Anybody on the fence about the end of the model run?

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
What are your thoughts on buying the 2014 when the brand new model is right around the corner?

I understand the new model may have less horsepower, but I highly doubt Ford will take a step back in total performance (talking just Shelby/Cobra models).

The way I look at it is if you buy the 2014, you're buying the best of the best so far. When the 2015 comes out, the current car may either look even better, or much worse, depending on what's in store for the new model.

bpmurr

Established Member
One of the reasons I went with the Boss was to let the 13 GT500 market soften and see what 2015 brings. If the 2015 doesn't float my boat I might make a play for a 2014 GT500 or just keep the Boss. If the 2015 rocks then I'll probably give it a year and pickup a 2016 with the first year issues worked out.

32ValveSymphony

Established Member
My plan is to get a 2014 GT500 while hopefully knowing what 2015 has in store.

If 2015 is the tits then I'll wait and get a 2016 GT500.

Hopefully Ford will release enough information about the new model that we can make an informed decision on whether to make the jump or not.

Chevy is awfully tight lipped about their new Corvette, and so far, we're not hearing much about the new Mustang other than it will probably be smaller and have IRS.

Drwalker02

2013 GT500 Addict
Established Member
hasnt it typically taken 2 model years to introduce a new gt500? new model 2015, GT500 emerges in 2017?

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
My plan is to wait until March 2013, then consider where prices are with 2013 GT500s, and what colors and other changes have been made for 2014 GT500s. Then, it will just be a decision between either a '13 off the dealer lot or '14 under my order. And, the early info on the 2015 would need to really excite me because I love the 2013-14 and its the first car that's made me want to replace my 12 year old S4 with. I think the 2015's are not likely to have a huge horsepower option and I like the retro style of the s197.

Last edited:

rdsnk46

Established Member
I want a 13 and I can make my purchase when I desire but something is telling me to hold off. I wanted to buy a 2007 GT500 but waited and ordered my 2008 which I got in January of 08. I will drive a 13 tomorrow for the first time, it may seal my fate into an early purchase but only time will tell. LOL!

jonesd

Established Member
Im going to say straight up im not a Chevy fanboy by any means, ive Owned 3 s197s (2005gt with salen supershaker, 2011 gt with 2.9 whipple and built motor, 2011 gt500) and love my fords, but i really feel holding off until the c7 info comes out in January may be worth the wait.

If the rumors are true that not only will the c7 be lighter but also offer an optional dual clutch transmission, along with an interior on par with audi, then the car will be very hard to beat for the money if it stays competitive in price, which many corvette faithful seem to believe it will be the same starting price as a current grand sport. The dual clutch transmission alone would help put even the base corvette in a whole new class again IMO. If they take their zl1 launch control system and transfer it to the corvette, and then modify the system to work well with the dct, it could be a fun ride for sure on the streets.

Even with that being said i really really want to go pick up a new 2013 gt500 this week. It's hard for me to wait when i want something. So i guess if i do pick one up, ill just trade in 3 years once the c7 has all its bugs worked out.

Boss3o2

Established Member
What are your thoughts on buying the 2014 when the brand new model is right around the corner?

My thoughts are, if you have the financial means to purchase a 13 or even a used Shelby. Do it. There is no promise, for crazy hp, tq. cars (especially with all the CAFE regulations being presured onto MFG's). A 2007, or a 2013 GT500, I can assure will make you smile like a little boy on the night before Christmas. Personally, I love the Boss 302 the best out of my current stable of cars (including my UGR Super Leggera).

You could be dead tomorrow, or even worse, be hit with a Mustang II (all over again) with 108HP. :D

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
My thoughts are, if you have the financial means to purchase a 13 or even a used Shelby. Do it. There is no promise, for crazy hp, tq. cars (especially with all the CAFE regulations being presured onto MFG's). A 2007, or a 2013 GT500, I can assure will make you smile like a little boy on the night before Christmas. Personally, I love the Boss 302 the best out of my current stable of cars (including my UGR Super Leggera).

You could be dead tomorrow, or even worse, be hit with a Mustang II (all over again) with 108HP. :D

Boom!

This is the car ive been waiting for my whole life, and me personally love this current S197 style

If i like the new one, I can buy a GT vert auto for my wife to enjoy

AnthonyBourdain

Chef-at-large
Established Member
Im going to say straight up im not a Chevy fanboy by any means, ive Owned 3 s197s (2005gt with salen supershaker, 2011 gt with 2.9 whipple and built motor, 2011 gt500) and love my fords, but i really feel holding off until the c7 info comes out in January may be worth the wait.

If the rumors are true that not only will the c7 be lighter but also offer an optional dual clutch transmission, along with an interior on par with audi, then the car will be very hard to beat for the money if it stays competitive in price, which many corvette faithful seem to believe it will be the same starting price as a current grand sport. The dual clutch transmission alone would help put even the base corvette in a whole new class again IMO. If they take their zl1 launch control system and transfer it to the corvette, and then modify the system to work well with the dct, it could be a fun ride for sure on the streets.

Even with that being said i really really want to go pick up a new 2013 gt500 this week. It's hard for me to wait when i want something. So i guess if i do pick one up, ill just trade in 3 years once the c7 has all its bugs worked out.

If the c7 has all that, hopefully it doesn't look like the Jalopnik pics :puke:

BlackOutUT

Established Member

Couldn't agree more. There will always be something bigger and better on the horizon. If your in love with the 13 GT500 (which most are) and you have the means, go get it and drive it like you stole it! :pepper:

jtfx6552

Established Member
IMHO, every now and then a car comes along that is a quantum leap above what came before it. Yes it will eventually be surpassed, but in the mean time you can have a lot of fun.

Last cars that fit in the category to me are the '03 Cobra and the C6 Z06.

LindsayEOD

Established Member
IMHO, every now and then a car comes along that is a quantum leap above what came before it. Yes it will eventually be surpassed, but in the mean time you can have a lot of fun.

Last cars that fit in the category to me are the '03 Cobra and the C6 Z06.

+1. Well said.

HansHeinen

SHELBYS ARE ME
Established Member
Nostalgic with 2013 because last model Shelby had his input and saw to completion.

I feel the same. I am taking mine to Sebring this november. Carroll was actually on the track there giving input about the car. He did a ride along in the car. I am sure everyone has seen the video. I figure a year later will be fitting.

Warloc

Established Member

Did you take the Superleggera to Tx2k12?

Warloc

brianz426

Established Member
My plan is to wait until March 2013, then consider where prices are with 2013 GT500s, and what colors and other changes have been made for 2014 GT500s. Then, it will just be a decision between either a '13 off the dealer lot or '14 under my order. And, the early info on the 2015 would need to really excite me because I love the 2013-14 and its the first car that's made me want to replace my 12 year old S4 with. I think the 2015's are not likely to have a huge horsepower option and I like the retro style of the s197.

^This.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I expect 2015 to bring cosmetic changes, don't expect the hp war to end anytime soon. There could even be a turbo set up in the future. :dw:

Users who are viewing this thread