Any chance of the gov increasing the tax credit to 15k?

NEWSVTGUY

Established Member
I'm trying to buy a house and believe the credit is 8k but there was a mention of the Senate increasing it to 15k? Is there still talk of this or could it still happen?

:beer:

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
I'm trying to buy a house and believe the credit is 8k but there was a mention of the Senate increasing it to 15k? Is there still talk of this or could it still happen?

:beer:

I don't mean to come off sounding like an ass (so I apologize if I do) but are you serious? They are already giving you $8,000 of other taxpayers money you don't have to pay back and your asking for more? Doesn't that seem silly to you? Take your 'free' money and be happy.

cbr repsol

Established Member
I don't mean to come off sounding like an ass (so I apologize if I do) but are you serious? They are already giving you $8,000 of other taxpayers money you don't have to pay back and your asking for more? Doesn't that seem silly to you? Take your 'free' money and be happy.

Actually its 7,500 and you Do have to pay it back over 15 years at 500.00 per year at tax time. I just got it thats how I know. The great thing is its interest free.

txyaloo

Established Member
Actually its 7,500 and you Do have to pay it back over 15 years at 500.00 per year at tax time. I just got it thats how I know. The great thing is its interest free.

That's a completely different program. The $8,000 tax credit was put into place with the last stimulus bill and is valid for a house purchased this year. The $7,500 loan program was initiated last year.

Don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
That's a completely different program. The $8,000 tax credit was put into place with the last stimulus bill and is valid for a house purchased this year. The $7,500 loan program was initiated last year.

Don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about.

+1, our realtor mentions it every time he sends us an email. $8k and no payback if purchased 1-1-09 to 12-1-09. To answer the OP's question, the 15k bill did not pass, but it was amended to 8k and no payback.

000hp03

I'm full of SHIT!
Established Member
Its basically a loan. dont really understand it..interest free 15k is nice though. I'd rather have the money to do other shit with

Blue Blitz

Established Member
No it's not basically a loan. The 8k is a CREDIT. You dont have to pay that back. It's available for homes purchased this year as stated above. I dont know if you have to be a first time home buyer. I think you might have to be, but regardless you DONT pay it back so NOT a loan.

William

txyaloo

Established Member
i believe it was amended to any home buyer, not just first-time

This thread is full of bad info.

No, it wasn't amended. The $8,000 credit is only available to first time home buyers. First time is defined as someone who hasn't owned a home in the last three years. If a married couple is buying, and one partner has owned a home in the last three years, neither person is eligible for the credit.

Last edited:

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Ok to cut and paste the email from our realtor on this for some "facts:"

Homebuyer Tax Credit Feature:
Revised Credit - Effective for purchases after January 1, 2009 and before December 1, 2009.

Amount of Credit:
Maximum credit amount increased to $8,000.

Eligible Property:
Any single-family home (includes condos, townhomes) used as a principle residence.

Refundable:
Yes. Reduces (or can eliminate) income tax liability for the year of purchase. Any unused amount of tax credit will be refunded to the purchaser.

Income Limit:
Yes. Adjusted gross income of $75,000 ($150,000 on a joint return). Phases out above those caps ($95,000 and $170,000).

First-Time Homebuyer Only:
Yes. Purchasers and purchasers spouse may not have owned a principle residence in the last 3 years previous to purchase.

Revenue Bond Financing:
Purchasers who use revenue bond financing can use credit.

Repayment:
No repayment for purchases on or after January 1, 2009 and before December 1, 2009.

Recapture:
If home is sold within 3 years of purchase, entire amount is recaptured at sale. Applies only to homes purchased in 2009.

Maybe that will clear a few things up.

William

Users who are viewing this thread