my entire life, and I've always known for my Dad to have a gun close by in the house I grew up in for protection, as well as carrying. My wife's parents don't even own a gun, never have and are more of the state of mind that everyone is nice and bad things don't happen to good folks. I was raised to be a bit more clinical I guess, not to be paranoid, just prepared.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I agree with BOB. Tell her it's to help protect her. My wife too thinks it's a bit of overkill. I suppose it has a lot to do with how we were raised. I've been around guns my entire life, and I've always known for my Dad to have a gun close by in the house I grew up in for protection, as well as carrying. My wife's parents don't even own a gun, never have and are more of the state of mind that everyone is nice and bad things don't happen to good folks. I was raised to be a bit more clinical I guess, not to be paranoid, just prepared.

Sounds pretty close to our lives. Her parents don't have guns never have and her dad seems pretty anti gun. He went as far as to tell me not to carry in his house.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I don't have a significant other but can relate using my parents. (lame I know)

They didn't understand for the longest time why I carry everywhere I go. They did the same thing, chuckled, rolled their eyes whatever they could do to give off the impression I am paranoid and in the wrong. I finally convinced my dad to carry his pistol in his truck. He doesn't have a ccw but it's better than nothing. Anyone who laughs at those carrying especially in the times we are in now is ignorant.

Best advice is to just ignore it. Let her say or do what she wants. You never know, one day you might have to use it to save both your lives and then she'll understand.

Carry on brother!

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
my g/f loves that I have one but won't carry herself. I got her one of those cat keychains as a last attempt. I'm working on her slowly.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Tell her it's because when seconds count, police are only minutes away.

MFE

Established Member
Or tell her you carry a gun because cops are too heavy. Or more seriously, you're a man, and a man takes personal responsibility for his own safety and for that of his loved ones.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Grab the newspaper every morning and show her the page with crimes on it, or the local news as soon as it starts every night. They will have daily storys about people getting killed, robbed. Tell her THAT'S why you carry.

Some people you just can't reason with, until something happens to THEM.

west08

Established Member
They didn't understand for the longest time why I carry everywhere I go. They did the same thing, chuckled, rolled their eyes whatever they could do to give off the impression I am paranoid and in the wrong. I finally convinced my dad to carry his pistol in his truck. He doesn't have a ccw but it's better than nothing. Anyone who laughs at those carrying especially in the times we are in now is ignorant.

Not sure what the laws of carrying are in Texas, but at least in Michigan if its in your vehicle and not in your trunk (or area not readily accessible to the occupants) in a case with the ammo in a separate container, it is illegal without a CCW.

west08

Established Member
My wife doesn't really seem to like when I carry. She has no problem with firearms in general, but for some reason gets nervous when I carry. I don't carry all the time, and sometimes she doesn't understand when I do. For instance, when going on walks I will carry just in case there is a dog that is not well-behaved with careless owners. And she hates dogs and gets uneasy with them barking inside fence but doesn't like that I have protection against them if needed...

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Nope my wife went out got hers. At first she was reluctant but once she seen so many other women in our area with them, she got hers.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure what the laws of carrying are in Texas, but at least in Michigan if its in your vehicle and not in your trunk (or area not readily accessible to the occupants) in a case with the ammo in a separate container, it is illegal without a CCW.

in FL as long is its in a container (something with a lid) thats all you need, CCW or not.

My aunt asked me if I thought there was something wrong with my cousin bc he carries his all the time, calling him paranoid and stuff. I emailed her a few articles on the knockout game/polar bear hunting etc...She changed her tune pretty quick, had no idea shit like that happened

Speedwagon

Established Member
I've been carrying a concealed firearm for the past 4 years (yes I have the permit to do so). This is a subject I take very seriously and I carry pretty much always except for at work. Well I started seeing this girl earlier this year and have developed a pretty serious relationship with her. Problem is she just doesn't get why I always carry my gun. Take today for example, I had to run to the sheriff's office and we rode the motorcycle so I left my gun at home. Afterwards she wanted to run to Walmart. When we got there I realized I didn't go back home to get my gun, I made a remark about it to which she rolls her eyes and says she doesn't understand the big deal.

She's not anti gun, she has even went shooting with me a few times, it's the carrying in public she doesn't understand. Any suggestions on how to persuade her or do I just leave it alone? She knows better than to tell me to leave it at home but I just get these smart remarks when I pick it up.

Please leave anti gun bickering out of this thread. I started this to discuss the particular situation which I posted, not to get into an argument about my decision to carry. Trust me nothing you can say will change my mind on that.

If she is a truly down to earth gal she will change her mind over time. She probably hasnt been with someone with traits as you have. It took my wife a little while.. Now she carries a heater everyday and is my backup when we are out and about. I say give it some time and she'll come around.

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Dump her OP, that's the only solution.

just show her some videos of mobs of black kids beating the shit out of people for fun. That might get her attention. Tell her the only reason you carry is to protect her from harm, and she might back off a bit. It might even turn her on.

Or show her the stories of all those crazy white people shooting up schools and movie theaters :bored:

For instance, when going on walks I will carry just in case there is a dog that is not well-behaved with careless owners. And she hates dogs and gets uneasy with them barking inside fence but doesn't like that I have protection against them if needed...

This is weird to me and I hate dogs too.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
i had a chick like that waaaayyyyy back. she didn't care that i owned guns, just couldn't understand carrying one.

honestly, i left the subject alone. she knew i was going to carry, i knew she didn't like it... if it bothered her enough i guessed she would leave me.

a year or so into our relationship she was robbed at gun point at work. her tune and outlook on carry instantly changed. being a relatively smart guy, i also never said a word about her coming over to our side. i just accepted it and moved on, no need to be all "i told ya so" or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread