Any experience comparing Torco to VP Octanium?

Intervention302

Established Member
Hey guys,

I have been using Torco on and off now for 4 years for my 3.25" 21psi tune on my 2.9. I dont honestly run it that often. I actually bought the 5 gallon pail 3 years ago and have about 5 cans left for it. I'm "scared" to use it in fear of it being expired.

I am going down to OC Cruising Week this coming Monday and needed some Torco. Wouldn't ship in time for my trip this year. Luckily, my buddy has the local hookup down there so I am good.

I recently saw some VP Octanium for sale at Autozone for I think $20 per can. Bottle appears to claim about the same 80 or so points increase per can when compared to Torco. Would hate to use it one day and have it cost me my pistons!

Any thoughts? Anybody use this stuff yet?

Link to the product
http://www.evoperform.com/shop/inde...d=1526&zenid=64eac931139b12b76f6921a1c6fc4aa4

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
There is also a product called Boostane that is very similar to these. I was hoping some people would have replied, I plan on adding a lower pulley soon and will be running one of these products on my pump gas tune.

I personally would only use these products as a safety cushion. What I mean by this I would not try to run a lot of timing or boost with these products. I only plan to run 19 psi with about 18 degrees of total timing in the car, im thinking 16 oz of one of these products per tank should give me plenty of safety margin in case I get a bad batch of good ol 93.

Quick Strike

Established Member
You will know it if it goes bad. It turns brown and has sediment in it. It also has a rancid smell. I had half a pail go bad. I still have it as I don't know what to do with it. Torco gave me the number for a toxic disposal service and they want several hundred bucks to get rid of it. Think I am going to have to burn it eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I haven't heard any feedback on this VP product, I wonder if this stuff eliminates the paprika like red dust the torco leaves on the plugs?

96gt02

Established Member
Octanium is not 02 sensor safe, torco is both work excellent

Quick Strike

Established Member
I have been using some in every tank full for the past 6 years with the OE sensors in place, fully operational and no codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I've been using VPO for 2 years . I'm only at 16.5psi boost but datalogs have shown more consistency in max timing between fill ups with VPO. I begin the season running my old winter gas down to 1/4-1/8 tank with 1 quart of VPO to the full tank. Usually topping off during the season as I reach 1/4-1/2 tank I add another half quart. The VPO does make the plugs orange but been told there's no consequence to that. Silly Ass I never considered the potential to harm O2's or Cats. I just ordered 6 bottles of Torco Unleaded. I've never used race gas but would surely consider that if my pis boost was 18-19psi.

96gt02

Established Member
I ran a few cans of VPO in my Mach 1 a few years ago and it killed both my front O2s very quickly, ran boostane once in my gt500 with no side effects so far, may use it from time to time if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread