Anybody know how restrictive the stock mufflers are?

Deespeed99

Established Member
Everyone saying they are making great power through chambered mufflers has not done back to back testing like I did or running a turbo setup. We literally picked up 100-101hp & 1-2lbs of boost from making a pull on pump gas on going from stock mufflers to just opening the cutouts. I can only imagine what the difference would've been on E85. Unless you're running a straight through mufflers with a turbo setup you have to run cutouts. Even if you make power above 700 I'm willing to bet the back pressure levels aren't going to be some where that I'm comfortable with.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Everyone saying they are making great power through chambered mufflers has not done back to back testing like I did or running a turbo setup. We literally picked up 100-101hp & 1-2lbs of boost from making a pull on pump gas on going from stock mufflers to just opening the cutouts. I can only imagine what the difference would've been on E85. Unless you're running a straight through mufflers with a turbo setup you have to run cutouts. Even if you make power above 700 I'm willing to bet the back pressure levels aren't going to be some where that I'm comfortable with.

turbos are different. on a turbo setup the less restriction you have after the turbine the better. with a blower gains wont be nearly as big. if i had a turbo i wouldnt run mufflers at all. the turbos are the mufflers.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
Don't forget about the resonators, the inside diameter is half an inch narrower than the rest of the catback. On a bolt-on car resonator deletes really don't effect anything other than sound but with F/I they probably rob a bit of power.

CPRsm

Not nearly the gains for non turbo cars. The exh on each type functions differently. Chambered mifflers are a disease for turbo cars.

Stock mufflers
20130916_225958_zpsc2d93f54.jpg

kaane

Established Member
I made 720whp on Paxton and E85 on stock exhaust using stock pulley. Barely 9psi. So stock mufflers are not worth 100whp like some claim. I am sure there are gains, but on boosted setups motor strength and fuel system are limitations more than exhaust flow. I like my car quiet.

Deespeed99

Established Member
I made 720whp on Paxton and E85 on stock exhaust using stock pulley. Barely 9psi. So stock mufflers are not worth 100whp like some claim. I am sure there are gains, but on boosted setups motor strength and fuel system are limitations more than exhaust flow. I like my car quiet.

Did you not read that turbo's are different then S/C's? :nonono:

Also my dyno numbers lie? :lol: :nonono:

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Get some JBA'S they are even more quiet and lighter than the GT500 and have a clean sound

Yes but they fit like crap and the tips are way too long... Get the sawsall out, you will have to cut the over axle pipe where it meets with the mid pipe to make fit if you are lucky... I will never buy another set of JBA axle backs.

I will say this... the JBA axle backs do flow more and weigh less then the stock Boss axle backs that can also be found on a V6 car.

Last edited:

burke985

Established Member
Yes but they fit like crap and the tips are way too long... Get the sawsall out, you will have to cut the over axle pipe where it meets with the mid pipe to make fit if you are lucky... I will never buy another set of JBA axle backs.

I will say this... the JBA axle backs do flow more and weigh less then the stock Boss axle backs that can also be found on a V6 car.

I agree there the fitament is not the greatest, its a shame you have to make them work because I think they really do have a good sound. I have JPC Overaxels so I really didn't have an issue aside from the tips because of the adjustability with them.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dynomax Ultra Flow Welded mufflers. Straight thru and are tame when not at w.o.t. If my little American Thunder experiment is a fail I plan to look at these next.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Digging this thread back up. My GT500's have progressively gotten louder. I bought them used off a member here who said he had about 10k miles on them. I have since put another 25k on them. With an o/r H and 3" over axles the cold start at 6am is starting to piss people off. I'm thinking about just throwing the stockers back on. Would any of you not do this?

Users who are viewing this thread