Any Formula 1 Fans ?

Sai

Hail to the Skins!
Established Member
After watching the 1st F1 weekend at Albert Park go into the books, I wanted to know if any of your are into it. Personally I enjoy and watch all forms of motorsports including Formula 1, Champ/Indy cars, GT, MotoGP and NASCAR but IMO I think Formula 1 is the pinnacle of all motorsports with the most technically sound and skilled drivers. :thumbsup:

The Formula one cars are basically like jet fighters on the ground with all the technology wrapped up into them. Imagine the engineering it takes to produce a 3 liter normally aspirated V10 that can crank up to 19K RPM's lap after lap for a 1.5-2 hour race and now has to be reused for at least 2 consecutive race weekends. This year several teams are using supercomputers to gather telemetry data and the fact that no tire changes are permitted during the races this year adds to the excitement of the season and challenge to the drivers. These cars can go 0-100 mph in 2.4 seconds and produce thousands of pounds of downforce on a lightweight titanium and carbon multipolymer lightweight chassis. :eek:

Take all that and add the world's top manufacturer's of Ferrari, McLaren Mercedes, Williams BMW, Renault and Ford Cosworth with exotic locations and the most complex tracks and you have an amazing spectacle of motorsports! :beer:

moonman

Established Member
it sickens me that speed will only play them at like 1 AM. Speedvision>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Speed Channel
They had the only thing on tv i watch on all the time, Le Mans, MotoGP, F1. I have the last three seasons of each taped on crappy VHS, soon to go over to DVDs. Now all they play is NASCAR, which i cant stand. And seeing NASCAR try and do road courses causes me physical pain.

Kurt Busch

#1 CRYSTAL PALACE FAN
Established Member
Longitude: 122° 18' 50" W / Latitude: 47° 49' 16"
Two things:
Ford (Jaguar) is no longer participating in F1, and Ford sold Cosworth.
Moonman, get a Tivo, you'll never miss anything on TV, plus with the new feature called TivoToGo, you can transfer your Tivo recorded shows to your laptop or PC via your home network and watch it, or burn it to DVD.

bchamp

Established Member
F-1 is awww inspiring in person. I went to the Nurburgring (GP of Europe)last year and plan on atleast that this year maybe the GP in Belgium or Hockenhiem. Tickets are about $130 for the so called cheap seats. 19K RPM's shriek into your soul like nothing I've seen. Those cars really haul butt. its crazy to watch them get out of a corner.

NotoriousJaegs

~There Goes My Hero~
Established Member
I started watching F1 in 2001 at the beginning of Ferrari's dominance, but I fear with all upcoming rule changes (damn you Max Mosley! :cuss: ), interest will fade as it becomes F1 shaped nascar.

On a lighter note, I loved the Jaguar F1 team (<-----check icon). I was absolutely stunned by the RBR-Cosworth's performance. I wonder how it is being received at the Premier Auto Group HQ that the team that ford was desperate to unload just tossed BMW and Mercedes' cookies? I know that Ford is bleeding red ink right now, but spend a millions for a few years and then dump the team just as it comes into its own? Great job boys, let's call it a day :loser: :loser: :loser: . I hope someone is getting whipped with a leather belt for this.............

:idea: I think I'm still bitter about losing my pretty green cars.......

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
Went to the Indy f1 race ! I thought the race sucked. It was nothing but a loud parade more or less for 150 dollars ! But the atmosphere was unlike any other. Lots of hot brazilian chicks ! :)

cobraracer46

Banned
I enjoy watching F1 racing and the technology those cars have is amazing. Judging by the results in the first race of the year, it looks like F1 fans are in for one of the more interesting F1 seasons in recent memory. :beer:

Ripper

And Then Some............
Established Member
There is one cool thing though if you goto the Indy race ! They had a Porshe race and a Ferrari 360 race before the event. Plus in the middle there was a ton of cool ass motorcycles and unbelievable cars like Ferraris, vipers, Mclarens ! It was pretty neat. Lots of hot chicks in ferraris stuff also needed to mention that one again i think !

darkpony02

What flashing lights?
Established Member
For those that remember, it was nice when they did the Detroit Grand Prixs on Belle Isle, maybe someone can comment on the difference between those cars and F1's since I dont know. But they were fast and the atmosphere was great. Miss it.

donpablo

Established Member
Well growing up just within earshot of Indy..I've got racing in my blood. Friend of mine has a sanctuary devoted to Ferrari and Michael. He raced F3 for a time in Europe until an accident cut short his driving career.

F1 is amazing. Was to go back for the U.S. GP, but my sister's marriage kinda conflicts. Guess I'll wait one more year.

DP

66GT350

Established Member
Yes, F1 is amazing racing. I've been a fan and going to F1 races starting in Long Beach, way back when, in the days of Hunt, Lauda, Villenueve (Gilles) and Fittipaldi (Emerson). Nothing like it, IMHO from a technology standpoint. If yu think these cars are cool, you should have seen the 1000HP Tag/MaClarens running with the electronic stability control.......amazing! Sadly, the utter domination of Schumi and Ferrari the last few years has taken a lot of the excitement out of it...hopefully two podium finishes by Renault in Oz mean there is an exciting year in store for us!

Like many of the other posters, I love and patronize all forms of motor racing drags, off-road, IRL, NASCAR, Outlaws...etc.. We are particularly lucky here in the states to have so much to choose from on any given weekend. Not wanting to start a flame war here, but it's just incorrect to say that F1 or any road racing is superior to NASCAR or oval racing ...just not that simple. Both are equally demanding but from an entirely different technical and driver skill standpoint.

I am sure if you asked Montoya "isn't F1 just so much more difficult than when you ran IRL ovals?" he'd probably remind there is nothing easy about three wide at 200 plus around Texas Motor Speedway. Mind you, he has the skills to be successful in both, not many can make that transition - speaking of that, I'll be very interested to see how Boris Said does this year in Cup racing...obviously he's got loads of talent.

BTW, I agree with you, Notorious, I'll miss the Jags, as well. Just a damned shame Ford isn't staying directly involved in F1. For soooo many years Ford powered ALL the F1 teams save for Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Renault...sad to see them go.

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
f1 IS the pinacle of autosport. i think this year is going to be a real nail biter just from watching this first race. the tire situation is ridiculous BUT it really tests the teams strategies. i think this is by far going to be the most interesting year of f1 since the early 90's of f1....

bchisom99

Established Member
This is gonna be a GREAT season....I've been to every F1 race at Indy, love the atmosphere and the noise, has anyone else gone to the Pit Walk before the race the last few years?? Amazing to get 'up close' while the guys work on the cars. . .

and the only reason they only show it at 1am is or 6am is thats when its usually live, I love that they actually do that....however I do DVR most of them when they are on in the AM....

ogc

Established Member
It was on at like 8pm last night... that wasnt to bad..

I didnt see the qualifying thought, Did Shumacher really only qualify 15th or did somthing happen.

Good to see the season start out with him not finishing though.

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
he got the worst of the weather towards the end of qualifying, while others got a nearly dry track he got a soaked track. almost eat shit on one corner....

Users who are viewing this thread