Any lowered guys upgrade sway bars?

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Just wondering what kind/brands are being used and what kind of differences you all notice over stock. I understand in principle but feedback on real world conditions is what I'm looking for.
I'm lowered an inch up front plus the added weight of the S/C and inch and half out back

draxxus131

Established Member
Any aftermarket swaybar will be a great upgrade to the rear end of the vehicle, but it also depends on what your using your vehicle for mainly. I believe the stock rear sway bar is around 22-24 mm which isn't much. If your just DD your vehicle not racing at all much, you really won't need to upgrade. If your drag racing I would suggest an anti-roll bar in the rear instead.

draxxus131

Established Member
That's what I mean by DD (daily driver) something just to have some fun with. If you do invest into a swaybar, I would suggest an adjustable swaybar that will clear big tires. BMR is making one as I type, Whiteline has one as well which to my understanding is pretty damn good.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
That's what I mean by DD (daily driver) something just to have some fun with. If you do invest into a swaybar, I would suggest an adjustable swaybar that will clear big tires. BMR is making one as I type, Whiteline has one as well which to my understanding is pretty damn good.

I saw the thread for the BMR...still wonder why I haven't seen many guys do this and what (if any) type of real world feedback could be given. I'm looking into a used set of Hotchkiss adjustables.

ebrow21

Established Member
I use a strano solid adjustable (set at full stiff), as the stock wouldn't clear my suspension combo. The strano also works great for wheel/relocation clearance as it is shaped more like a U. Also a plus, you don't have to buy swaybar relocation brackets if you run a 15x10 with it.

I have a drag race oriented setup, however. I run a swaybar delete on the front, and run big/littles (275/60/15 et street) all the time. With the stock swaybar the car would kick out some if it spun on the street. It drives straight 95% of the time while spinning now. Then again, not much is untouched under there.

It does not spin on a prepped track. The car on a pump gas tune pulls low 1.4x's, generally.

Edit: oh yeah, I'm on k-springs.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I use a strano solid adjustable (set at full stiff), as the stock wouldn't clear my suspension combo. The strano also works great for wheel/relocation clearance as it is shaped more like a U. Also a plus, you don't have to buy swaybar relocation brackets if you run a 15x10 with it.

I have a drag race oriented setup, however. I run a swaybar delete on the front, and run big/littles (275/60/15 et street) all the time. With the stock swaybar the car would kick out some if it spun on the street. It drives straight 95% of the time while spinning now. Then again, not much is untouched under there.

It does not spin on a prepped track. The car on a pump gas tune pulls low 1.4x's, generally.

Edit: oh yeah, I'm on k-springs.

Cool thanks. I won't be going with bigs & littles so I shouldn't have to worry about the rear

Snake40

Established Member
I too run the Strano bars. Very happy with them. He's very informative and will help you pick parts without trying to oversell you.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Any aftermarket swaybar will be a great upgrade to the rear end of the vehicle, but it also depends on what your using your vehicle for mainly. I believe the stock rear sway bar is around 22-24 mm which isn't much. If your just DD your vehicle not racing at all much, you really won't need to upgrade. If your drag racing I would suggest an anti-roll bar in the rear instead.

Found out the stock rear is 20 mm.

11socal50

Established Member
I'm lowered on koni yellows and hotchkis springs. I have whiteline sway bars, both currently on the softest setting but I am going to stiffen up the rear a bit

BMR Tech

Thanks for the correction but why the "range" 23/24 or 24-26? Luck of the draw? U not sure? Track pack?

The GT is suppose to be 24mm. Our 2011 came with a 23mm.

I meant to put 23-26 for the range on the gt500/boss cars.

GT500 - 23mm
GT500 SVTP - 24mm
Boss 302 - 25mm
Boss 302 LS - 26mm

Apparently our base model 2011 came with a GT500 rear bar. Lol

Voltwings

Established Member
ok, so sway bars impact your driving characteristics, but that effect works in tandem with your tire setup. Most of my experience is in FWD cars, so i may be completely talking out of my ass here, but i feel this thread needs some actual technical discussion as its something i've thought about doing myself.

Seeing as how most people who aren't seriously drag oriented are running a square set up, we'll start with that. A staggered setup with wider (read, more grip) rears is likely to pull the back end out correct? More under steer? A square setup will be more neutral, but means it can have a tendency to over steer just as well as understeer? *Again, i'm just thinking out loud, not stating any of this as fact.* So, assuming one has a square setup, would only adding a rear bar be the same as just having stickier tires in the rear and lead to more "push," or potential understeer?

In my previous FWD car the logic was simple, all the weight and drive was in the front, so you only needed to upgrade the rear bar so it could hang in the corners, and that worked like a charm. I feel the case here is different, and one would likely want to invest in BOTH bars, as opposed to just a front or rear?

'14 Shelby

Established Member
ok, so sway bars impact your driving characteristics, but that effect works in tandem with your tire setup. Most of my experience is in FWD cars, so i may be completely talking out of my ass here, but i feel this thread needs some actual technical discussion as its something i've thought about doing myself.

Seeing as how most people who aren't seriously drag oriented are running a square set up, we'll start with that. A staggered setup with wider (read, more grip) rears is likely to pull the back end out correct? More under steer? A square setup will be more neutral, but means it can have a tendency to over steer just as well as understeer? *Again, i'm just thinking out loud, not stating any of this as fact.* So, assuming one has a square setup, would only adding a rear bar be the same as just having stickier tires in the rear and lead to more "push," or potential understeer?

In my previous FWD car the logic was simple, all the weight and drive was in the front, so you only needed to upgrade the rear bar so it could hang in the corners, and that worked like a charm. I feel the case here is different, and one would likely want to invest in BOTH bars, as opposed to just a front or rear?

Sure tire set up should be considered. My current set up isnt really track friendly, its more street/strip but i want the best of both worlds. In any case after i lowered it and added LCAs & UCA i noticed the front end pushing. Noticeably more (over)steer was needed to get through turns. Doubt the LCAs had anything to do with that but nonetheless more oversteer. It was likely the springs.
I really don't see many guys on here address handling with upgrading to adj. sways, hence my question(s), about real world application.

Last edited:

11socal50

Established Member
I forgot. What is the question again? I did the rear sway before the rest of the suspension, felt a bit more confidence on an on ramp.
Did the front along with the springs/shocks/struts. I am experiencing some oversteer which is why I want to adjust the rear. Make it stiffer. BTW I run a squared set up

Users who are viewing this thread