Any electricians in the house? Urgently need your help

fangstang

Established Member
A few hours ago, my power went out. Why? I dont know. No inclement weather, wind, rain etc.......I went to the basement where my breaker box and generator is and I tried resetting them and nothing. I did notice the generator making a weird noise. Like it was trying to work and then turn off. It would do that on and on....I went back upstairs to look at the lights and noticed that some of the lights in the house were working but others werent. For example, the hallway lights worked, but the kitchen light didnt. My bedroom lights didnt work but the outlets worked. Same throughout the house. Besides calling an electrician(its sunday, no work) I dont know what to do. Any ideas?

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Sounds like you lost a phase from the pole . Instead of 240vac you have 1 leg of 120 coming in. Half the lights work the other half are out. Call your power company.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Had the same issue a few years back and it was the same as described above. Power Co. installed a new ground at the pole and issue resolved.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Sounds like that's what it is to me, too. Generally not a hard fix... will have to thump out the fault and dig it up if you have an underground service and the fault is mid-span, or just replace the whole thing.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Is your main disconnect switch equipped with circuit breakers or fuses?
If fuses then it may just be a blown main fuse.
In many jurisdictions the power company will not come out without a request from an electrical contractor.

This eliminates nuisance calls from people who go searching on forums looking for a diagnosis.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread