Anybody change to a smaller pulley on a paxton

stang910

Established Member
Looking for some good info on pulley changes. I'm wanting to make my paxton work a little harder and just want to get an idea what kinda power and 1/4 mile times to expect with different pulley combos. I'd also like to know if your on pump gas or race gas and what fuel pump your using.

My current setup is boss intake, shortblock, and valvesprings, paxton, id1000's, KB BAP, and OR-X. It put down 513/412 on a conservative dyno. I know those numbers sounds low, but to compare a 2.4l KB cobra on 19psi with 18* of timing put down 507 on the same dyno on the same day. I'm trying to put the car close to 700rwhp and hoping that's enough for low low 10's. I'm looking to outrun the KB cobra that I mentioned, he runs mid 10s@130+.

stang910

Established Member
It was a superflow dyno. What do you mean by problem? Are you talking about the low hp/tq readings? If so the dyno was just really conservative. This was on a dyno day that my club was supporting and even my old cobra put down low numbers. Last time on the dyno (dynojet) my old cobra put down 525 and this time it put down 449 and he had added longtubes and the JLT high boost intake to it. Also a forged, ported head, cammed, 15psi whippled 3V only put down 505. It's pretty safe to say this dyno was way off dynojet numbers.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
It was a superflow dyno. What do you mean by problem? Are you talking about the low hp/tq readings? If so the dyno was just really conservative. This was on a dyno day that my club was supporting and even my old cobra put down low numbers. Last time on the dyno (dynojet) my old cobra put down 525 and this time it put down 449 and he had added longtubes and the JLT high boost intake to it. Also a forged, ported head, cammed, 15psi whippled 3V only put down 505. It's pretty safe to say this dyno was way off dynojet numbers.

Damn, thats a very stingy dyno. Like not calibrated right stingy. They should probably have it recalibrated. That said. You should realisticly be north of 580whp with your setup. Put a meth injection kit on it and toss another 3-4psi at it. That should get you close to your 700whp goal. Also, go to a different dyno and do some baselines just to compare.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
id start at the track, and see what kind of #'s your laying down there!

there are always smaller pulley's!

stang910

Established Member
Damn, thats a very stingy dyno. Like not calibrated right stingy. They should probably have it recalibrated. That said. You should realisticly be north of 580whp with your setup. Put a meth injection kit on it and toss another 3-4psi at it. That should get you close to your 700whp goal. Also, go to a different dyno and do some baselines just to compare.

Everybody was wondering why the numbers were so low. A few of us think that they were thinking we would go to them for a tune and was giving us a really low baseline then they were going to recalibrate the dyno to read higher numbers. They all seemed kinda shady and they were trying to justify why the dyno read so low. Just FYI the KB cobra put down 598 and the Whipple 3V put down high 580's on the same dynojet, but different days.

Buster

Established Member
I have a 3.47 pulley and it makes a max of 8.5 PSI at 7500 RPM's, that's no air filter or tube. I'm going to order a 3.25" pulley and hopefully it'll make 10-11 psi. It seems either ford used different size balancers or the step-up in the paxton 2200 has changed. Some guys are making really good power with the stock pulley and seeing 12 psi, I was seeing less than 7 psi with the stock pulley.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have a 3.47 pulley and it makes a max of 8.5 PSI at 7500 RPM's, that's no air filter or tube. I'm going to order a 3.25" pulley and hopefully it'll make 10-11 psi. It seems either ford used different size balancers or the step-up in the paxton 2200 has changed. Some guys are making really good power with the stock pulley and seeing 12 psi, I was seeing less than 7 psi with the stock pulley.

the stock pulley on a paxton is 3.8" should see around 6.5 to 7.5 or so.

the vortech is a 3.6", smaller head unit, sees around 7.5 to 8.5

no one is making 12 with the stock 3.8"

Buster

Established Member
12psi now, not with the stock pulley

Terry, what is your experence with each pulley size? This would be good info since I'm sure you've had many different size pulleys on your car. I know exhaust, intake, and air filter can be a factor in measuring boost but a ball park would be good for your customers to know. I've been trying to figure out why a 3.47" pulley only makes 8.5 PSI without any restriction before the blower. (no tube or air filter).

Buster

Established Member
Looking for some good info on pulley changes. I'm wanting to make my paxton work a little harder and just want to get an idea what kinda power and 1/4 mile times to expect with different pulley combos. I'd also like to know if your on pump gas or race gas and what fuel pump your using.

My current setup is boss intake, shortblock, and valvesprings, paxton, id1000's, KB BAP, and OR-X. It put down 513/412 on a conservative dyno. I know those numbers sounds low, but to compare a 2.4l KB cobra on 19psi with 18* of timing put down 507 on the same dyno on the same day. I'm trying to put the car close to 700rwhp and hoping that's enough for low low 10's. I'm looking to outrun the KB cobra that I mentioned, he runs mid 10s@130+.

I found my problem and I bet it's the same problem your having. Make sure the line that goes to the bypass is not after those goofy check valves, otherwise there won't be any pressure source to keep the bypass closed. I just picked up 6 pounds of boost and the car feels like a 700 hp car now.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
JPC just posted a thread about their 9 second daily driver that is using a 2200. Might check that out.

That's why I tell people the Paxton is the way to go for the $$.

That 9 second combo is bascially what I encompass in the "Beefcake Special" going on.

It's a perfect combination!

RFM50

Established Member
I found my problem and I bet it's the same problem your having. Make sure the line that goes to the bypass is not after those goofy check valves, otherwise there won't be any pressure source to keep the bypass closed. I just picked up 6 pounds of boost and the car feels like a 700 hp car now.

Can you post pictures of what your talking about? Is paxton's instructions wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread