Any current or previous Ford engineers or SVT engineers around?

fstr03svtcobra

Established Member
Ok if you are a ford or SVT engineer or simply work for either, I have a question for you. My dad and I disagree on whether removing the stock H (and catalytic converters) and replacing it with an off road x pipe would be harmful to the car. I say that it will make the exhaust flow better and intern allow the engine to breath easier. He thinks that it will mess up other things in the car and also does not like the fact that MIL eliminators have to be used. He wants proof from someone who is unbiased (like at an exhaust shop) and someone who has knowledge of fords. BTW I have and 03 cobra. Thanks in advance.

cobra_matt

Established Member
I don't work for Ford haha, but I don't understand how having a free flowing exhaust would be harmful to a car.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Come on... There's got to be someone who works for Ford here.

It doesn't take someone working for Ford to answer that question.

Are you talking a midpipe swap as the only mod? What about other mods, tune, etc? Is this HIS car or YOURs? IMO, more info is needed. :shrug:

BTW - this is probably in the wrong section.

2kHoe

Established Member
:dw: I would venture that 65-75% of cars here run off-road mid-pipes. A O/R X-pipe is not going to "hurt" your car at all. IMO I wouldnt run electric cut-out's either. Leave the cut-out's to the F-body guys....

Last edited:

fstr03svtcobra

Established Member
I know it doesn't take someone from ford to answer the question but my dad wants "proof." I know that an off road x will not hurt the car in any way. So far my only mods are mgw shifter, magnaflow catback, and K and N intake.

2kHoe

Established Member
I know it doesn't take someone from ford to answer the question but my dad wants "proof." I know that an off road x will not hurt the car in any way. So far my only mods are mgw shifter, magnaflow catback, and K and N intake.

I see you are from Bham. :banana: What part?

Blackness03

Established Member
i am an svt engineer for ford and it will NOT hurt your car to run a offroad pipe.. its better on the engine

btw...i am selling a o/r x pipe.. ill sign it if you like for proof to your dad that its ok

hunterp

Established Member
Your dad has his mind made up already and knows that you aren't going to get a Ford engineer to comment. He put you in an impossible situation on purpose.

GreenSnake

Established Member
Your dad might be thinking from the viewpoint that the cars are designed to operate a very specific way and that when you replace parts with aftermarket ones, you are changing the way the car was designed to operate. I met a guy who thought that way who wanted to buy one of my cars. He was an engineer(not an automotive engineer) and thought that changing anything from factory specs would screw up the car. It isn't like it is a F1 car.

fstr03svtcobra

Established Member
Your dad might be thinking from the viewpoint that the cars are designed to operate a very specific way and that when you replace parts with aftermarket ones, you are changing the way the car was designed to operate. I met a guy who thought that way who wanted to buy one of my cars. He was an engineer(not an automotive engineer) and thought that changing anything from factory specs would screw up the car. It isn't like it is a F1 car.

Yea you nailed it. That is his viewpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread