Anybody Let their Cobra Sit in sub freezing Temperatures all Day Long?

Cold Brew

Established Member
I have to do this when im at work and im wondering if I should sit in the car for 10 minutes while its idling to let the engine warm up rather than just driving off. Just wondering if the tight tolerances of these motors would cause any damage if I didnt let it warm up first.

Obviously I dont drive off the parking lot screeching the tires, but I am just wondering if any harm could come from not letting the engine warm up after being below freezing all day.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
03SteedaGT said:
With the motor being forged I have always let mine warm up for atleast 2-3mins and more as it gets colder. I guess I would rather be safe than sorry.
That's exactly what I used to do, although it was rare that I drove the car between the months of December and March. But sometimes the bug would bite when the roads were clear and the sun was out. LOL!

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I'm coming into my 3rd Texas winter. We don't get sub-freezing that often, but I give it a minute or two, then stay out of the boost until it's well warmed up. Good luck.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
it's also important to be easy on the trans when it's cold

the fluid needs to warm up a bit to avoid damaging the carbon fiber blockers

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I let mine sit out in the 50's today. Tonight its supposed to be in the 30's with windchill. But she'll be in the garage by then.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
JB said:
it's also important to be easy on the trans when it's cold

the fluid needs to warm up a bit to avoid damaging the carbon fiber blockers

+1. The trans in my car sounds/feels horrible until it warms up a lil.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
I might let it idle for 20-30 seconds before driving off. But I short shift at ~2500rpm or less and stay out of boost until the engine is mostly warmed up.

bunny_power

Snugs has da powah!
Established Member
How cold? A few degrees below freezing doesn't hurt anything, just start it up and go.... if its like -40C you might want to let it run for a while so the transmission thaws a bit before trying to drive anywhere.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
the best way to warm your engine up, get in your car, start it up, let it stabilize for a few seconds, then accelerating slowly drive it like you would normally.. fluids will get to operating temperature quicker etc..

EVILNSS

EVILNSS
Established Member
for some reason.. not sure if anyone else has this issue.... when it let it run for about 6-8 min when its a cold start, and its been cold out... ill go down my street but the car doesnt wanna go past 3000RPM's or it will start to putter... now here the wierd thing... i put it in second, push the clutch in, turn it off and let it roll 15-20MPH and then jump start it... and then its fine.... wierd huh?

xneric

RickyRacer
Established Member
M.O.E said:
I thought it was common sense to warm up a car :shrug:
And the proper way is to start it and drive it gently until it is warm. As for the tranny, you're putting almost no heat into it idling in neutral.

sick03cobra

you made Terminator mad!
Established Member
you should take the forethought to let your car warm up for about 5 mins when its cold...and to take it easy for the first 10-20 minutes driving to let the tranny and rear diff warm up...thats what I do and I have almost 60.000 miles on mine and it runs like a top

Users who are viewing this thread