Any ford techs here?

jmsa540

Established Member
If so, could you pm me?

Question is, I took my marauder to the shop today for the oil filter adapter gasket to be replaced, told the gentleman to please replace using only GOLD motorcraft coolant, the shop ends up putting orange coolant (motorcraft) in; I caught it and told him it needs to be swapped out.

The shop was closing around the same time I was picking my car up and is currently sitting in the shop parking lot. Monday, the correct coolant will be put in.

Thoughts, guys?

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I wouldn't expect it to do any damage. It's not going to eat away at the engine and it's not like it's sitting there at operating temp the entire time.

Have them flush the entire system, fill with one type of coolant, then ignore it.

Make sure they know that the front of the car has to be at a slight upward angle to properly burp it from the crossover tube. A lot of people say it's a total pain to burp the coolant system in these cars, but I've done it twice on my car with absolutely zero issues.

jmsa540

Established Member
I wouldn't expect it to do any damage. It's not going to eat away at the engine and it's not like it's sitting there at operating temp the entire time.

Have them flush the entire system, fill with one type of coolant, then ignore it.

Make sure they know that the front of the car has to be at a slight upward angle to properly burp it from the crossover tube. A lot of people say it's a total pain to burp the coolant system in these cars, but I've done it twice on my car with absolutely zero issues.
Offroad..ty, lets hope for the best.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
I can’t quite recall the details but if you mix the wrong ones it can crystallize on parts. Or maybe that was the old gm orange. Been out of the field 15 yrs and my memory has failed.

But for sure, over night you will be fine. Not even sure if you can’t mix two diff motor craft coolants

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
There won’t be an issue in your situation. But i think you guys may be thinking about the 6.0 powerstrokes. Mixing gold and green coolant would cause damage. Idk about orange. But the whole deal was that the green coolant couldn’t withstand the heat of the 6.0 causes oil coolers to blow I believe.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
most of the coolant anymore is compatible with all types and wont gel.

The issue with the 6.0 diesels was the coolant with silicate in it that would clog up the small passages in the coolers and without enough flow it would boil and the cooler would split

FinnCobra

Established Member
I live in Finland, and my Ford dealer said that gold coolant is not available any more, and the new product is orange and can be used to replace. I have red that modular engines need silicatefree coolant, that's why I bought Motorcraft coolant.

jmsa540

Established Member
I live in Finland, and my Ford dealer said that gold coolant is not available any more, and the new product is orange and can be used to replace. I have red that modular engines need silicatefree coolant, that's why I bought Motorcraft coolant.
Are you sure?

I can go to rockauto.com and buy it right now.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Please post up a link-

I'm going to do a flush/fill myself on my SVTF which uses the gold coolant...

Seem to only find Zerex "G-5" Gold coolant on store shelves that I figured is similar to the Motorcraft GOLD coolant...

FinnCobra

Established Member
I think they don't import gold coolant anymore, and sold me current stuff. I doesn't matter, I did fill rebuild so there was not a drop left.

jmsa540

Established Member
Please post up a link-

I'm going to do a flush/fill myself on my SVTF which uses the gold coolant...

Seem to only find Zerex "G-5" Gold coolant on store shelves that I figured is similar to the Motorcraft GOLD coolant...
Tell me your year make and model and ill post a link.

jmsa540

Established Member
Update: i made sure the shop had the right coolant this tine, gold vc7b, two bottles.

Mechanic put the new stuff in and i asked if he burped the system, he said he did it the "old way" and "reverse burped the car". Something about flushing it out.

The bill says i paid for an coolant flush, but to me the reservoir tank looks really orange.

He said the car ran fine and didnt overheat.

I took her home and just did the burp procedure.

Should i be concerned at this point about how orange this stuff looks?
1522089110138.jpg
1522089124429.jpg
1522089137041.jpg

Tyler502

Established Member
Update: i made sure the shop had the right coolant this tine, gold vc7b, two bottles.

Mechanic put the new stuff in and i asked if he burped the system, he said he did it the "old way" and "reverse burped the car". Something about flushing it out.

The bill says i paid for an coolant flush, but to me the reservoir tank looks really orange.

He said the car ran fine and didnt overheat.

I took her home and just did the burp procedure.

Should i be concerned at this point about how orange this stuff looks?View attachment 1476446View attachment 1476447View attachment 1476448

He put orange coolant in it. If it calls for gold (which it does) and that’s what you paid for. Take it back and have them fix their mess up.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread