Any thoughts on whether or not a glass roof will be added in coming years?

OaktownACE

Established Member
On the 07-14 GT500s, was the glass roof always an option or did it come later? I think it would look great on the GT350.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm sure they could if they wanted to, but the roof shape is stylized on the S550. On the S197 the roof was 'flat'.

krt22

Established Member
What kind of argument against the availability of an option is that? I suppose they shouldn't offer a Vert, A/C, auto, etc either?

AC is fine, sitting in the paddock on a 100+ day is balls hot, so it has real utility. No auto, no vert, leave those for the GT and GT500, the GT350 is a track focused car, no need to lose that focus when you have other cars to fill that void.

And 27lbs for a glass roof not only adds uneeded weight, it also will reduce overall chassis stiffness. Like I said, leave those options to the other cars in the fleet. I'm very happy ford did not compromise anything in the design or the options available

Last edited:

Lemers

Established Member
AC is fine, sitting in the paddock on a 100+ day is balls hot, so it has real utility. No auto, no vert, leave those for the GT and GT500, the GT350 is a track focused car, no need to lose that focus when you have other cars to fill that void.

And 27lbs for a glass roof not only adds uneeded weight, it also will reduce overall chassis stiffness. Like I said, leave those options to the other cars in the fleet. I'm very happy ford did not compromise anything in the design or the options available

Think about the boss...no leather, no upgraded stereo.

With Ford offering Tech package to the GT350, looks like they listened to the customers and gave us the options we wanted.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

How is that an argument against having the option available to those who want it?

With Ford offering Tech package to the GT350, looks like they listened to the customers and gave us the options we wanted.

Bingo

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the glass roof actually increased stiffness... I personally would love to have a glass roof S550 and that's the only thing that makes the 11-14 cars appealing to me.

OaktownACE

Established Member

Actually if I recall correctly the glass roof added rigidity over the metal roof. So there's that to consider.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
And 27lbs for a glass roof not only adds uneeded weight, it also will reduce overall chassis stiffness.

wrong. It actually had increased chassis stiffness.

We get it. You don't like the glass roof on this car as an option. But just say you don't like it. No need to come up with other reasons that aren't true

krt22

Established Member
There is no way the glass by itself is more structurally sound then the metal it replaces, if there is an increase in stiffness, its due to the extra material and framing (ie weight) added to support it. No such thing as a free lunch

krt22

Established Member

They actually didnt, they gave you two take it or leave it packages. One with some compromises for street use and the track pack, and no other stand alone options.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
There is no way the glass by itself is more structurally sound then the metal it replaces, if there is an increase in stiffness, its due to the extra material and framing (ie weight) added to support it. No such thing as a free lunch

Have you been in a glass roof car? It's not ALL glass.

This is going to get ugly man.

Users who are viewing this thread