Any reason to run a colder plug with E85?

65fastback2+2

Established Member
you know...ive read several times that e85 you need a colder plug. I ran TR6 on my lightning and they worked GREAT @ 18psi. Then I got to researching and the auto-ignition temp of e85 is 150* higher than gasoline. Seems to me, that you could run a hotter plug with e85. So, i dont know why everyone goes colder.

jblood37

Established Member
I've wondered this as well. I would think you would not need to run a cooler plug w e85. Maybe 04sleeper can chime in. Try putting this in the distillery section too maybe?

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
you know...ive read several times that e85 you need a colder plug. I ran TR6 on my lightning and they worked GREAT @ 18psi. Then I got to researching and the auto-ignition temp of e85 is 150* higher than gasoline. Seems to me, that you could run a hotter plug with e85. So, i dont know why everyone goes colder.

I have heard that e85 is both higher and lower auto ignition temp... and have heard no neliable source as to what is correct...

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Unless you are having issues with detonation (which I doubt), then stick with the TR6's Craig. You will most likely make more power. This has been my experience anyway.

TORQJNKY

Unless you are having issues with detonation (which I doubt), then stick with the TR6's Craig. You will most likely make more power. This has been my experience anyway.

Thanks Kevin. That's what I have in the car now, so I will stick with it and see what happens. Having to retune the car because I decided to go to the ID1300's on my car. Shouldn't take too many adjustments to get it right again. :beer:

TORQJNKY

Why the switch? Running out of fuel?

Yes but it was more than just the injectors. So when I was on the dyno last, we were running out of fuel between 5500-6000 rpm's. Couldn't figure out why. Turns out, the BAP I bought/installed was only a regular 17.5V Dual BAP when I purchased a 20V Competition BAP. I didn't check the BAP voltage after I installed it, I just assumed I received what I purchased and installed it. There are no markings on the BAP to visually indicate which is which, so it could have been a packaging issue. At any rate, I returned the regular BAP and installed the Comp BAP but my IDC's are getting up there, so I'm moving up to give myself a little more room. I've heard a lot of good things about he 1300's on E85, so why not!

04ASSASSIN

Established Member
I run the tr6 plug at 22psi and nitrous. No problems and its what my tuner told me to run.

Users who are viewing this thread