Anyone driven theirs in the snow?

IDGT500

Established Member
In Idaho we get some snow in the city during the winter months and mine would be a DD if i end up getting the GT500. Id also put studded tires on it.

Blaine

Established Member
I've driven mine in the snow several times. Its do'able if you know how to drive high HP rear wheel drive cars, but not recommended.

I even got stuck in a freak snow storm in the mountains driving home once. That was scary going uphill on a 2 mile long hill at 10%+ grades. If I had to stop once... I was stuck. Its not the driving in the snow thats bad, it trying to move in the snow from a stop.... thats the hard part.:rolling:

Seahorse

Established Member
I got caught a couple times after first picking up the car in Feb. Nothing real bad, just a light dusting each time, but even that was almost enough to immobilize the car with the stock Goodyears *L*. But common sense and a decent set of real snow tires and it's doable, I've done it before with other high power rwd cars. But the Shelby will from now on be hibernating winters through!

IDGT500

Established Member
do you guys think putting bags of sand in the truck or anything else to help weigh down the back end is pretty effective?

I love the GT500 just wish I still lived in arizona so i wouldnt ever have to worry about these things haha

Seahorse

Established Member
If at all possible, you're much better off picking up a cheapo winter beater - it'll probably not only be a lot better at getting around in snow, but it'll save a lot of wear and abuse on the Shelby. But with that said, my recipe for getting around in a high power rwd car was keep the gas tank full at all time, a 50lb bag of kitty litter in the trunk (in addition to the extra weight over the drive wheels, it makes a great traction compound to get you out of a bad spot when you become truly stuck - and that will happen *L*) and of course a good set of "minus 1" sized winter tires

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
IMO,,Get another beater to drive in bad snow/weather

If you need/want to run her in the white stuff. Blizzak tires would be my choice, they are no joke in the ice/snow:beer:

chuckstang

Established Member
well, I told myself I would not do it, but its tough just storng a car for 6 months out of the year so

I drive year around, dangerous

I live near the beach so my car sees sand year round so a little more in the winter, I figured why not

I use stock tires but if you have snow tires I think i would it would do fine!

FiaCobra

Established Member
My car only sees the snow from the comfort of the garage. I'm not driving it in any snow......that also goes for rain (unless i'm caught in it) Get yourself a beater for the snow.

ZXMustang

Banned
Honestly and not to sound like a dick, but if you cant afford to have another car or you dont have a company car like most of us for winter, then you should not have bought that much car(GT500). You could have gotten an 03 cobra for less than half the price of a GT500 and make it as fast for cheap and then have way more then enough to buy a badass 4x4 suv or truck for the winter months. I have the luxury of having a company van, but if I had to take a job without a company car I would have to sell the shelby and get two decent cars for what I would need. If you have the means then have at it, but if not thats pretty irresponsible to think you can safely drive a modded GT500 through a midwest winter and not hurt yourself or anyone else on the road. Do us all a favor and park it when the snow flies. Then buy a $1200 jeep cherokee and call it a day. Your GT500 and all of the other drivers out on the road will thank you. Again, not trying to be a dick. Its like the whole crotch rocket thing. If you cant afford the best helmet money can buy and all the leathers too then you have no business buying the bike. At this level, this shouldnt be an issue.

johnwynn

Established Member
Honestly and not to sound like a dick, but if you cant afford to have another car or you dont have a company car like most of us for winter, then you should not have bought that much car(GT500). You could have gotten an 03 cobra for less than half the price of a GT500 and make it as fast for cheap and then have way more then enough to buy a badass 4x4 suv or truck for the winter months. I have the luxury of having a company van, but if I had to take a job without a company car I would have to sell the shelby and get two decent cars for what I would need. If you have the means then have at it, but if not thats pretty irresponsible to think you can safely drive a modded GT500 through a midwest winter and not hurt yourself or anyone else on the road. Do us all a favor and park it when the snow flies. Then buy a $1200 jeep cherokee and call it a day. Your GT500 and all of the other drivers out on the road will thank you. Again, not trying to be a dick. Its like the whole crotch rocket thing. If you cant afford the best helmet money can buy and all the leathers too then you have no business buying the bike. At this level, this shouldnt be an issue.

I disagree, if he wants a GT500 to drive he should get it. I have a GT 500 and a DD but the GT500 sits outside in front of my townhouse because i have no garage. There are some who say i should not have one because i cant store it properly. If you want it buy it.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
My answer to your question would be "Does a hobby horse have a wooden d!ck?"

09VistaGT500

Established Member
Mine is not a daily driver, I do have a company truck to drive so fortunately I do not have to drive it all the time but I have been caught in the snow here in WV. I drove 3 hours on a sunny and clear 23 degree day in January to pick up the car from I dealer that gave me the best deal on the car I wanted only to get caught on the way home in 4-5 inches of snow. Took almost 6 hours to get home. What a way to beak in a new GT500...lol. These cars can be driven in the snow with the stock tires, but I highly recommend you find a cheap alterative vehicle. Anything less than 45 degrees outside and the stock tires are like driving on ice even when the roads are dry. Maybe a different set of all season or snow tires would help some. As mentioned above kitty litter is a good choice... will add weight and provide traction if needed. I always used to throw a couple 45lb plates from my weight set in the trunk on my way to class in GTs Ive had in the past to add extra weight during bad weather. Not saying not to get the car, just plan ahead and be prepared if this is going to be your DD.

Last edited:

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
I drive my 03 vert year round here in Milwaukee. We get some pretty good snow storms. I put snow tires on in November or December, and then the summer tires in April. Also put about 100 pounds of water softener salt (2 bags) in the trunk for the winter.
With snow tires and some weight in the trunk the termie drives better in the snow than my wife's front wheel drive mini van with decent all season tires on it. The only problem is when the snow gets so deep that it rubs up against the frame/bottom of the car, you can get hung up then. But that takes about six inches of snow before that happens.
Unless you are planning to hold on to the car for a long time and make a collector's item out of it, my thinking is drive it year round and have fun. 500 horsepower, rear wheel drive in the snow can be a lot of fun if you are careful and know how to drive.

FiaCobra

Established Member
I had my car out once on a 32 degree day and had it sideways accelerating in 3rd gear. Those tires are no good once the temps hit below 40 degrees.

BADSEED

Established Member
i recommend a beater when i had my 99 saleen i got caught in a snow storm cause of the sucky weather boston has and there was about an 1in or 2 down, was on the highway in 5th doing about 1200 rpm's with 275's tapped the gas and car spun out, got control of it and kept going thank god it was a 4 lane highway ....i have never been so scared in my life!!!

only time car had ever seen snow, now i have a 95 gmc sierra 1500 4wd paid $1800 for it...best money ever spent not even 3ft of snow stops it

Users who are viewing this thread