Any sold axel regrets ??

TerminatorSVT03

Established Member
Really debating wether or not to go solid axel or not.
Don't run at the track like that but I would like to not have to worry about breaking half shafts and spending $500 a pop for Axel's.
On axel number 3 already smh, can't afford dss level 5's either lol
Opinions and advice very much apreciated

20redfire03

Established Member
I am in the same position as you. I want a SRA but not sure I feel like going through the process of the swap. At the moment I am leaning towards a Full FTBR kit and Ford cover.

Emwun Garand

Established Member
Installing the Full Tilt Boogie Racing kit with the Delrin bushings will help worlds. You'll also want to either get one of the new FRPP differential covers, or install a Billetflow differential cover brace. If you do not, you'll switch from breaking axle's to grenading the diff.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
i dont regret going sra ... my irs had the ftbr kit and brace, i do miss the handling advantage of the irs and also the look of the polished exhaust

both the irs and the sra have pros and cons..

but all in all i am more happy with the sra

JDUB348

Established Member
I'm in the process of doing a SRA swap right now. I actually have the IRS still in the car and have the SRA sitting in the garage so its still driveable while i build the axle :)

I too don't want to have to worry about breaking axle shafts because i plan on having the car at 650-700 rwhp. Sure you give up a little ride quality to go SRA, but these arn't cadillacs and they arnt "sports" cars.. they are MUSCLE cars! Not only that, my car has racing seats and a roll bar. No more luxury there.

Theres pros and cons to both setups.. ive just riden in my buddy's mach 1 with a cobra drive train and love the feel of the SRA. Theres also that plus of saying bye bye to wheel hop :D

Last edited:

TerminatorSVT03

Established Member
Installing the Full Tilt Boogie Racing kit with the Delrin bushings will help worlds. You'll also want to either get one of the new FRPP differential covers, or install a Billetflow differential cover brace. If you do not, you'll switch from breaking axle's to grenading the diff.

Already have a IRS brace but I'm just hoping it all works out so I can atleast floor my car doing 40 mph lol last time I did I snapped my passenger side half shaft, didn't even wheel hop, it spun them hooked and the axel shattered lol ridiclous

TerminatorSVT03

Established Member
I'm in the process of doing a SRA swap right now. I actually have the IRS still in the car and have the SRA sitting in the garage so its still driveable while i build the axle :)

I too don't want to have to worry about breaking axle shafts because i plan on having the car at 650-700 rwhp. Sure you give up a little ride quality to go SRA, but these arn't cadillacs and they arnt "sports" cars.. they are MUSCLE cars! Not only that, my car has racing seats and a roll bar. No more luxury there.

Theres pros and cons to both setups.. ive just riden in my buddy's mach 1 with a cobra drive train and love the feel of the SRA. Theres also that plus of saying bye bye to wheel hop :D

Haha you got a point man! I'd rather go sideways then wheel hop lol that's why I bought the car !

SlowSVT

Established Member

You mean to tell us an SRA eliminates wheel hop? Why hasn't anyone posted this in the GT500 section? This would be big news in that crowd.

You do realize you are in the process of "downgrading" your Cobra's suspension :nonono:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
Downgrading in the terms of handling .. you pro irs guys are so bitter with this subject

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
out of all of the sra swaps i have seen on these boards, i think i saw one person say they regretted it, and then went back. it seems very rare to see someone who regretted it.

of course, someone who does it may already have been expecting any drawbacks, and are doing it with straigh line perfomance in mind, instead of handling.

even so, most say they are very happy with it..

and even more of interest to me, not one vert owner i have read about has regretted the decision. they all seem to love it. i have been planning on doing this swap for a while now and i'm looking forward to it. if i hate it, i will go back to irs.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
I think it all depends on what you are trying to do. You plan on doing a lot of road racing events or mountain runs I can see someone regretting it. If you are a drag racer and the car only sees a straight line, the swap is probably perfect!

I'm sticking with the IRS. After experiencing an m3 for awhile, I'm not sure I could be happy with a solid rear car again! I love the handling aspect of the IRS and my car will probably never see much over 500rwhp

Last edited:

BO TY KLR

Established Member
My only regret with the solid is i can no longer see the polished irs exhaust pipes from the back. Other than that i'm happy with solid. Rides a little firmer. I held onto all the irs stuff i could swap back in less than 2 hours if i ever feel the need.

Anabolic

Banned
well if you're uncommonly going to the track.. don't upgrade... the half shafts level 1-5 break just as easy... if you're taking it once in a while just roll launch and leave the enjoyable ride for the street, but if yo're going track car then go SRA

JDUB348

Established Member
I'm not gonna argue with any one over this. I just think it comes down to what your goals are for the car. I myself want the peace of mind knowing that i won't have to replace the half shafts when i eventually get the 2.9 whipple on my car. I want my terminator to be bullet proof.

I'm an ex jeep guy.. i'm coming from solid axles front and rear.. so i guess you could say i'm use to a rough ride lol.

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Really debating wether or not to go solid axel or not.
Don't run at the track like that but I would like to not have to worry about breaking half shafts and spending $500 a pop for Axel's.
On axel number 3 already smh, can't afford dss level 5's either lol
Opinions and advice very much apreciated

Plenty of IRS guys going 10's not breaking axel's and not spending hundereds on FTBR bushings and the like. Something is really wrong if you're on axel #3.

TerminatorSVT03

Established Member
Plenty of IRS guys going 10's not breaking axel's and not spending hundereds on FTBR bushings and the like. Something is really wrong if you're on axel #3.

People are running 10's on a bone stock IRS? I'd love to know how they are doing that mean while my car makes 460 whp and can't even punch the gas doing 40 mph without wheel hoping and snaping the cv's. Mind you as soon as it wheel hops I always let off the throttle, I'm putting the bushing kit on this weekend Hopfully that helps a little , if not I'm going with a built solid axel

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
even upgrading your IRS there is still a chance that it could break. when they break its expensive. you could build a nice SRA for with all the good stuff and sell your IRS and come out with money in your pocket.

if the IRS was so great then why does ford not use them in the shelby, steeda, roush, saleen, or even a mustang gt.

IRS are good by design however fords IRS is weak and not fully developed well like they have in the vetts and vipers.

my advise is to build an irs with good suspension and have lots of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread