Any shifter bracket that doesn't add NVH?

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
Trying to get rid of my miss-shifts by adding a rear shifter bracket, but I don't want any added NVH. Those with experience, can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I didn't get much more added NVH from my Barton 2-post bracket. You can here the mechanical-ness of the trans more when shifting, but it's not crazy loud.

What hurts the trans in the fact the bushing in the OE bracket is soft and allows for the trans to torque under load, causing misalignment. Going to a harder durometer bushing fixes it a good bit, but any time you do that, you get slightly more NVH.

It's simply a trade off.

SirJAG

Established Member
dirty speaks the truth...Steeda does make a bracket with two inserts...one supposedly has less NVH...

mhyjek

Established Member
I didn't get much more added NVH from my Barton 2-post bracket. You can here the mechanical-ness of the trans more when shifting, but it's not crazy loud.

What hurts the trans in the fact the bushing in the OE bracket is soft and allows for the trans to torque under load, causing misalignment. Going to a harder durometer bushing fixes it a good bit, but any time you do that, you get slightly more NVH.

It's simply a trade off.

I second Dirty I put the Barton two post and their is a minor increase but I don't mind but what you get in shift precision under a load is what should have been from the factory not that marshmallow with tin foil bracket that comes from the factory. Whatever brand you get there will be increase nvh do the more direct connection to transmission. I picked the barton because from a design perspective it looks mechanical sound and superior to the others I looked at and oh also all the great reviews too

scott_0

Established Member
as said, NVH is just a fact of life when adding parts to the drivetrain (or suspension) but as said as well, its not that bad at all, Im running a Barton 2 post bracket and shifter, and its not bad imo

mhyjek

Established Member
Steeda and red bushing = no added NVH , mine actually got quieter
So I guess "got quieter" you mean there is less vibration in the shifter? Because If you increase the structural integrity of the shift mount the vibration has to go somewhere. I've read steeda's claim of not increasing NVH but it does not claim to reduce. It's like a butt dyno very subjective, but with that being said from steeda's design it looks like it would be less than the barton but there would be more deflection than the barton

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
It seems the concensus was the Steeda so I put in an order today. I'm happy with my shifter now as far as throw and feel. The Hurst in my 07 is responsible for some of my right elbow problems (I'm sure). So I am just looking to not embarrass myself with any more missed shifts.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
I just have the steeda shifter. Has more nvh for sure. I have the silver ball from the interior upgrade, makes it louder. I took a clear oring and put it under the ball. Definitely helped

burke985

Established Member
So I guess "got quieter" you mean there is less vibration in the shifter? Because If you increase the structural integrity of the shift mount the vibration has to go somewhere. I've read steeda's claim of not increasing NVH but it does not claim to reduce. It's like a butt dyno very subjective, but with that being said from steeda's design it looks like it would be less than the barton but there would be more deflection than the barton

Just depends on the bushing u use with the steeda shifter bracket. The black bushing had a considerable amount more NVH because of it being stiffer. The red bushing is softer of the two and is more of a daily driver friendly and still 20 times better than the stock bushing with all the slop they left in it. I mean quieter as in the same as stock and I notice it less.

TrumpetLon

Established Member
I used the Energy Suspension urethane bushing to replace the stock POS rubber. No NVH at all and I don't miss 3rd at high RPM's any more. It's still the stock shifter, but better.

65sohc

Established Member
I got the Steeda. I wanted to use the milder red bushing but absolutely could not cram it on lying on my back 6 inches below the floorpan. I reluctantly installed the black bushing. It is split so it wraps easily around the shifter, whereas the red bushing is one piece and must be forced on lengthwise. Easy on a lift. A bitch on jackstands. Much to my relief the black bushing works great. The only change in NVH is a dull thunk at times but nothing obnoxious.

86merc

Established Member
I have used the Barton 2 post bracket and the Steeda with both bushings. The Barton is not bad. But added more noise than the Steeda with the red bushing that I replaced. But not a lot of noise. I started with the black bushing in the steeda mount and it was loud. Very loud. That is why I changed to the red bushing. And I could not feel any major difference between the red or black bushing as far as shifter deflection is concerned.

If you are buying just that bracket I say it would be hard to beat the Steeda bracket with the red bushing.

I drove a couple MGW cars. Did not like at all. And noise was bad. A couple of the guys actually sold the shifter because they were tired of it. You can read reviews on the shifters and brackets all over this form. Do a search and see shifter brackets and shifters have been talked about many times.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I drove a couple MGW cars. Did not like at all. And noise was bad. A couple of the guys actually sold the shifter because they were tired of it. You can read reviews on the shifters and brackets all over this form. Do a search and see shifter brackets and shifters have been talked about many times.

If you heard that much noise from an MGW, even with the older bracket, chances are it was installed incorrectly. I've seen it a few times and it's typically the boot MGW includes in their kit that's not installed properly.

Users who are viewing this thread