Any other firefighters here?

collinzx6r

Fighter of Fire
Established Member
So, my department just hosted the physical portion of our new hire test for an open spot (and the spot that will need to be filled when I leave for a bigger department in June) and I was wondering if there are any other career firefighters here. If so, how is the hiring process with your department? Easy, difficult, long, short, ect...? Also, what are some things you can say you love about the department and on the other end of the spectrum, what are the things that could use some addressing. I'm sure there is plenty...

roadracer247

Established Member
Most big city departments have very high turn outs for tests because (in general) the requirements for taking the test are low. So you'll get a lot of applications. Benefits of a big city department are that there's a place for everyone because every station has its own personality. Lots of room for promotion. Downsides are that it can be very hard to change anything because of the sheer numbers. Also, you'll generally get more attention from the media (good and bad) for everything you do. This is a topic that could be discussed for literally years and years. Plus you're asking Firefighters for their opinions.....opinions are like assholes....

collinzx6r

Fighter of Fire
Established Member
I understand how hiring processes are for both both large and small departments, as I've been in the fire/ems profession for some time now. That wasn't the intent of the thread. I just wanted to see what differences some may have withing their department. Sure, most big cities will use the CPAT or something similar for their physical, but the majority of the smaller departments issue a physical geared more toward the standards of that specific department. Also, big city hiring processes are stretched out over the course anywhere from 6 months to a year. Again, small departments are different. That's a given... I just wanted some feedback on the differences one may have withen their actual department. Any comments are appreciated, however feedback from those in the profession, if any choose, is what I'm interested in hearing.

fireman02

Established Member
My dept went to the CPAT for the first time with our test last year. We used to have our own physical agility test, but to save money CPAT was used and applicants had to be paramedics already. I personally liked our physical agility test better because it was more difficult and weeded out more people from our past lists. We had some pretty out of shape people with their CPAT cards make our list that probably wouldn't have in past tests. My dept is decent sized, 100 sworn personnel, 4 stations, 6500+ calls a year, etc... Our process takes 4-6 months and the lists are good for 2 years.

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well I've only done one hiring process when I got hired 8 years ago. I found the testing procedure not overly difficult but it wasn't easy. If you've ever had to do the CPAT you know the first event the stair stepper has like a 85% failure rate. And that's being optimistic. My dept has around 400 people all paid professionals. The hiring process from start to finish was about 6 months. Since 2007 we have hired a rookie class every year with atleast 20 ppl. We are currently an ISO class 1 Fire Dept.

roadracer247

Established Member
Well I am in the profession & I thought I was answering your question... Demanding new guy. Also, Cobra's answer is definitely something you'd hear from a Fireman. So I'm pretty sure you're getting feedback. My department has well over 1000 members.

Our department just started using a third party company to administer the test. I was hired before they started using these guys. I've heard a lot of complaints. Most of the guys at my house complain about the new guys. No real skills (like in the trades), entitled complainers.

Oh & the hiring process is way longer than a year from our test. The last list just expired after about 7 years (if you count from when they started taking applications.) When I got hired, our tower made up less than half of one percent of those who applied. Quick background investigation. Short chiefs interview. To this day, no idea how any of us got picked. :D

the gillz

_
Established Member
I took the exam like Septemberish 2010 and went thru the process and walked into the academy Jan 1st 2012. I sold used cars during the process until I was selected

neatofrito1618

Established Member
With the last department I applied with I took the written in August was given a start date in May. I received a contingency offer upon completion of medical/poly/psych but ended up failing the poly.

collinzx6r

Fighter of Fire
Established Member
If you've ever had to do the CPAT you know the first event the stair stepper has like a 85% failure rate. And that's being optimistic.

No joke. Our test starts with the stair climb also, but that's the only part that is set up the same as the CPAT. We had numerous people quit before the 30 second warm-up was even over, one of which was in his steel toes... Adding that 75 lbs smokes people QUICK

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
When I got hired it was the departments own PAT. that changed a few years ago to the CPAT. Hiring process took a year for me. Panel interview, chief interview, background check, polygraph, psych evaluation, and full physical. Then 4 weeks of orientation. There was a 7 month period where I didn't hear a word. I am in Florida. My department has 22 stations, 670 sworn personnel and runs roughly 73,000 calls a year. ALS engines and rescues which transport and fight fire and BLS ladder trucks. We also have ARFF, Hazmat, TMRT, USAR and Marine. I am assigned to a marine station which has an engine, brush truck and 27' Boston whaler fireboat. Our big fireboat is a 69' made by metal craft. Huge $2 million piece of shit.
I am a F/F paramedic, I relief drive and have my oupv 6 pack master 50 ton captains license. Coming up on 5 years on the job

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
My oldest has been a fire/medic in our town here for 10 years, and a member here. Also, almost done with nursing school. I'll see if I can get him to log in, but doubt it.

collinzx6r

Fighter of Fire
Established Member
I've been putting off getting my medic as long as I can. Been more focused on getting my degrees. I'm a double major in fire science and business administration. I'll have my fire science degree at the end of this semester and hopefully will be able to finish a masters in business administration within the next two years. I guess I could head to paramedic school then...

collinzx6r

Fighter of Fire
Established Member
My oldest has been a fire/medic in our town here for 10 years, and a member here. Also, almost done with nursing school. I'll see if I can get him to log in, but doubt it.

Is he planning on leaving the fire service? I was just talking to a guy from another dep who just finished nursing school recently and is trying to set himself up for PA school to get out of the profession.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Is he planning on leaving the fire service? I was just talking to a guy from another dep who just finished nursing school recently and is trying to set himself up for PA school to get out of the profession.

Not at all, he loves it to much. He can just work at the local hospitals on his 2 days off between shifts. He's more Paramedic than fire, and actually the EMS Captain for a while. He let that go because he liked being in the action more.

joes03cobra10th

Established Member
Just to apply I needed my cpat, medic, and associate degree. Then written test, interview, background check, poly, psych, and medical evaluation. Best job in the world. I haven't had to "Work" one day.

phil a

Established Member
If you've ever had to do the CPAT you know the first event the stair stepper has like a 85% failure rate. And that's being optimistic.

Is this accurate?? Who do you see fail this event more/most often - the bigger guys or the smaller guys? I guess I'd be considered a 'smaller' guy, and the 75lbs was a much bigger percentage-by-body-weight for me, but then again, I made it through the maze pretty easily :-D

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
Not being a medic down here isn't even an option. It's mandatory within 3 years of being hired or your terminated no questions asked

collinzx6r

Fighter of Fire
Established Member
Is this accurate?? Who do you see fail this event more/most often - the bigger guys or the smaller guys? I guess I'd be considered a 'smaller' guy, and the 75lbs was a much bigger percentage-by-body-weight for me, but then again, I made it through the maze pretty easily :-D

I'd say its pretty accurate. The weight isn't the only thing that gets people. Since your not able to hold the railing once the actual test begins, being able to keep balanced becomes a huge problem for some. From my experience, the bigger guys have more of a problem than the smaller ones. Bigger guys and women. Although, I have seen lots of guys who look perfectly capable of breezing through, fail miserably. I've found that holding the vest around your chest area gives you the best balance since it keeps your weight more centered.

Users who are viewing this thread