Anybody thinking of moving from a S197 GT500 to a new GT350?

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I like my Mustang. Ford hit a home run with the '13/'14 GT500's IMO. After being uninterested in Mustang for several years they brought me back and I bought two. The GT500 has been an incredibly entertaining car, both on the drag strip and at the track.

But I've been looking at the GT350. It'll be slower in a straightline, but the car is definitely an evolutionary step up from the S197. I'm thinking of selling off the GT500 and buying one (will wait for the furor to die down a little). Anybody else thinking of making the switch?

And I'll keep it just until the next GT500 is available. :rolling:
S.

paluka21

Established Member
Snorman,

Are you looking at the R model for tracking? I could see where that car would be very appealing to people who want to use it's potential.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Snorman,

Are you looking at the R model for tracking? I could see where that car would be very appealing to people who want to use it's potential.
I'm not sure. I've been tracking my Z06 for the last 6 track days, and it's been holding up so far despite the cooling issues that the internet would have you believe the car will burst into flames after three laps.
The issue I have with the R is that carbon fiber wheels are really not a good option for a track car. If this was my full time track car it would go through 4-5 sets of tires a year, and that's a LOT of wear and tear on tire machines. Considering those wheels are a very likely a big part of the $13,500 R package cost I don't think it's worth it. Probably a base car with the Track Package because I'll need the coolers in the southeast. I think the car will be hard on the factory brakes so hopefully there will be rotor rings available and lots of pad options.
S.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I definitely plan on looking at them when they come out. But I would have a very hard time selling my 13, but who knows.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
I'm not. I'm old school: There is no replacement for displacement, even if it is supercharged or turbo'ed. I only wish this 5.8 we have was the 6.2 or bigger, say in old school terms 429ci.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
I sold both my 13 and 14 GT500s and am placing my GT350 order this week. While the 350 won't have near the straight line punch that the supercharged 5.8 has, the handling of the 350 will be a dramatic improvement.

If Ford will combine the new Magneride with a 750 hp twin-turbo 5.0L for the next GT500, I'm in for sure. That will be the best of both worlds, especially if they can get it down to 3,600 lbs or less. :rockon:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Something tells me as soon as buy gt350 they'll announce w gt500. Then I'll have to buy that too. Sigh

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Something tells me as soon as buy gt350 they'll announce w gt500. Then I'll have to buy that too. Sigh

I'm sure that the first press release for the next GT500 is already sitting on someone's desk in Dearborn! They'll drop that bomb as soon as all the initial 350 orders have been placed and the hype starts to taper off a bit!

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I don't know if the 350 will get me out of my 500 but so far it's the only sub 100k car that's even peaked my interest. I just really like this car, it's comfortable, it's fast, and I think it looks damn good. Add in my stereo upgrade and she's a keeper!

Novtec1

TIE Fighter Pilot
Established Member
I don't know if the 350 will get me out of my 500 but so far it's the only sub 100k car that's even peaked my interest. I just really like this car, it's comfortable, it's fast, and I think it looks damn good. Add in my stereo upgrade and she's a keeper!

+2 i just picked my 13 up and i love it... i think that the next 500 will not do what the 13s/14s did.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
No. The new body style does nothing for me.
I get it.
I didn't really like the S197's for several years, especially with the throwback styling. When I took notice of the '13/'14's, I really started to notice styling cues that were lost on me previously. I think the subtle changes to the GT500 hit it out of the park. Just IMO, the '13/'14 GT500 is the best looking Mustang since I've been "into" Mustangs in the '80's. The car just looks great from every angle. Especially in black, lol.
The nose if the new car is sorta "meh". But from the doors back it looks great and the interior is a big step up. I think it'll grow on me too. But it is hard to deny the great stuff the new car, especially the GT350, has going for it.
S.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
I said the same thing, the new style 5.0 do nothing for me as well, but it does look good with the gt350 styling..but no I would rather take the power my '14 gives over the new gt350...time will tell if ford will indeed make another gt500, but I would rather them not, making the '13/'14 that much more desirable..

2k7gtcs

Established Member
I kind of like the 2015 5.0, but I love the 2016 GT350. However it not enough to pull me out of the '13. I certainly wouldn't get rid of it for the 350. I might be thinking about getting rid of one of the '07 for it. But then I'd have to come up with the difference in price which makes me not want to do it so much.

Users who are viewing this thread