Anybody have there hood unlatch at high speed?

KsE

Established Member
Just bought a new boss a few weeks ago. Finally got it broken in and was giving it the smack down when I noticed the hood shaking over 100mph. I pulled over and seen it actually unlatched...this common and is there a simple fix?

dajohu

Established Member
Not on a Mustang, but the hood came unlatched on my Raptor once. I was just pulling onto the interstate and it came up just a bit. I pulled over ASAP worring that it would fully open and cause damage. I always figured that I just didn't close it very good.

Also I had a 75 Chevy 1/2 ton that the hood came fully open on at speed on the highway. While it was cool to get the natural air braking effect to help slow me down quicker, it sucked because I could not see where I was going at all. I stuck my head out the window and slowed to a stop on the side of the highway. Bent the hood really good, barely got it closed enough so I could drive home. I had to replace the hood. I also blamed that on me not getting it closed all the way.

BMR Tech

I had this happen on my old Cobra.

This was my solution. (I am not a fan of visible hood pins, etc)

HoodPins001.jpg

HoodPins002.jpg

HoodPins003.jpg

It was visible, but could have painted it black and it would never show up in a picture:

DH81.jpg

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Mine has stayed put at 200mph and a couple of 170+mph runs.
It stayed put at 139mph not latched all the way. :bash:

Para81

Established Member
You didn't shut it all the way.

I will say the early S-197's had noticeable hood shake at higher speeds.

Boss is solid as it gets, no movement.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
had this happen in my old 01 gt before, scary stuff, hood flies up, blocks my view of the road, rips in half and slams off the roof while blowing out the windshield. Not a good time. that was about $1500 in damage.

Last edited:

Para81

Established Member
had this happen in my old 01 gt before, scare stuff, hood flies up, blocks my view of the road, rips in half and slams off the roof while blowing out the windshield. Not a good time. that was about $1500 in damage.

90's Mustangs....total garbage.

senderofan

Established Member
Ran my Boss at the track a couple of weeks ago....up to 150 mph with absolutely no issues. Not sure what happened with your vehicle....but guess I'd install hood pins as a precaution.

Wayne

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
To answer the op question directly, no it has never happened to me and no it is not normal. I would take the car to the dealer for a check if you are 100% sure it was completely shut when it happened.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Me and a buddy were traveling roughly 115-120mph and earlier that day I had checked my oil and I was the last one to shut my hood and It was SHUT, anyways the hood popped up on us and I freaked out and he was like WTF!! Thought we were going to meet our maker hahaha, anyways its never happened again but there is some movement at 120-155+ depending on the wind direction.

To be clear while at speed 120mph the hood popped into the position that allows you to unlatch it and open it, it did not fly off and hit my windshield.

Last edited:

isrboss

Established Member
I always drop close the hood, and I don't baby it. I let it drop from a decent height so it slams (treat it like a car door). I then grab both sides of the hood where it comes out from the grille to the headlamps, and pull up a couple of times (2013 model).

I suspect if some of you are closing the hood then pushing it closed, this may not produce a good complete latch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread