any ongoing Paint & Body projects?

KTTrucks

Premium Member
Established Member
Just wanted to test the waters... soo how many folks do their own bodywork and painting. Despite regulations and a constantly changing set of supplies and materials, there's still money to be saved and satisfaction to be had by "doing it yourself"

Holla!

KT

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Getting ready to tear down my 67 C code. Tossed on manual stripping or hiring a local soda blaster for the job. I have no experience in this what so ever but do a ton of reading and watching shows;-)

Also trying hard to find a used rotisserie. Does not look like many people out there are willing to part with them.

Plans are for a full Heights suspension accompanied by a full drivetrain / interior swap from a 2011 + 5.0.

Any recommendations for the tear down?

Thanks Tim

Last edited:

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Getting ready to tear down my 67 C code. Tossed on manual stripping or hiring a local soda blaster for the job. I have no experience in this what so ever but do a ton of reading and watching shows;-)

Also trying hard to find a used rotisserie. Does not look like many people out there are willing to part with them.

Plans are for a full Heights suspension accompanied by a full drivetrain / interior swap from a 2011 + 5.0.

Any recommendations for the tear down?

Thanks Tim

I stripped my pops 67 awhile back. It was a tedious task, but worth it to know it was done right. I need to get back and finish it up, most of the bodywork is done. Just need to fix a couple imperfections prime once more and water sand. Here are some older photos of the strip process:

https://picasaweb.google.com/momentlapse/67Mustang

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Finished up a little rocker repair on my 2000 XJ Jeep a few weeks ago. Not professional work by any means, but plenty good enough for a 12 year old DD with 200,000 miles on it.

I'd really like to get the SVTP trailer repainted with Ford Oxford White paint. The factory coating is pretty tired and very thin. Painting a 32 foot should be fun, think I'll try to enlist some help on that one.

thebestdj07

Established Member
just finished up with mine. took about 3 mo. its oem code white. zr i think. with blue pearl mid coat and clear. took 10 hours a side to wetsand. and another 4 hours to buff it up.

KTTrucks

Premium Member
Established Member
as far as the stripping process goes, be aware that soda blasting, although VERY kind to metal, need a separate process of cleaning after the blasting. The residue will interfere with paint, primer, etc.. .sticking to the metal, and unless you thoroughly clean it it can leach out of pinch seams and gaps... not good. Mechanical is more cost effective for you, but it takes more time.... it depends on what resource you have most, time or cash... either way it costs :) To strip manually, I'd recommend an aircraft stripper and scrapers to start.... then when you gedt it close to all bare steel, come back with 80 grit to clean any residue off, follow that with 180 of the metal is ready for primer, coarser than that if oyu need to do bodywork. For teardown, make sure you use a digital camera BEFORE you disassemble anything..... keep one in the shop, and before you take off bolts and parts, take a picture. during disassembly, label EVERYTHING!!!!!! no matter how rediculous it may seem to put an ide tag or tape on your door handle ( you know it's a door handle...) do it anyway. If you take a bold out of the headlight bezel.... PUT IT BACK INTO THE PART IT CAME FROM.... this is much easier than searching through a ton of envelopes or a bolt bucket dumped out on the floor for a specific fastener. When you go to reassemble the car, you can group parts according to the tags and be much more organized, and finding specific fasteners ( flush mount screws for the drip rail molding, dome head fasteners for latches,, spring steel clips for lock rods... etc) This precess costs time and energy on disassembly and teardown, but SAVES BIGTIME on reassembly.

KT.

Last edited:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Thanks for the follow up! My car was previously restored and it appears the entire car was bondo'd. Some areas are as much as an 1/8th inch thick. Will the stripper remove this or will that have to be sanded and redone. The bondo in many areas is cracked, and some places completely cracked off leaving nothing but exposed metal.

Time is definately the best resource in this case. As for the dissassembly process it seems I am on the right track. Have my labels, HD freezer zip lock bags, sharpies, and plastic tubs so i should be good there.

Any chance you can provide a link to the instructional DVD's you spoke about in the other thread? That person looking to paint the Fox is a friend so I may do some of the work with him as well for learning purposes.

KTTrucks

Premium Member
Established Member
Go to Kevin Tetz's Paintucation OFFICIAL SITE The home page has video clips with hilights of each DVD. or go to my youtube channel Paintucation and see the same clips as well as other tech tips.

As far as the skim coat of filler on the whole car... not that uncommon... but to really get to the metal and see what's going on ( especially with cracked filler) you need to strip all the way do bare steel. The chemicals just kinda gum up the old filler... you're probably time ahead to strip with chemicals, the ngrind the filler out with 36... By then you'll know if you need to replace it with "new" filler and tweak your surface.

KT.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Go to Kevin Tetz's Paintucation OFFICIAL SITE The home page has video clips with hilights of each DVD. or go to my youtube channel Paintucation and see the same clips as well as other tech tips.

As far as the skim coat of filler on the whole car... not that uncommon... but to really get to the metal and see what's going on ( especially with cracked filler) you need to strip all the way do bare steel. The chemicals just kinda gum up the old filler... you're probably time ahead to strip with chemicals, the ngrind the filler out with 36... By then you'll know if you need to replace it with "new" filler and tweak your surface.

KT.

Awesome, Thanks! This got me motivated so I started tearing down a bit last night. Picking up the DVD set too!

KTTrucks

Premium Member
Established Member
Cool! let us know if we can help.... there's alot of guys on here that've been in your shoes, and everyone wants you to do well!

KT.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Cool! let us know if we can help.... there's alot of guys on here that've been in your shoes, and everyone wants you to do well!

KT.

Well, lost the e-bay auction on your DVD set so heading to your forum for the deal. Will send a PM over there. BTW it looks great! Lots of knowledge over there and spent the better half of my night reading threads.

KTTrucks

Premium Member
Established Member
PM me, I can give a "members discount" if you order through me and not go through the shopping cart on the home page.

Dont forget to post about your progress and more importantly, problems HERE... ther eason Im a mod is to help guys with bodywork and painting issues... I dont want Travis to kick my ass off here for pimping my DVDs! LOL!

Seriously, the detailing and maintenance is important, once you;ve got your paintjob done, or your cars paint is fine... but I want to start more dialog about bodywork and the whole DIY thing... There's a TON of cool stuff to learn!

KT.

Users who are viewing this thread