Any chance of an automatic GT350 in coming years?

OaktownACE

Established Member
I ask because I've got my GT500 which I love but my wife loves the new body style. Problem is that she can't drive a stick, has no desire to learn and there's no chance of getting the car unless she can drive it.

I've read the answer is no, but I'm hoping I just haven't read the right things.

Para81

Established Member
I would tell her there is no chance of her driving the car if she doesn't learn stick.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
I would tell her there is no chance of driving the car, period.

I for one hope I never see an auto in any SVT/Ford Performance Mustang

I'd almost bet money the next GT500 comes with an auto option or else the Mustang is gonna get left behind.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I'd almost bet money the next GT500 comes with an auto option or else the Mustang is gonna get left behind.
Pretty much, IMO.
The question is what kind of automatic box they'll use. A torque convertor automatic can be made to perform VERY well, DCT's obviously perform very well, but not sure if there is a cost effective DCT that will handle the power that the "next" (hopefully there is one) GT500 will make.
Either works for me. I'm not some die-hard purist that feels my man-card is in jeopardy if I buy an automatic. I've never actually sat in the paddock after a session and reflected on how perfectly executed a heel toe downshift was. It's a skill I think everybody who tracks regularly should have mastered. But an auto REALLY takes that task away and allows you to focus on your line, braking points, transition to throttle, etc..
S.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I ask because I've got my GT500 which I love but my wife loves the new body style. Problem is that she can't drive a stick, has no desire to learn and there's no chance of getting the car unless she can drive it.

I've read the answer is no, but I'm hoping I just haven't read the right things.

Just lie to the woman, and live in the dog house for awhile....

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I've never actually sat in the paddock after a session and reflected on how perfectly executed a heel toe downshift was. ...

Maybe not. I've read plenty of posts and articles with drivers complaining about automatics never being in the right gear at the right time on a road course, specifically in the most fun/complex parts; the turns.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Yeah. Gird up your loins, man! Unless it's too much of a hit to the pocketbook, just get it anyway and tell her she can either learn to drive stick or she can sit in the passenger seat and pout.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Maybe not. I've read plenty of posts and articles with drivers complaining about automatics never being in the right gear at the right time on a road course, specifically in the most fun/complex parts; the turns.
There is this thing called "paddle shifting" for those who don't want to rely on the ECU's logic for gear selection.
Some manufacturers do it exceptionally well (Porsche, for example), some don't. The torque convertor A8 in the Z06 is said to be very aggressive with gear selection, keeping the rpm's high everywhere. However, I manually shift my A8 on-track, so whatever logic GM powertrain put in it, I haven't used it.
S.

OaktownACE

Established Member
Yeah. Gird up your loins, man! Unless it's too much of a hit to the pocketbook, just get it anyway and tell her she can either learn to drive stick or she can sit in the passenger seat and pout.

Well, I just Super Snaked my GT500 so I would not be getting rid of that. So the GT350 would be her car. So she has to be able to drive it if it's technically her car.

Besides she's a fiery Italian woman and I'd like to keep my loins intact.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
There is this thing called "paddle shifting" for those who don't want to rely on the ECU's logic for gear selection.
Some manufacturers do it exceptionally well (Porsche, for example), some don't. The torque convertor A8 in the Z06 is said to be very aggressive with gear selection, keeping the rpm's high everywhere. However, I manually shift my A8 on-track, so whatever logic GM powertrain put in it, I haven't used it.
S.

I loved the DCT in my wife's M3. If you had an instant opportunity to "play" with another car, just hold back the left paddle and mash the gas. It really gave the car a split personality. The Wench drove in in fully "automatic" mode, and I always "rowed my own" but without the clutch. I could see the Mustang going this way, but most likely with a high performance automatic vice a dual clutch transmission.

Aftrbrnr

Established Member
I have a tough time considering certain transmissions with automated clutches as "automatics", some transmissions (DCTs for the most part) such as the ones in the R35 GT-Rs are mechanically a manual transmission with an automatic shifting function (and not vice-versa). On the flip-side, a C7 Z06's automatic tranny is a true torque converter style auto that has the ability to function in a manual mode.

With regards to an automatic in a future SVT Mustang, I guess it depends on the type. I think for performance purposes, it would be nice to see a DCT with an auto function for performance purposes (though many seem to be much rougher on shifting for daily driving purposes on the street) though a well-designed torque converter automatic like on the Z06 would be acceptable too IMO.

Aftrbrnr

Established Member
I have a tough time considering certain transmissions with automated clutches as "automatics", some transmissions (DCTs for the most part) such as the ones in the R35 GT-Rs are mechanically a manual transmission with an automatic shifting function (and not vice-versa). On the flip-side, a C7 Z06's automatic tranny is a true torque converter style auto that has the ability to function in a manual mode.

With regards to an automatic in a future SVT Mustang, I guess it depends on the type. I think for performance purposes, it would be nice to see a DCT with an auto function for performance purposes (though many seem to be much rougher on shifting for daily driving purposes on the street) though a well-designed torque converter automatic like on the Z06 would be acceptable too IMO.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Unless I lose function or mobility in my limbs, I will always prefer a true manual to anything else. That said, I don't think I would mind a DCT/DSG transmission in a high performance Mustang. No way I'd want a torque converter automatic. I don't care how fast it shifts.

Para81

Established Member
Recently test drove a PDK 911 Turbo / PDK 911 GTS / and had the keys to a PDK Cayman S for a couple days. Nice cars....couldn't wait to get back to my 6speed Carrera S though...way more fun on the street. Track times of course are easier with the dual-clutch but a heel/toe shift properly executed is much more rewarding for me.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I can only imagine how often that thing will be hunting for gears. And it'll probably shift through the first 4 gears in in less than 2 seconds. So what would even be the point of having them other than fuel economy?

krt22

Established Member
I would be happy with an 8 spd PDK style tranny...would sound like an F1 car :rolling::rolling:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I've driven a few M3's with DCT's, I thought they were pure crap. It was just not a very pleasurable driving experience. The sensation is nothing like driving a manual transmissioned vehicle, it might as well be an auto and get it over with. I think a well thought out automatic would be better since it would be cheaper with essentially the same driving experience.

Users who are viewing this thread