Anybody else have Customer service issues that has bought the sct prp?

Jamie R.

Established Member
Just curious if anybody else has bought the sct prp only to be disappointed by sct's customer service. Needless to say I'm not overwhelmed with happiness from sct's customer service.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Brutal Metal

Established Member
They didn't know how their software worked with VCT in the new 5.0L, especially in Blown applications, you'd get the pesky wrench icon on the dash and part throttle driveability would suffer. When you called for guidance they had no clue so tuners had to figure a lot out for themselves at the onset SO NO it doesn't surprise me!

Last edited:

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
You can tune just like a dealer/tuner with the PRP, you just dont have access to calibrator level tables.

Chris

AFAIK, the PRP does not come with tuning support for the end user unless you are a dealer.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Jamie- I'm with you, as you have seen you and I go up against SCT on their forums. modularfords.com has supplied me with 100x the insight into PRP that SCT themselves have (eric brooks and kevin@wicked has helped me a ton). I told SCT via chat since they won't answer the goddamn phone that I will never ever buy another product them after all the money I have spent and they won't even let me use one of the handhelds I currently own to tune my f150 using PRP without buying another handheld. gay!

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
You can tune just like a dealer/tuner with the PRP, you just dont have access to calibrator level tables.

Chris

Chris,
What I mean is that if you are a tuner/dealer and call in they will offer tuning tech support.

However if you are just a purchaser of PRP then you are on your own in regards to tuning it.

I could be mistaken but this is my understanding.

01yellercobra

Established Member
When I picked up mine it was my understanding you went to the tuner you bought it from for advice. I ended up going to another tuner for advice, but that's how I learned. I used the forum once in a while just to see how other people were working out certain problems.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
that's pretty much what they told Jamie and I on the pro racer forum. They expect who ever buys PRP to already have a good grasp on tuning etc. lol- if other words they want you to pay for their classes and then buy the PRP and a hand held to tune your car. **** them and their greed.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What year is your F150 and which hand held is it? Justin was talking about the different hand helds on one of the sites. He said the newer cars need the newer hand helds because of the amount of memory. The newer cars need more memory because the tuning files are bigger. And the older hand helds like the Xcal2 don't have enough memory.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
What year is your F150 and which hand held is it? Justin was talking about the different hand helds on one of the sites. He said the newer cars need the newer hand helds because of the amount of memory. The newer cars need more memory because the tuning files are bigger. And the older hand helds like the Xcal2 don't have enough memory.

2004 f150 fx4- xcal3 is what I have

01yellercobra

Established Member
I would think that would be ok to use on the F150. Why are they saying you can't use it to tune the truck? Is it locked to another vehicle?

BTW, I'm BobC on PRP forum.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I would think that would be ok to use on the F150. Why are they saying you can't use it to tune the truck? Is it locked to another vehicle?

BTW, I'm BobC on PRP forum.

awesome- yeah I've seen you on there quite a bit as we have setups that are kinda similar. my grievance with the handheld sitch is that I have PRP- it would be 150 bux to add my truck onto my PRP software. however I would have to buy another xcal3 to get the new tune into my truck (and would be the only time I use the handheld for the truck). the xcal3 I have now is the one I use for my cobra. why in the **** is it required to return a vehicle to stock before you can switch to a different car? So I could use the xcal from my cobra to flash the truck- however I would have to negate that tune in order to return the xcal back to my cobra. so there's no point.

Jamie R.

Established Member
I've seen you on their forum. SCT has this private tuning forum for prp users, but offers hardly any help on there. The sct guys are on this site all the time but it's hit or miss about which posts they will offer help to. I was told to kick my post to the top because thye did'nt like it when I asked for help because my thread had been on there for a while. So next thread I kick it to the top for a week!!!!! No help and not a post after seeing the sct guys on there the whole week!!!! A buddy of mine was helping me with this also and he really convinced me to keep the sct prp because I was ready to get it away from me after seeing how very poor their customer service is.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

01yellercobra

Established Member
awesome- yeah I've seen you on there quite a bit as we have setups that are kinda similar. my grievance with the handheld sitch is that I have PRP- it would be 150 bux to add my truck onto my PRP software. however I would have to buy another xcal3 to get the new tune into my truck (and would be the only time I use the handheld for the truck). the xcal3 I have now is the one I use for my cobra. why in the **** is it required to return a vehicle to stock before you can switch to a different car? So I could use the xcal from my cobra to flash the truck- however I would have to negate that tune in order to return the xcal back to my cobra. so there's no point.

It does suck about having to pay to add the car. And then there's a limit of two per dongle I think. I looked into getting the license to tune Mustangs, but that isn't cheap either. I've never looked into Diablosport, but I imagine they're not much cheaper. As for the hand held, you can't be upset with just SCT for that. Diablo is the same way with their hand helds.

Last edited:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
It does suck about having to pay to add the car. And then there's a limit of two per dongle I think. I looked into getting the license to tune Mustangs, but that isn't cheap either. I've never looked into Diablosport, but I imagine they're not much cheaper. As for the hand held, you can't be upset with just SCT for that. Diablo is the same way with their hand helds.

yes I can be pissed- if I pay to add a vehicle to my PRP I damn well should be able to use the 400 dollar piece of plastic xcal3 I've already paid for to load the goddam tune.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
btw- I ordered Don Lasotta's book last week- should be in any day. I will post on if it helps at all as it is supposed to skip all the basics and deal with the stuff we're dealing with.

01yellercobra

Established Member
yes I can be pissed- if I pay to add a vehicle to my PRP I damn well should be able to use the 400 dollar piece of plastic xcal3 I've already paid for to load the goddam tune.

I wasn't saying you can't be pissed. I was saying don't be pissed at just SCT. I understand what you're saying. Especially now that we have a second Stang that I've thought about playing with the tune on.

Users who are viewing this thread