Any problems with 2.80 and no idler?

WIRELESS

Were all crazy here....
Established Member
I am going to put on my 2.8 but I haven't purchased an idler pulley. Is it primarily to keep extra tension on the blower pulley or is there an issue with the belt bring thrown off under hard accelereation. Thanks in advance.....

chrisle7220

Established Member
Yeah from hearing about other people having belt slip, id say get the idler. A 2.93" pulley could probably pass without an idler, but anything below that will cause belt slip.

sso2028

Established Member
i get no belt slip whatsoever with the 2.8 pulley and if it does it is so minimal you would never see the difference.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Originally posted by sso2028
i get no belt slip whatsoever with the 2.8 pulley and if it does it is so minimal you would never see the difference.

Same here using a Gates 733. ;-)

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
I got a 2.76(close enough to 2.8) with an idler and I got belt slip after a little while when the belt got cut down some. New belt, no slip!

03SonicCobra

Got NX?
Established Member
Have the 2.8 w/o the idler last year and I blown the belt within 3k, this year with the idler 6k and the belt still fine.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by sso2028
You will! A 2.80 is too small a diameter pulley and the belt IS going to slip eventually. If your 2.80 is a "non-slip" pulley you'll be at best borderline. No way is a 2.76 not going to slip without an idler. Why risk it? Go with at least one idler.
:shrug:

WIRELESS

Were all crazy here....
Established Member
I am going to add an idler...hope to pick one up this weekend at Beech Bend, but I may run around for a day or two without the idler. So the concensus is it will be OK for a 100 miles or so until I add the idler.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh, most definitely. You shouldn't have any issue at all. Even if the belt does slip a bit you'll just get some belt dust. Maybe lose a couple of hp. Nothing major! Where are you getting your idler?

kneedragger

Rough and Toothless
Established Member
I have a 2.93 pulley with a gatorback belt and my belt is slipping like crazy. I tried a smaller belt, same problem. I have the idlers on order. Also I have heard from the local shops that going to a 2.80 gives no horsepower benefits. I don't know if this is true, but they said they dynoed them back to back on 3 different cars and only got a slight bump in torque. They were flashing the custom chip with it also.

WIRELESS

Were all crazy here....
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Oh, most definitely. You shouldn't have any issue at all. Even if the belt does slip a bit you'll just get some belt dust. Maybe lose a couple of hp. Nothing major! Where are you getting your idler?

I actually talked to Rick at Amazon yesterday and decided to go 2.93 w/ idler and let him reprogram my Predator. I live here in Bowling Green so I am just waiting for him to get here!!!! HURRY UP RICK!!! jk

cobra93teal

Psycho Pilot Racing
Established Member
i had a little slip with no idler...but it was not horrible...i now have an idler and it IS better.....but for now it is fine without it

Users who are viewing this thread