Any rhyme or reason to which halfshaft breaks first?

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Just being curious here, thought for sure my passenger side would be the first to go...but nope, driver side beat it to the punch.

Discuss...

GodStang

Established Member
Nope I broke my driverside and my buddy broke his passenger side. Just luck of the draw.

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
Usually it will be a failure to the passenger side first on the majority of half shafts. This due to the way the vehicle torques to the right and squats. Thus back and to the right and unloads the right rear tire first and causes wheel hop and then kaboom.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Mine have held up to a bunch of abuse...threw another stocker in there and will be back at the track next week.

Just kinda wanted to see what everyone else was seeing, just seemed odd to me to break the driver side first.

03 KYL

Established Member
I have broken 2 halfshafts, both on the driver's side. Close friend has also broken one, his was also on the driver's side.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm going out on a limb here and say that the actual torque load goes on to the passenger side and unloads from the drivers side. I believe the right rear is where people mount that air bag that is supposed to improve drag launches.

Traction conditions can and will vary and which ever side hops first is most likely going to be the axle that snaps.

I believe it is the drivers side that unloads from the torque twist and is the most frequent hop victim.

Over quite a few years of observing these threads the trend appears to me to be drivers side carnage is more prevalent.

It will be interesting to see how the count ends up in this thread.

DE07GT

Established Member
Driver's side. It didn't hop, it just broke. The outer CV on the passenger side had some play in it, but it didn't snap the splines in half like the driver's side.

yellow_04

Established Member
Busted 2 driver side halfshafts on track launches,one inner one outer....and one passenger side shaft on the 1-2 shift on the street:shrug:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Usually it will be a failure to the passenger side first on the majority of half shafts. This due to the way the vehicle torques to the right and squats. Thus back and to the right and unloads the right rear tire first and causes wheel hop and then kaboom.

You are correct about the twist but it loads not unloads the right rear making loss of traction and hop less likely. The left side appears to me to be the unloaded side.

this should have a poll on it..just saying

Would have been interesting.

Current carnage count:(*drag racing side effect)

Drivers side:-------Passenger side
-------( 10 )-------------( 3 )

*I have not seen anyone do this at an HPDE/Open Track event yet.:p
Though I have seen plenty off in the grass or in the pits with hood up spewing coolant all over :nonono:.:-D

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I must have a factory freak.
My car has been raced for 7 years hard launching on slicks and spray running mid 10s with 1.5x 60' times.
All on the original factory half shafts.
I had 2 spares in the garage just in case of breakage but it never happened.
Luckily!

da2k17

Established Member
broke my drivers side a few weeks ago. made ~20 passes but never launched hard until the day it broke, took eight 3500- 4k clutch dump launches and then said FML...

Users who are viewing this thread