Anyone been on track with GT350/ GT350R

sonic cobra

Established Member
Just curious if anyone has come up against a GT350 on track yet and what your impressions are.
Here in the Northeast, my car is hibernating so no opportunities until the spring.

sonic cobra

Established Member
Yes, saw that and enjoyed it .
I guess what I'm after is what kind of respect the car is getting in the paddock at local HPDE's from people other than the proud new owners.
Nothing going on here in the Northeast but they must be showing up at tracks like Sebring or Willow Springs and others.

Svtmustang01

Established Member
Im only 2.5 hrs but sadly I have an 04 cobra and I know the heat would kill it. Hope someone chimes in, I read somewhere that boss 302 and gt350 are close to the same track speed in the hands of an experienced driver but given to someone other than a pro driver or a lot of experience the gt350 wins hands down.

sonic cobra

Established Member
Yes, I was constantly dealing with heatsoak on my '03. Tried lots of different things with little to show for it till I finally removed the cats. then was able to at least finish a full 25 minute session without going limp.
No Florida heat though.

atowergod

Established Member
Heading to summit point WV March 13. Couldn't wait any longer. I'll let you know how it goes.

racebronco2

Established Member
Yes, I was constantly dealing with heatsoak on my '03. Tried lots of different things with little to show for it till I finally removed the cats. then was able to at least finish a full 25 minute session without going limp.
No Florida heat though.

My real heat extractor hood will help.

sonic cobra

Established Member
Racebronco 2, A very nice piece for sure and thoroughly tested and proven as well. You've been successfully carrying the torch for the Terminators for a very long time

After 12 years, i decided to move on from the Cobra rather than put any more $ into that old architecture

sonic cobra

Established Member
Heading to summit point WV March 13. Couldn't wait any longer. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks, look forward to hearing about it. I assume that will be with the new GT350. Have fun and be safe. I have a family trip planned for may and big family vacation planned for June, so I may not get to the track till the fall.

I picked up a '16 Z51 Corvette in October,

sonic cobra

Established Member
Yes well, I'm retired now and already had a couple Mustangs and enjoyed the hell out of them. At my age just looking for a new life experience, while i can still enjoy it
Got a good price, so what the heck.
Looking forward to mixing it up with the GT350 guys on track this year

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
It's a much better chassis. It makes sense when you get serious to either get a newer chassis Mustang or go to a different platform altogether. I don't have the money for that so I'm gonna polish this turd and see how shiny I can get her!

Svtmustang01

Established Member
Its so tempting to split with mine and just go to a c5 z06. My brother has a c5 with coilovers, full bolt on ,and man that thing feels so much more balanced than our mustangs.

sonic cobra

Established Member
I went with full coil-overs on my terminator early on. Was never a daily driver, but the ride did suffer a bit on the street and though much better on track, just can't ever get rid of the understeer.

So with today's modern chassis and electronics, its no longer necessary for me to spend a weekend under the car doing all the track prep. Basically just flush the brakes, change pads and wheels/tires and good to go. Then just push a few buttons and exhaust, suspension and throttle response are optimized for the track. When your done, push the buttons again and drive home in comfort with no exhaust drone.
Very appealing to these old bones.
I can't wait to see the improvement in the spring. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least a 2 second improvement in my lap time at Watkins Glen right out of the box.

noldevin

Established Member
Yes, saw that and enjoyed it .
I guess what I'm after is what kind of respect the car is getting in the paddock at local HPDE's from people other than the proud new owners.
Nothing going on here in the Northeast but they must be showing up at tracks like Sebring or Willow Springs and others.

The cool thing about HPDE is generally everyone is really awesome and will respect your ride no matter what. You can show up in a miata and someone will think it's cool. I'm sure the GT350 would draw in a few more lookers than average though.

MFE

Established Member
I recently drove a GT350R for a few laps during #GT350TrackTour, and got a couple hot laps with a pro. The thing that stands out the most about it is the brakes. Good lord, the brakes. I have never driven a car with brakes so good.

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
Hi All

On 5/7/16 two 2016 GT 350s'( non R), but with magnaride, came out to run the Fontana Roval with Speedventures. Event times are posted on their site if you use their telemetry system. I'm registered as "P-51D".

One guy just brings it out to have a bit of fun with it and not really apply the track capability. The other guy has removed the cats and flashed his ECU to yield, according to him , 600 hp.

So, the "600hp" ran in my Black group. My 2104 Gt 500 put down a time 0f 1:54.5 that day. On OEM Good year F1 3 year old tires. 70 Degree day.

I have a Cortex Watts link, and Carbotech front brake pads along with Kenny Brown brake cooling ducts for the front.
They grid cars after the first run according to lap times. I was in #1 position this time.

The 350 was nowhere in site.

I hope it does better , i want one!!

Users who are viewing this thread