Any project managers out there?

04owmach

Established Member
I have an interview tomorrow with a company for a project management position. Any one out there have any advice for me. I've been a Cnc machinist for a couple years since graduating and love my job but want somewhere where I can move up.

cobraetti

part of the zombie squad
Established Member
I am sure the field will change the outlook of this position a lot, but I work as a project manager for a mechanical contractor. I find the best way to go about it is tackle all issues immediately, organization is key. I often go home and think about "projects" all night long and different possible solutions its often a game of strategy and luck sometimes. The positive for me is I am always in the field doing the above which affords the opportunity to take care of things during the daytime when everyone else is at work. As far as my profession/trade it is defiantly a step upward from the rest of the positions the trade offers.

04owmach

Established Member
They do carbon fiber work for civilian and military aircraft. If you are starting a completely new project how do you plan what needs done first? Say it has 10 parts that are all needed for the finished piece. How do you guys figure out what needs done first if one part is not anymore important than another?

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
^^ Just lay out a basic schedule with durations and which pieces can be worked on concurrently. As long as you know what's going on and its done in an efficient manner everything should be great.

04owmach

Established Member
^^ Just lay out a basic schedule with durations and which pieces can be worked on concurrently. As long as you know what's going on and its done in an efficient manner everything should be great.

thanks! thats kind of what i assumed but just wanted to see what actually works out in the field. The place i currently work at has absolutely terrible logistics so i know what not to do. If you guys were to hire a project manager what is the ONE thing you would look for??

coposrv

Established Member
Are you organized and can you multitask? Are you a good babysitter? I think this summarizes my job best.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Any of you work in software development? We don't currently have a manager and would love some thoughts on agile and such.

Hone03

Established Member
Are you a good babysitter?

x 1,000
Getting all the different players/groups on the same page and schedule AND playing nice is the challenge (and often the amusement).
The specific industry dictates the extent you have to deal with this.

04owmach

Established Member
Are you organized and can you multitask? Are you a good babysitter? I think this summarizes my job best.

I am organized and multitasking is basically my current job. Get the cnc machine set up and running and then go on to machining on the manual machines while keeping the cnc running as much as possible. So i think im ok there. I am fine when getting people to do things that are the same age as me (23), but never really had to do that kind of thing with anyone older. I worked at an oreillys when i was in high school and college and was basically a night manager as i dealt with customer problems and getting all the paperwork done after 5. I'm just a little nervous about dealing with older people who dont want to listen to me because i am young. Any advice there?

Kannif

I'm that guy!
Established Member
You can always ask the elders input to help ease that bridge between ages as well as to give you some insight into their train of thought.

Rct851

Established Member
Organization, planning and good sports radio station

And I second tackle problems IMMEDIATLY to keep on schedual

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
If you are a good project manager, prepare to clean up other peoples' messes. A lot. Other than that is key to be organized, punctual and respectful to all people you deal with amongst your projects.

prs97

Established Member
Think herding cats...

Good luck with the interview.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
PM here as well, I oversee an entire division of the company I work for (cabinetry) that creates an entirely different product line (casework) for a particular account. We are like an OE manufacturer for them.

Ill ensure POs are entered, product materials are purchased, the job is scheduled for production accordingly and any hiccups ill figure our options and present then to my customer. I also personally QC some if the larger projects before they are cleared for shipment. Oh and I cost out the product as well figuring labor hours necessary, cost of materials, etc.

Most the time its about making sure all the depts are working towards the same goal on every project.

Last edited:

canibus

Established Member
I do work for a company that has terrible project managing. They've been through a few. It's a tough gig, because if you're unfamiliar with the length of time it should take for something to be finished, it's impossible to work out a schedule. My best advice would be to listen and execute. Take what the labor tells you seriously, cause at the end of the day, they're doing all the work.

Users who are viewing this thread