Any Great Local Machine Shops Around?

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
What size motor? Dump the Cobra intake. Way better intakes out there. The Holley Systemax is the best imo but there are some allot of good intakes out there. You cam should be for a turbo motor. Dont just drop any old cam in there. You're looking at around $10,000 give or take for what you're wanting. Is that really your budget?
Also dont skimp on the heads. Thats where all the power will come from. TEA, Fox Lake are damn good for the money. Checkout those turbo websites too. TONS on info no them.

Last edited:

Joe5.0

Established Member
stock block .30 over so 306 right? 5.0L?

10K Now way!

Alls i wanna do is stiffen up the block, get the heads freshened up, and put some boost to it until it blows.

For 10K i would have a dart blocked stroker......

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I thought you were going a different route. It sounded like you were doing the 351 thing, but then a stroker 5.0. Guess you're keepin it simple. Which turbo kit?

352Ford

I make my own
Established Member
If you are going to the trouble machining the engine, get an early 302 block or 351, much stronger. But if you can just r-ring/rebearing the stock HO, do that and run that until it blows up. Plenty of guys running 10s with HO stock bottom ends (cam included, it actually works really well even with big heads) with turbo set ups, they just don't last for a long time. That way you can get your turbo setup sooner

Lighter weight rotating assembly will make it live longer

You can do a fill of the water jackets depending on what you are looking to do with the car.

Girdles on Windsor’s (fully skirted blocks are another matter) don’t do anything but keep the parts neat when your block splits (especially the aluminum ones). Look at the stress/strain curve of tool steel (or what ever material the girdle is made out of), calculate out the deflection using beam theory, and you will see that the caps walk WAY before the girdle applies any sort of decent resistance. I have always wanted to perform a test to see if there is any improvement in dampening of the block, but I really doubt it is any thing worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Joe5.0

Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
I thought you were going a different route. It sounded like you were doing the 351 thing, but then a stroker 5.0. Guess you're keepin it simple. Which turbo kit?

Want to Keep it simple. I really Like HP's 60mm kit.

Whats a good compression ratio to run N/a for awhile, and when ready for boost....?

MTNMAN

Established Member
Mr. Bliss is taking a month or so off for medical reasons.
AD Performance doesn't really do 306's. They stick to 331, 347, 408 etc & most often using Dart blocks. The cost will be the same 306 vs 331/342/347.
If your going turbo your not going to want to use your any of your stock rotating assm.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
You might want to try Northwest Connecting Rod. They are down in Seattle. They did work on my old man's 914 motor. They Stroked, bored, and built it. I took my Jeep 360 there to to have a rebuild done. They took everything apart and hot tanked the block and cleand up the heads with new timing components and valves, pistons, re used the rods and crank, new cam, intake, timing cover, bored .30 over and painted the block. I yanked the engine and took it to him as a long block, and then got it back as a ready to drop in engine. for 2800 or 3000 something like that. Great guy he usually builds Type III volkswagen and Porsche motors but does anything you can give him. Just a thought.

Mike

saleen09

Slow A$$ Kenne Bell Cobra
Established Member
Joey, I know we've had a couple of long conversations about this.

I REALLY think a solid, budget orientated 331/347 with decent H/C/I will make you very happy. The cost/labor/upkeep of a turbo kit doesn't strike me as something you'd be happy with. I"ve been there.....

If you really want some fun on a budget, add a 150 shot of the giggle to the above combo. 525+WHP at the push of a button.

Do you really have 10K plus to sink into the car? I was thinking more in the 5K range......

Joe5.0

Established Member
Yea looks like 5-6K Is really The Limit here.

I Have found a couple Forged Everything 306/331 Shortblocks with low Miles ready for boost. Possibly and Strim is more in my budget.

Didnt u say u knew a guy that could hook me up with a brand new Strim kit for like 2300?

Maybe a 331,Arp Head Studs, Cometic Heads Gaskets, Good cam, stock ported E7's with New Valves, springs and 17'RR's. Then an strim.

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
You can get a DSS shortblock w/ girdle, TFS heads, intake, cam for $3,800.
The FMS series of block are fine but for the money you can get a balanced and blueprinted setup made exactly for the combo you want. TG-40 Als are fine but you just cant beat the TFS. Are the pistons in that block forged? If I remember right they're not. There are also way better cams than whats offered in from FMS.
Another good thing about staying in the 302 based family is you wont need as many of the little items that you would on the 351 based engines.
The Strim Vortech is pretty sweet. I ran it for 3 years before going to the YS trim. Its the loudest blower from Vortech as well. if that matters.

Last edited:

Oxford Snake

Established Member
You should also consider warranty periods. Ford Racing offers 12mo/12k miles. I don't think there is a wrong way to go as there are lots of great crate motors on the market. It's all about how much $$$ you want to spend.

Joe5.0

Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
You can get a DSS shortblock w/ girdle, TFS heads, intake, cam for $3,800.
The FMS series of block are fine but for the money you can get a balanced and blueprinted setup made exactly for the combo you want. TG-40 Als are fine but you just cant beat the TFS. Are the pistons in that block forged? If I remember right they're not. There are also way better cams than whats offered in from FMS.
Another good thing about staying in the 302 based family is you wont need as many of the little items that you would on the 351 based engines.
The Strim Vortech is pretty sweet. I ran it for 3 years before going to the YS trim. Its the loudest blower from Vortech as well. if that matters.

3800$? Where are you seeing this lol? D.S.S Wants 2500$ alone for a 331 Shortblock.

Joe5.0

Established Member
I already have Canton Pan so i would like everything from shortblock to tb for about 5k. I just dont know what HCI combo and Compression to do. Id Like a compression ready for Spray Or Sc.

Im not really interested in any of FRPP's Stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread