Any Ideas to increase HP on 00R

Saleenrose

Established Member
I work on allot of cars, recent is a Viper open track car, he would like to open track with me. The problem I have is the vipers and Vets of modern day have big HP numbers. This Viper did 450RWHP before I changed the cam and heads. I will dyno in a week. Same dyno, Mine, showed 385RWHP in my 00R and I weigh more. How should I go about increasing power. I did not really want to change the car before but I enjoy running it, it is a race car? I was thinking of value but decided what the F###. I have a 3100lb race car but it just does not seem the same. Any ideas to get this thing to 450RWHP, cams, ported heads, long tubes???:shrug:

scottmartin

lets get ready to rumble!
Established Member
00R horsepower

We installed the bassani x pipe and Bruce's 90mm MAf kit.. My car dynoed 404 RWHP. I think getting to 450 will be VERY tough. Scott

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
A custom built engine, talk to one of the big modular builders such as Al Papito (I think I spelled that right). They should be able to get you what you want but I agree with Scott that you aren't going to get there with just bolt on parts.

Cypher-M1

Established Member
well there are a few 4.6L guys that have made 400whp with the right boltons, and a good choice in ported heads, cams and ported intake mani. I wouldn't be surprised if a R can get least 430's.......then again I don't know how well tuned/designed the motor is from the factory. If they have the same cams as the Mach1/terminator then a ford GT cam swap or 2001 cobra intake cam swap would help a little.

Saleenrose

Established Member
Already have Bassani Exhaust, no cat, 90mm intake, custom tuned. Remamber these were dynoed on same dyno, most dynos very, so my 385 and his pre-450, now I asume so far will hit 530, are in sink. I am looking for info on heads cams porting, Maybe long tube headers?

"If they have the same cams as the Mach1/terminator then a ford GT cam swap or 2001 cobra intake cam swap would help a little."

Wrong Motor with that stuff. The ford GT stuff I dont think would be right for a NA motor.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Driver mod and suspension mods are WAY more important than power mods IMHO.

:idea::read:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Driver mod and suspension mods are WAY more important than power mods IMHO.

:idea::read:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

says the man who upgraded to a blown 5.4....

saleenrose talk to fourcam330, and al papito. fourcam has one of al's engines in his 98 svt. its a 5.5(i believe its based off of the 5.4r block) 550rwhp monster.

talk with bruce on suspension there are a lot of different ave you could take to improve lap times. :beer:personally i like griggs.

Last edited:

Cypher-M1

Established Member
Already have Bassani Exhaust, no cat, 90mm intake, custom tuned. Remamber these were dynoed on same dyno, most dynos very, so my 385 and his pre-450, now I asume so far will hit 530, are in sink. I am looking for info on heads cams porting, Maybe long tube headers?

"If they have the same cams as the Mach1/terminator then a ford GT cam swap or 2001 cobra intake cam swap would help a little."

Wrong Motor with that stuff. The ford GT stuff I dont think would be right for a NA motor.

Actually there are, Remember the marauder and Mach1 and Navigator are all N/A...yet the 03-4 Cobra have the same cams, and 9 sec 03-4 cobra are running the 01 N/A Cobra cams. GT cams are starting to be a popular swap since they only coast about $450 for the set.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Your car should dyno just over 400 with the catless Bassani and the 90mm intake. That's on a Dyno-jet. If not, then you need a little help in the tune department.

I would not mod a Y2KR motor other than what you've done. They are perfect right from Ford! :rockon::bowdown:

venom279

Established Member
Your car should dyno just over 400 with the catless Bassani and the 90mm intake. That's on a Dyno-jet. If not, then you need a little help in the tune department.

I would not mod a Y2KR motor other than what you've done. They are perfect right from Ford! :rockon::bowdown:

IMHO, I agree with you completely Bruce!!

It is going to be hard to compete with a car that has 588 cid:rockon: (viper) and maybe 427cid (vette):sleeping:..

If you just have to do something to it, stick with the mods you are refering to. Have the heads ported!! These are the best you'll find, but there is a little left on the table. I don't have any numbers to back this up, but after talking extensively to Andy (fourcam330) and some others, I am willing to bet you would see a gain of 40-50 rwhp out of a full race ported head.

If you have the $$$ just laying around, go by those new-fangled Jesel roller-rockers for it, I think they are like $2500 or so.. I think a custom set of longtubes from Stainless works would be a great addition, probably good for another 25 maybe 30 rwh.. around $2500 for a custom set.

IMHO, I would not change cams, the R cams have plenty of gitty-up. They have a lift of .512", it actually does not need that much, probably like something like .475 You may get a few more ponies out of a custom set, but I don't think it's worth the money ($1000-1200) to do a cam swap. DO NOT use Ford GT, 03-04 Cobra cams, or anything like that... You will just be undoing what you are trying to accomplish, Those cars are blower cars..

I am willing to bet $50, that you can get at least 450 rwhp out of the R with nothing more than ported heads & longtubes and the mods you already have.

Please keep us posted of your progress!!

:beer:

Saleenrose

Established Member
Have not raced him yet, I am pretty aggressive when competing, I have not changed any suspension, I do run 315 35 18 Victor 710s, the track he would like to have me go to is Miller Park, the straights are long and HP is a factor. I hate to change the car much but I also love to "mess" with expensive cars. Just thinking the R is getting "old" when you look at what "new" is out. PS I have found my dyno reads about 10-13% lower than a regular Dynojet, it is a loadcell Dynojet. Adding 10% back in puts me about the same as others. I can redyno and try again because those who say they are perfect all the time, most of the time are not. I may have left some on table.

TimB

Established Member
My 2000 R made 470rwhp on a dyno dynamics dyno with custom longtubes ,a 90mm mass air , a custom diablosport tune and some 12.5 JE pistons. The heads and valvetrain were stock.

Tim

wheelhopper

Established Member
^Now we're talking.

There is a guy in VA who installed a vortec on his car and is making close to 600rwhp. Would that be enough?

Saleenrose

Established Member
Thought about supercharger but was considering heat on track, last year raced against several GT500s and Ford GT, Driver needed Help, and was able to pass all with ease I believe due to heat soak of the supercharged engine. Great HP for short time. I think to start I will redyno and tune more to see what I can find, maybe long tube headers.

red9450

Established Member
:beer:I just have to say that I love the fact that you guys aren't afraid to modify these cars and drive them like intended.:beer:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Thought about supercharger but was considering heat on track, last year raced against several GT500s and Ford GT, Driver needed Help, and was able to pass all with ease I believe due to heat soak of the supercharged engine. Great HP for short time. I think to start I will redyno and tune more to see what I can find, maybe long tube headers.

Maybe a turbo or two instead:shrug: I don't think they have those issues as much on track as long as they are done properly:thumbsup:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Have not raced him yet, I am pretty aggressive when competing, I have not changed any suspension, I do run 315 35 18 Victor 710s, the track he would like to have me go to is Miller Park, the straights are long and HP is a factor. I hate to change the car much but I also love to "mess" with expensive cars. Just thinking the R is getting "old" when you look at what "new" is out. PS I have found my dyno reads about 10-13% lower than a regular Dynojet, it is a loadcell Dynojet. Adding 10% back in puts me about the same as others. I can redyno and try again because those who say they are perfect all the time, most of the time are not. I may have left some on table.

What altitude were you dynoed at?
Are you willing to always run race gas?

As previously posted a set of high compression pistons, fresh valve job w/ minor clean up and a retune will produce large gains ... with not much else needed to be changed.

Compression makes power EVERYTIME!

BUT you will have to run a high octane fuel ALL THE TIME.

Users who are viewing this thread