Anybody ever have an idler go bad?

HwyKng

Street Beast...
Established Member
I installed my whipple and other mods about 6k miles ago. When accelerating Im hearing like a spinning bearing noise. I can only hear during the begining of taking off, after that the exhaust gets too loud. Hard to tell if its an exhaust leak but i think it may be one of the idlers. Just wondering if you can get the bearing seperate or have to get the idler. I have a billet flow setup. I need to take the belt off and spin em to see if one is bad. Just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone with so few of miles on the idlers?

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Was reading to see if it was with stock idlers..then I would have said hell yes. But you have aftermarket. I would have gone Metco..but thats another discussion. What you can do is place a stock idler on each mount till you find out if it is and which one it is. If it stays with the stock idler in all three positions it very well might be something else. -Shane

jf4boogie

Established Member
I hate to say it, but this has been covered NUMEROUS times...so I just have to ask...did you search at all?

Just replace the bearings. Its not hard and they are only $6 bucks or so a piece. That or you could upgrade to the new dual bearing ones. I dont have the part # right off hand but NAPA usually carries them. Just do a quick search and you should find what you're looking for...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Unfortunately this isn't an uncommon problem. The bearings do go occasionally and have to be replaced. It's not a big deal to do it. Some buy double-bearing idlers for advertised superior bearing life. Metco and Reichard Racing using double-bearings.

Once you find the bad idler you can replace the bearings (if that is the problem).

HwyKng

Street Beast...
Established Member
I hate to say it, but this has been covered NUMEROUS times...so I just have to ask...did you search at all?

Just replace the bearings. Its not hard and they are only $6 bucks or so a piece. That or you could upgrade to the new dual bearing ones. I dont have the part # right off hand but NAPA usually carries them. Just do a quick search and you should find what you're looking for...

I did search with no luck, Thanks
So napa carries the dual ballbearings? I guess the thing to do is take em off and match em up if they do.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread