Anyone buy their own health insurance?

robvas

Established Member
Where can you get a plan that isn't $2,000 a month and $15,000 deductible?

Family plans on healthcare.gov are still a joke. Are there other companies to go through?

Morgan

Established Member
You could do that in 2010 (pre Obamacare), but now…. Hahaha.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Pretty much what Morgan said. We're at $1,700 through CVS/Aethna w/$7,500 or $8,500 per person(can't remember). They do cover all my doctors. I shopped around, but more money.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Well I'm glad someone mentioned this I had an opportunity for a job that is serious money but no benefits just made my decision quite easy
Makes a big difference. When I worked for Ryder Systems years ago it was $30 a week for a whole family and included everything.

Morgan

Established Member
One of the strategies I hear business owners talk about around me is to buy only catastrophic coverage from a health insurance company. And finding a broker may be better than the marketplace.

Then for day to day type care, engage with a physician that offers concierge or personalized medicine. This is sort of like having a doc on retainer for ~$100/mth. There are more concierge practices out there as the insurance companies become more difficult to do business with, and independent docs choose to go cash only.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
If I had all of the money I have spent on Health Ins. I would not need Health Ins.
That was always my thought. Until you use it. I can remember quarterly payments of $600 and cursing every time. Switched over BCBS before O-care and still have it. I felt like I was treated like a king during my emergency triple. Still glad we have it. Being self employed offers tremendous advantages as far as deduction goes.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
One of the strategies I hear business owners talk about around me is to buy only catastrophic coverage from a health insurance company. And finding a broker may be better than the marketplace.

Then for day to day type care, engage with a physician that offers concierge or personalized medicine. This is sort of like having a doc on retainer for ~$100/mth. There are more concierge practices out there as the insurance companies become more difficult to do business with, and independent docs choose to go cash only.
Well, makes sense. October 2022 I was admitted to the hospital with severe pneumonia and a-fib, 2 weeks in ICU and another 6 in a different room was almost $500K between the hospital and doctors. Almost died twice.

Morgan

Established Member
Well, makes sense. October 2022 I was admitted to the hospital with severe pneumonia and a-fib, 2 weeks in ICU and another 6 in a different room was almost $500K between the hospital and doctors. Almost died twice.

These stories about huge price tags are so common- you’d be crazy to not have some kind of coverage.
An ICU stay is no joke, hope youre on a new path.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member

Concierge is what I have

$350ish a month for a family of 4

tistan

Established Member

You can no longer just buy catastrophic coverage. It has to be bought with in conjunction with other insurance. By the time you buy two insurances the catastrophic does not make financial sense.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
These stories about huge price tags are so common- you’d be crazy to not have some kind of coverage.
An ICU stay is no joke, hope youre on a new path.
Thanks Bubba, been golden since I've been out. Even stopped smoking, no heart issues or messed up lungs. Doctors were shocked with test results after smoking 47 years. No blockages or COPD.

Fat Boss

Established Member
My old doctor went concierge on me. I hardly ever need to go to a doctor so I declined to pay an extra $300/mo.

A friend of a friend got bit by a rattlesnake in his backyard and had a bad reaction. His medical bill was almost $500k.

VegasMichael

Established Member
My old doctor went concierge on me. I hardly ever need to go to a doctor so I declined to pay an extra $300/mo.

A friend of a friend got bit by a rattlesnake in his backyard and had a bad reaction. His medical bill was almost $500k.
But does concierge coverage cover hospital visits, stays and inpatient/outpatient surgeries? That's what really costs big money. I'm like you in that I never go to the doctor so that specific aspect isn't important to me either.

I recently dropped my old insurer from my previous employer($700 a month with $1500 deductible) since it was only covering 50% of the cost of surgeries and hospital stays since I'm no longer in Nevada.

I now pay $891 a month(medical/dental/vision) with a $1000 deductible but it pays 100% of all hospital stays and inpatient/outpatient surgeries after said deductible. It's worth it to me if I ever need hospitals and surgeries.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Thats one of the reasons why I went in LE. Free health insurance when I retire. Crazy good benifits.

Ppl just dont realize how ****ing expensive health insurance is especially with a family smh.

utlong31

Established Member
The company I was with for 11 years paid 100% of mine and my families health insurance. That was one of the main reasons I stayed. Started my own business last year and couldn’t believe how much health insurance was. Of course it’s also income based.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

VegasMichael

Established Member
The company I was with for 11 years paid 100% of mine and my families health insurance. That was one of the main reasons I stayed. Started my own business last year and couldn’t believe how much health insurance was. Of course it’s also income based.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
My former employer paid 100% of my insurance as well but the devil in the details is how much your insurance actually covers.

Users who are viewing this thread