Any GT500 guys in here?

svtmadman

Established Member
Im preparing myself for failure...My last outing in the 500 was a flop. I cracked my intercooler and limped it around for 2 more sessions before putting it on the trailer. (im lucky i didnt pop it i know) Since then i have made several improvements including Super Duty Rad, Dual fan HE, thermostat, brake ducts, watts pan hard bar,green pads, springs, steel braided brake lines and 3.6KBLC to name a few. Ive been talking to Van about some future suspension improvements. My problem is in the back of my head this car will never be like my Old MTI/Penske suspension ZO6. I keep telling myself if this car doesnt get a round the course im trading for a BOSS. I guess the only thing left to do is just jump on VIR and see whats what... just venting alittle and listening.:pop:

Shawn:beer:

racebronco2

Established Member
The gt500 will not handle like a penske suspension zo6 period. How can it with the center of gravity alot higher then the vette. The vette has a pretty good balance where as the gt500 is something like 57/43 . With the 3.6 you are certainly going to have cooling issues. The dual fan will not help on track. The best cooling mod is a tiger racing hood. Looks like you should start looking for a boss. By the way, the boss has cooling issues as well but with the tiger racing hood it should cool.

Radiologue

Driver Enthusiast
Established Member
Just getting started with my 2011 GT500.

I've been to Road Atlanta with it...macerated the front tires, overheated rear diff, destroyed the rotors and tore two valve stems ending my day

All in all I had a good time, but the mods begin.

Going to upgrade all fluids, upgrade radiator and heat exchanger,...basic things to keep it cool and more reliable. Suspension is where I will likely focus thereafter. My main focus will be just on driving and having fun. Whatever I have to do to get there is what I'll do. I've gone from a tube chassis race car to a car I can go to the track with or take my kids to dinner.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Don't dump the GT500 for a BOSS just yet.

I was at NJMP a month or so ago, and a new BOSS out there driven by a person I know to be competent, hit limp mode 7 laps into sessions repeatedly. Completely unacceptable. The BOSS is not the track dog out of the box as the folks pushing them would have you believe.

Another buddy of mine that just bought a Laguna package car will be at Watkins Glen when we go there in a week or so. I will be watching closely, but I don't have high hopes for them being any more stout on track than the blower cars are.

+1 on the tiger hood. I'm thinking it will be needed no matter what Mustang you happen to be driving.

racebronco2

Established Member
Don't dump the GT500 for a BOSS just yet.

I was at NJMP a month or so ago, and a new BOSS out there driven by a person I know to be competent, hit limp mode 7 laps into sessions repeatedly. Completely unacceptable. The BOSS is not the track dog out of the box as the folks pushing them would have you believe.

Another buddy of mine that just bought a Laguna package car will be at Watkins Glen when we go there in a week or so. I will be watching closely, but I don't have high hopes for them being any more stout on track than the blower cars are.

+1 on the tiger hood. I'm thinking it will be needed no matter what Mustang you happen to be driving.

Here in socal the 5.0's are having the same problem with the heat. I too think the tiger racing hood is the answer.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Limp mode in the new n/a boss? now that sucks.

Sorry but I want something under 3k #s that doesnt overheat.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I would be seriously pissed off if I bought a BOSS for the track and it limped on the regular.

Ford should be adapting the damned extractor hoods for the cars at the factory. Either that...or stop saying you're building cars for the track.

I could go out and buy a base Corvette for less, throw some springs, pads and tires on the thing and run laps all day long. A base Corvette at the same event at NJMP was running harder, faster laps, for extended periods with no ill effect. ...and GM doesn't really promote the base coupe as a track car.

The more I look at this, if I were ever to track a Mustang again, the more I sort of feel like I should just find/build/cage a light 88-90 LX notch.

Users who are viewing this thread