Any way to test the COP besides swapping?

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Here's my story.. Had a misfire at WOT/full boost in the spring. Put in new TR6 and replaced all 8 COP's with new Ford (the GT500 package from Tousley for $214). Problem solved.

Fast Forward to 2 weeks ago.. Washed my engine bay. Now it's right back to doing the same thing. Are these COP's really that sensitive?

Is there any way to test each individual COP to see which one of them, or more than one that I cooked so that I can take them in and get warranty replacement?

Ironhand

Banned
Pull the COPS out and dry them if they are wet. Im thinking that your gapping your plugs on the wide side to begin with and over time they open up alittle. So check the gap as well. A misfire only at WOT is usually a sign of spark blow out.

If it happened right after you washed the engine bay then look at the rubber seals under the coil covers and where the harness goes in between the coil cover and valve covers.

They also make a spark tester that you can get from companies like MAC. Its very cheap too.

Last edited:

Blk04Snake

Established Member
The plugs have been in there for about 3000-3500 miles. I gapped them to 0.032" when I installed them. Could they open up in that small of a timeframe?

I will pull the COP's and put in a dry place for a day or so and check the rubber seals on the covers.

Thanks.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I've heard on numerous ocasions guys spraying their engine compartments and weird stuff like this happens, that's why mine doesn't get dirty enough for that!

hotcobra03

Established Member
well im a guy who power washes weekly...

i had issues like this before...my was caused from passenger o2 ...i think the harness was close to header and had wire exposed...it would spit and spudder when driving in heavy rain also...

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Here is the latest that I observed today while driving it. It does not do it when you get on it if the car is partially warmed up. I don't stomp on it when it's stone cold, but I did when it was part way warmed up just to see how it would act. So I don't believe it's coil or plug related. I also don't think it's tune related since it didn't do it the whole time during my trip to SC or when Rick had it on the dyno at Amazon, and it didn't sputter when I went to the track a few weeks ago either.

Is it possible the MAF or an O2 sensor is causing this since it's only doing it in closed loop (warmed up)?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Are you taking it mudding or something?

With issue so prevalent why are people still spraying water into their engine bays?

:nonono:

thats funny...your so right tho.....

south texas doesnt believe in pavement...when it rains it gets so muddy ...but i miss new jersey for driving in the snow,,,so this is as close as it gets ...

after 8 yrs the coils have just failed ,,,everything else electrical is oem orig..except the alt 1 time

black 10th vert

Established Member
thats funny...your so right tho.....

south texas doesnt believe in pavement...when it rains it gets so muddy ...but i miss new jersey for driving in the snow,,,so this is as close as it gets ...

after 8 yrs the coils have just failed ,,,everything else electrical is oem orig..except the alt 1 time

Wow, I was going to ask the same question about going out mudding with the car! I couldn't imagine why anyone would need to powerwash their engine bay on one of these cars, but I guess you have kind of a unique situation with where you live.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread