any mechanically inclined people please put in your 2 cents...im stuck

sikwitit36

Banned
2001 Ford Explorer 35000 miles. No problems till about 1000 miles ago. Long story short. Im in the military went overseas left the truck back home and was only driven about once every two weeks. The truck threw a check engine light. I was certain it was an EGR problem from sitting around for almost a year. Bought a scanner and sure enough it was an EGR problem.

Not more than maybe a month ago today when I start it up for sitting about 18 hours plus it makes a real brief, maybe not more than 3 seconds, rattle then it quits. The closest I can describe it is almost like a loose hanger/bracket on the exhaust. like something vibrating against metal. im almost certain it is coming directly under the floor board of the drivers side or just right under the engine bay. But it doesnt do it long enough for me to crawl under it when its cold and see where its coming from. Now after it sits awhile and I start it up and it does it i shut the engine off immediately and then start it back up to see if it will do it again but it wont. I have to wait almost another day.

So I need advice on what some of you guys think it might be. Ive had no previous problems with it whatsoever. All the exhaust seems to be secured pretty well. Nothing else in the noise area seems to be loose. Im thinking its either something with the EGR valve or maybe its the IAC that clogged up with gunk. I would also think the starter might be dirty and the brushes are rubbing???

Anybody who has encountered something like this even somewhat similar, someone tell me where to start so I can save a lot of work for myself. Any help would be appreciated. Im trying to get this taking care of cause Im wanting to sell it.

FoMoCoStang

Rollin the Fox..
Established Member
Check the little metal plates over the catlytic converters. My friend had the same problem. He got them tacked into place. Problem went away.

He also had one replaced, but i dont see how it could be that.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Also check for a socket or other tool. They tend to get in around the manifold if dropped and in some cases mechanics leave their sockets behind if it takes too much time retrieving them.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
sikwitit36 said:
wally your a genius. i never would have thought that would have fixed my problem. ill make sure i tell that to the buyer when their interested in my truck. thanks brotha :thumbsup:

:lol: :thumbsup:

That seems to be the opinion around here sometimes.

"My car is rattling all over. How do I fix it?"
"Put a loud exhaust or thumpin' stereo in it. Problem solved!" :lol1:

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
Want03Cobra said:
it has gas right?... :-D
It aint got no gas in it!
SlingBlade24.JPG

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
FoMoCoStang said:
Check the little metal plates over the catlytic converters. My friend had the same problem. He got them tacked into place. Problem went away.

He also had one replaced, but i dont see how it could be that.

If that's not it and you have the overhead cam motor they were bastards about the timing chains and guides (It is an Exploder after all). The chain that runs the passenger side cam is at the back of the motor, the bean counters approved of this abomination because it allows both cylinder heads to be the same. Unfortunately its a mechanics nightmare.

Hope I'm wrong but its a strong possibility. The tensioners for the chain are hydraulic like the lifters. If it sits long enough the oil will leak out of them. The chain will then be very slack until the oil pressure builds, thats when the noise goes away. Eventually the framming will damage the chain guides and the noise will persist. I have heard rumors that the rear chain can be replaced in the vehicle but I'm not sure if that also included guides and tensioner. The first step in all the manuals I have seen was: Remove Engine.

Best of Luck

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
lightninmike said:
the chain it in the back?!?!?!?!????? wtf were they thinking

they were thinking "they'll never be able to fix this without bringing it back to us, and we'll charge so much to fix it it'll be cheeper to just buy a new car/truck".... :idea:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
What engine??? 4.0 V6 SOHC? or 5.0 V8?

Good point about the 4.0 sohc tensioner... good possibility.

Hit the cats .. see if they rattle... could be broken up and intermittently plugging the exhaust... will cause a stall and low power

EVP sensors also are fairly common...

Jimmy :thumbsup:

sikwitit36

Banned
Worsedog said:
If that's not it and you have the overhead cam motor they were bastards about the timing chains and guides (It is an Exploder after all). The chain that runs the passenger side cam is at the back of the motor, the bean counters approved of this abomination because it allows both cylinder heads to be the same. Unfortunately its a mechanics nightmare.

Hope I'm wrong but its a strong possibility. The tensioners for the chain are hydraulic like the lifters. If it sits long enough the oil will leak out of them. The chain will then be very slack until the oil pressure builds, thats when the noise goes away. Eventually the framming will damage the chain guides and the noise will persist. I have heard rumors that the rear chain can be replaced in the vehicle but I'm not sure if that also included guides and tensioner. The first step in all the manuals I have seen was: Remove Engine.

Best of Luck

screw that. before someone comes to look at it ill run it for as minute to warm it up so it wont do it. i know that sounds assholish to leave my problems with someone else but im not sinking any money into it.

sikwitit36

Banned
Jimmysidecarr said:
What engine??? 4.0 V6 SOHC? or 5.0 V8?

Good point about the 4.0 sohc tensioner... good possibility.

Hit the cats .. see if they rattle... could be broken up and intermittently plugging the exhaust... will cause a stall and low power

EVP sensors also are fairly common...

Jimmy :thumbsup:

appreciate it. it is a 4.0. Im going to check on that EGR valve sensor next day off. Like I said I scanned it and sure enough it was what i thought it was. EGR insufficient flow. I figured it was gummed up from sitting around awhile when I was gone and not gettin driven enough like i wanted. And this is what I ended up with.

99cobradave

Established Member
If it makes you feel any better, my '94 Lightning has a similar rattle. Been doing that for years. It sounds like a loose exhaust something or other. Doesn't really bother me though, because it goes away. My truck has 120k miles and still runs like a champ. God, I love these Gen I L's!!

Post if you find the source. I'm curious.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
You'd know if it was a timing chain issue. Mine had that recall and it sounded like a diesel. A high pitch rattle is most likely one of the head shrouds on the exhaust.

sikwitit36

Banned
PlatinumCobra said:
You'd know if it was a timing chain issue. Mine had that recall and it sounded like a diesel. A high pitch rattle is most likely one of the head shrouds on the exhaust.

Yeah I dont think it has anything to do with the timing chain.

Users who are viewing this thread