Anybody running 295/30/20s?

Dinosgt

Established Member
Dinosgt. Thanks man I was just wondering if they would run without any rubbing on suspension parts and fenders before buying the rubber as far as the fitment part meant. I wanted to make sure they would clear everything cause it just looked so damn tight mocked up. Thanks again!

I think that they probably won't rub even though they stick out. I have about 50mm fender to tire clearance even though it's lowered with the Eibach pro kit. The bump stops probably would keep them from rubbing.

I just don't like the look.

But I am told that some tire brands run narrower than these and would be ok.

Read my other thread on the 305 cup 2s. Steve from TF offered some good insight into his experience (as did some others)

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
Hey Dino - I feel your Michelin 305 tire pain, my friend. I have 20x10.5 ET45s and, based on the wheel seller's assurances, I had 305/30/20XL Michelin PSS tires installed. Rubbed at top of fender on both sides (rubber deposits left on fender and visible shiny rub mark all the way around the tire at edge of tread where it turns into sidewall). Next step was to go down to 295/30/20XL PSS, which per TireRack had .3" less treadwidth. Rub. Ugh. Had 3mm milled off my back wheels. Rub a dub dub.

Finally grew weary of worrying about rub, went to the 285/35/20XL PSS and have had zero issues and honestly haven't noticed any traction difference on my Boss. There is tons of room on the inside of the wheel and tire to fit the wider tires and would love to eventually get back to a 305/30 rear but for now I am not going to spend any more money on it. I think that a 10.5" wheel would need at least a 52 or 54mm offset to use the 305/30/20XL PSS and no one makes that spec off the shelf to my knowledge.

Oh, and FYI, I am lowered on coilovers and have about 2" from top of tire to top of fender so roughly comparable to your springs.

Last edited:

Dinosgt

Established Member
Hey Dino - I feel you Michelin 305 tire pain, my friend. I have 20x10.5 ET45s and, based on the wheel seller's assurances, I had 305/30/20XL Michelin PSS tires installed. Rubbed at top of fender on both sides (rubber deposits left on fender and visible shiny rub mark all the way around the tire at edge of tread where it turns into sidewall). Next step was to go down to 295/30/20XL PSS, which per TireRack had .3" less treadwidth. Rub. Ugh. Had 3mm milled off my back wheels. Rub a dub dub.

Finally grew weary of worrying about rub, went to the 285/35/20XL PSS and have had zero issues and honestly haven't noticed any traction difference on my Boss. There is tons of room on the inside of the wheel and tire to fit the wider tires and would love to eventually get back to a 305/30 rear but for now I am not going to spend any more money on it. I think that a 10.5" wheel would need at least a 52 or 54mm offset to use the 305/30/20XL PSS and no one makes that spec off the shelf to my knowledge.

Oh, and FYI, I am lowered on coilovers and have about 2" from top of tire to top of fender so roughly comparable to your springs.

Great info - thank you. I am hoping the 58mm offset will fix it, but I have no idea yet. I will probably have to do what I set out in the beginning to avoid - i.e. remove the bump stop bracket. UGH...

Now looking at r888s in the 315/30 size - they look to have less tread believe it or not. But I got $2K in these Cup 2 tires alone so I want to try to use first before I throw in the towel.

Interesting that your tire guy "assured" you on fit; I have exactly the same experience. After they didn't, and dropping stupid money on custom forged rims (offset as per my guy's input), I was the one doing all the measuring and homework on offsets, backspacing etc. I wont make this mistake twice...

I finally decided that the 'make or break' would be a 57-58mm offset on an 11 inch rim, and alot of prayer that it wouldn't rub.

Many thanks are owed to the folks on this forum who provided guidance.

Cheers...and best of luck.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Going by a wheel offset calculator, looks like at 11" wide with ET58, you'll have 4mm more clearance to the fender which, after my experiences, probably wouldn't be quite enough clearance for the 305 PSS but the SC2s I think are a hair narrower so hopefully it will work. I remember talking to someone at Steeda a few years ago and they told me that their 20x11 Spider wheels had 59mm offset and a 305/30/20XL PSS was a confirmed fitment that worked. I didn't buy them because they are super heavy.

Good luck with everything and let us know your results.

Dinosgt

Established Member
Going by a wheel offset calculator, looks like at 11" wide with ET58, you'll have 4mm more clearance to the fender which, after my experiences, probably wouldn't be quite enough clearance for the 305 PSS but the SC2s I think are a hair narrower so hopefully it will work. I remember talking to someone at Steeda a few years ago and they told me that their 20x11 Spider wheels had 59mm offset and a 305/30/20XL PSS was a confirmed fitment that worked. I didn't buy them because they are super heavy.

Good luck with everything and let us know your results.

Will do - and I think you are right. I will probably still be 2 mm outside of the fender in the Cup 2 tire section width - I'm just hoping the tread tucks better. I'm now concerned with the inside rubbing the bracket.

Waiting for the wheels to get trimmed down and will take it from there.

s197clutch

Well guys, I've really enjoyed this thread and the advice I have got from it sooo... Here goes... I got the wheels and tires on and I'm running 9.5 inch wide in the front with a 35mm offset wrapped in a 275/35/20 and the rear is an 11 inch wide with a 50mm offset wrapped in 305/35/20... Now that I have them on I have about 5mm sticking out of the fender as you mentioned (I'm partial to the meaty look even though its a little redneck lol).. Now my question is... I haven't seen anyone other than 101blur running a similar set up.. If I decide to go with the BMR Handling Springs with a 1.5inch drop and a 240 front/ 200 rear spring rate, will they mess the rear quarters or fenders up (I.e. rubbing or wrinkling the quarter panel)? I apologize for the long post but you guys seem to know your stuff and this is the first suspension/ tire modding I have ever done and money is slightly tight with what I can put into it so I'm trying to figure out if I can do the 1 inch or 1.5 inch spring drop and not have to worry about seriously messing stuff up. As always any help would be greatly appreciated from you guys! Btw pics are to follow!

s197clutch

photo1 (2).jpg
photo1 (3).jpg
photo1.jpg
photo3.jpg
photo4.jpg
photo5.jpg
photo6.jpg
photo7.jpg

Dinosgt

Established Member
Well guys, I've really enjoyed this thread and the advice I have got from it sooo... Here goes... I got the wheels and tires on and I'm running 9.5 inch wide in the front with a 35mm offset wrapped in a 275/35/20 and the rear is an 11 inch wide with a 50mm offset wrapped in 305/35/20... Now that I have them on I have about 5mm sticking out of the fender as you mentioned (I'm partial to the meaty look even though its a little redneck lol).. Now my question is... I haven't seen anyone other than 101blur running a similar set up.. If I decide to go with the BMR Handling Springs with a 1.5inch drop and a 240 front/ 200 rear spring rate, will they mess the rear quarters or fenders up (I.e. rubbing or wrinkling the quarter panel)? I apologize for the long post but you guys seem to know your stuff and this is the first suspension/ tire modding I have ever done and money is slightly tight with what I can put into it so I'm trying to figure out if I can do the 1 inch or 1.5 inch spring drop and not have to worry about seriously messing stuff up. As always any help would be greatly appreciated from you guys! Btw pics are to follow!
My experience is that a 50mm offset is not enough - however catmonkey had the ultimate advice - just pull the springs in the rear and jack up the rear end and see if any interference occurs . Without trimming the bumpstops, I highly doubt you can get enough compression to rub.

Steve from true forged has had some real world experience, and may differ given the 35 series height though.

Good luck. My wheels should be back soon from the 3mm hub trimming soon. Will report out the results.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

you should be fine. just make sure you install an adjustable panhard bar at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread