Any roofers out there? - Problem with contractor

verbal

Established Member
I just had my roof replaced last week. The estimator initially felt that a lot of the plywood sheathing could be saved and thought that replacing all the sheathing was not necessary. We agreed that they would replace by the sheet and left the estimate open for additional plywood if it was needed. The contractor brought 30 sheets and ended up using them all. This was about half a roof worth of sheathing.

I went up on the roof this morning and did a walk around. I noticed that there are still soft spots in the sheathing in some areas. It is not extremely bad but bouncy when you put all your weight on it. Two small areas are bad.

I am wondering if this is normal to have a certain softness in a roof that is not completely new and if it was okay that they re-shingled over it. I am going to argue with them about fixing the two bad spots but do I have anything to worry about with the bouncy areas? When I called them this morning they seemed to get defensive about it and said that does not mean it is bad if it is a little soft.

I don't understand why they did not continue to replace plywood as I said I was fine with paying for it if it was necessary.

Thanks

scottminot

Established Member
Had my roof replaced about 16 years ago by a crappy contractor. Instead of replacing or covering the 90 year old wood with new plywood on the roof they removed the old shingles and installed new. Problem was that there were soft spots and 2-3" gaps between some of the wood planks.

Fast forward about 10 years. Had a storm roll through with heavy wind and I got a call from my brother that lives next door. My roof was in his yard.

Wasn't until then that I saw what shady work the contractor had done.

The same contractor started my house on fire while replacing a roof on an extension causing $13,000 in damage. But that's another story.

The contractor died shortly after I sued that crap out of him.

Soft spots are bad :(

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
The bounce you might be feeling is the deflection of the sheets b/w the trusses. Even on a brand new roof you feel a little bounce since 2' is a decent size span.

Soft spot no good, bounce could be normal.

Rct851

Established Member
What's your rafter spacing, plywood thickness?

Yes roof estimator/supervisor

If we're talking half a house we always urge to redeck the whole thing, just to keep these problems away

Further if they brought 30 thinking that's how much they might need then it was irresponsible to not sell you a complete redeck

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
When I had my roof done a few years ago I had it stripped down to the rafters and had all the sheeting replaced. And while the roof was off I went up there with a shop vac and cleaned the interior out and blew in insulation. Made a huge difference.

verbal

Established Member
What's your rafter spacing, plywood thickness?

Yes roof estimator/supervisor

If we're talking half a house we always urge to redeck the whole thing, just to keep these problems away

Further if they brought 30 thinking that's how much they might need then it was irresponsible to not sell you a complete redeck

Spacing is 16" and plywood is 1/2". They didn't think that they were going to use all the plywood but did. I am also wondering if the crew ran out of plywood and decided not to go get more.

So does this need to be repaired now? I am selling the house in two years and now I feel that this won't pass a home inspection.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Why not have another roofer take a look at it? Even if you paid someone to look at it, at least you'd have (hopefully) a good second opinion. Just a thought.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Some deflection is okay as long as the existing wood is not rotten. Is your roof system prefabricated trusses or framed? Most pre-engineered truss roofs are of 2"x4" construction set 24" on center, these tend to deflect/bounce. However, stick built roofs, that are 16" on center, have next to zero deflection due to the heavy duty construction.

Have you been into the attic to inspect at the underside of the roof? Water stains? Wood rot?

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
Some deflection is okay as long as the existing wood is not rotten. Is your roof system prefabricated trusses or framed? Most pre-engineered truss roofs are of 2"x4" construction set 24" on center, these tend to deflect/bounce. However, stick built roofs, that are 16" on center, have next to zero deflection due to the heavy duty construction.

Have you been into the attic to inspect at the underside of the roof? Water stains? Wood rot?

This. Look at the underside.

16" vs 24" makes a huge difference in the 'feel' on the roof as well.

verbal

Established Member

It is framed construction built in 1958. Rafters are spaced at 16". I was in the attic and the spots that are bouncy do not seem to have water damage. The one spot that is bad around the chimney clearly shows signs of soak. When I say bouncy it is the sheathing, not the entire rafter flexing. If I put my foot in between the rafters the sheathing will flex.

verbal

Established Member
Why not have another roofer take a look at it? Even if you paid someone to look at it, at least you'd have (hopefully) a good second opinion. Just a thought.

I will see how the conversation goes when the roofer comes back to look at it. I have a feeling they are going to try to completely blow off any of the problems that I show them.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Your existing sheathing could have very well been 3/8 plywood. That was the sheathing of choice from late 50's to the late 60's for roof sheathing. As others have stated, take a look at the underside in the attic and look for delamination of the layers of plywood. If you see any layers peeling away, insist on replacement. Minimal deflection of plywood will not hurt the new shingles as they have pliability, however old shingles will break under stress.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Had my roof replaced about 16 years ago by a crappy contractor. Instead of replacing or covering the 90 year old wood with new plywood on the roof they removed the old shingles and installed new. Problem was that there were soft spots and 2-3" gaps between some of the wood planks.

Fast forward about 10 years. Had a storm roll through with heavy wind and I got a call from my brother that lives next door. My roof was in his yard.

Wasn't until then that I saw what shady work the contractor had done.

The same contractor started my house on fire while replacing a roof on an extension causing $13,000 in damage. But that's another story.

The contractor died shortly after I sued that crap out of him.

Soft spots are bad :(

:lol:That escalated quickly.

verbal

Established Member
The roofing company owner came back today and agreed that it was not done right. They are replacing an additional 7 sheets of plywood! How does that happen? I am really glad I decided to check their work before it was too late. Thanks for everyone's responses.

Users who are viewing this thread