ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I don't own a Viper but I would get a 96+ GTS. :rockon:

Last edited:

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
try some viper forums, youll find more info. If you plan on buying a boat, you dont come to a airplane forum.

YoungGun

Established Member
Depends on your plans. If you are gonna build it then get a 96-97 GTS because they come with forged internals. Any later than that and they don't.

However, if you are going for a daily driver then get as new of one as you can afford. The last year or two had ABS and none before that did. Also the 03+ are considered to have a lot better driving characteristics and all around more liveable, but they are also more expensive.

R1Lello

Established Member
YoungGun said:
Depends on your plans. If you are gonna build it then get a 96-97 GTS because they come with forged internals. Any later than that and they don't.

However, if you are going for a daily driver then get as new of one as you can afford. The last year or two had ABS and none before that did. Also the 03+ are considered to have a lot better driving characteristics and all around more liveable, but they are also more expensive.

Actually I believe it's the 2001-2002's that have the non-forged pistons.........up to 2000 you're good

kwkshift

Established Member
1996-1999 had forged internals. 2000 model year cars are called "creampuffs" because they don't have forged internals or ABS. 2001 and up have ABS. The Gen III cars started in 2003. Gen III couples started on 2006.

Except for red, you can only get certain colors in certain years. For example, if you see a yellow or yellow w/ black stripes (bumblebee) you know it's either an 01 or an 02. Blue and whites are 96 or 97. ETC.

A 1996 RT/10 is an odd one. Some people refer to them as a Gen 1.5. They have a Gen 2 chassis, suspension, etc, with a Gen 1 engine. The 1996 GTS, only in blue and white, is all Gen 2.

Gen 2 engines with forged internals can handle about 1000 rwhp and about 1200 rwtq before upgrades are needed such as stronger main caps, rods, etc. Since the engines are so strong, it's common for guys to have superchargers and nitrous both on a stock internal engine.

You should check out Viperclub.org and viperalley.com.

Users who are viewing this thread