Anyone an electrician?

Cbarr300

Established Member
Well I'm getting out the Marine Corps in a few months and need a career haha. My dad's a master electrician and seems to like his job, but just wanted some other outside opinions. Anyone regret going through the steps of Becoming a licensed electrician?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

oldmodman

Established Member
There will always be a need for two professions. Plumber and electrician. If you can get your foot in the door on new construction you will work all the time.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
I was an electrician apprentice for a couple of years. I tell you what, I truly wish that I would have stuck with it. It was one of the few jobs that I've had that I actually liked. You get a real sense of pride when you work with your hands and see the completed project.

-Eric

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Think HVACR. Licensed masters can pull down 6 figures a year depending on the region. It takes years of dedication to become proficient, it wont happen over night.

Last edited:

ff500

Established Member
I'm an Electrician. I've got my master's license in Massachusetts, Virginia and soon to be Maryland.

It's a good career, you can make a lot of money if you're willing to work hard, maybe start your own business some day.

coposrv

Established Member
Go for it. I am a master in MA. There is always going to be a demand. I loved the construction side but since I have moved to bio tech pharma controls and service I don't miss it. The money's better here too.

Cbarr300

Established Member
Thanks for the reply guys, seems like a legit career. I'm going to my local njatc and doing the application process. Jnly wah I can see of getting an apprenticeship haha. Any of you guys have any other ideas for getting my foot in the door?

04ScSaleen325

Established Member
i did it for 4 years. great money, downfall is there isnt always work. at least in ny there isnt. its unbelievable money, but in ny the electrician union only works 6-8 months a year. the other month they are on furlow. i cant live like that so quit. never looked back

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I'm an electrician and while I was in school for it, was doing house wiring/troubleshooting/wire running for a local outfit. When I got out of school though, I hired on at a factory as electrical maintanence. 8.5 years later I'm still here and enjoy it. I don't enjoy conduit running at all, plus it's usually somewhat comfortable in a factory. I don't have my masters license, but have considered it many times. Probably need to take a code class again because I forgot most of that stuff. You can go different routes: shortest route is to do the apprentice stuff and do construction. The other is a technical school program and learn about lots of different things. I log onto plc's and change programs all the time and troubleshoot with a laptop more than with a meter. The only downside is in the construction business, it's almost all dayshift. I'm going to dayshift this spring but it's taken almost 9 years.

04Cobra85

Established Member
I have been a electrician for 10 years it has its ups and down. I recently moved over the traffic signal tech and i like it. It pays good and always work.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think it will be an outstanding career for you, especially if you can land a job with a good company. We have a particular company here is town that does a lot of new construction, with some repair work. They are always in demand which can make it tough to get someone on short notice. But I always try to use them for any of my electrical needs. A nice family company that has been a huge success here. Those electricians I've talked to have been with them for many years and love the company and their work. I know an old friend who worked for an electrician for a few years and then started his own business. It was a rocky start, but it is now a success and well known in the town he lives in. I actually don't know of any electricians who don't love what they do. Some, though, prefer new construction work over repair work, and visa versa. I wish you the best.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I was an electrician apprentice for a couple of years. I tell you what, I truly wish that I would have stuck with it. It was one of the few jobs that I've had that I actually liked. You get a real sense of pride when you work with your hands and see the completed project.

-Eric

this.

plus you get the added benefit of all your friends/neighbors/relatives asking you for electrical help around the house

Cbarr300

Established Member
Thanks again for the insight. I believe this is the route I'm gonna take. Working on cars was fun but I never wanted to work on my project. Fixing other people's cars killed it for me haha. I'll miss the Marine Corps but I can't wait to start work in the civilian world

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread