Any bowhunters?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I really want to shoot a velvet buck this year and my fall schedule will accommodate me spending plenty of time in the woods of MN and WI.

I am beginning to put the time in. Dropped my bow off earlier this week to get re strung and paper tuned. Also going with a new rest. I forget the brand but it has a "V" that clamps on the arrow so you do not have to worry about your arrow when you are in the tree.

I will be shooting a Bear Arena. I super tempted to get the new mack daddy Matthews but the bow I have is fine.

I have been shooting Gold Tips but my pro shop really likes the Easton Axis so I am shifting to those. I have used mechanical broadheads in the past but have had issues and will be shifting to fixed.

Who is bowhunting this year.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I shoot crossbows currently but will be getting into a compound or traditional sometime in the future. What fixed broadheads you thinking about, also do you care about your FOC and total arrow weight at all or just go with the shop recommendations???

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I shoot crossbows currently but will be getting into a compound or traditional sometime in the future. What fixed broadheads you thinking about, also do you care about your FOC and total arrow weight at all or just go with the shop recommendations???

I will snap a pic when I go to pick up my bow. The shop I go to has their own broadheads.

I am shooting 400 grains. My draw weight is set to 65 lbs.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
You ever heard of Ed Ashby??? He has done tons of research on arrow system lethality, you might find some of his research interesting. Here are a couple reports of his findings.

railroad

Established Member
You may be past this bit of information, but I will throw it out there.
Fixed broad heads yes +++
Paper tuning, You will need to shoot this to confirm, with fixed broad heads you plan to use.
Not knowing the terrain you will be in, try to mark some yardage points. ,,,, unless you are blessed with the magic to read yardage within 5 yards.
From a tree stand, learn how to shoot almost straight down. It happens and is different.
Spin check all your arrows with broad heads attached.
Some older rest required the **** fletching to be clocked. I doubt your new rest is that style.
Double check, you do not get many if any do overs. You just learn from the misses and mistakes.
Good luck, I think you will enjoy the challenge.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
I am beginning to put the time in. Dropped my bow off earlier this week to get re strung and paper tuned.
I will admit I know shit-about-**** when it comes to bows but you really should do your own paper and nock tuning (both bare shaft), how they hold/shoot your bow will never be the same way as you hold/shoot your bow. You build your own arrows at all, use factory built or what the proshop makes for you???

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
You ever heard of Ed Ashby??? He has done tons of research on arrow system lethality, you might find some of his research interesting. Here are a couple reports of his findings.

Thanks man this is great.

You may be past this bit of information, but I will throw it out there.
Fixed broad heads yes +++
Paper tuning, You will need to shoot this to confirm, with fixed broad heads you plan to use.
Not knowing the terrain you will be in, try to mark some yardage points. ,,,, unless you are blessed with the magic to read yardage within 5 yards.
From a tree stand, learn how to shoot almost straight down. It happens and is different.
Spin check all your arrows with broad heads attached.
Some older rest required the **** fletching to be clocked. I doubt your new rest is that style.
Double check, you do not get many if any do overs. You just learn from the misses and mistakes.
Good luck, I think you will enjoy the challenge.

Thanks for the tips. They way I hunt turkey is I range find landmarks all around my blind and establish a perimeter. That way I know all relevant distances and can shoot on the fly. I wont shoot turkey past 40 yards. If the target is inside the perimeter I shoot and pass if not in the perimeter.

I will admit I know shit-about-**** when it comes to bows but you really should do your own paper and nock tuning (both bare shaft), how they hold/shoot your bow will never be the same way as you hold/shoot your bow. You build your own arrows at all, use factory built or what the proshop makes for you???

Thanks. My proshop makes them for me. I will be sure to run some through when I pick up my bow to make sure they are good to go.

Also noting that I am running a single pin site. I was huge into archery when I was a kid and developed a good feel for arrow trajectory. I have tried multi pins but never liked them. They are distracting to me and I have always shot better with single pin.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
I’m an avid bow hunter and shooter. Have been since I was a kid. I also worked part time at a shop for a few years where I worked on bows, built custom arrows and helped a number of our clients shoot better groups.

That said, I do not recommend paper tuning a bow until you’re 1,000% confident in your grip, stance and setup. Until you learn those three items a paper tuning does nothing for you given that he variation in arrow placement. This is even more the case having someone else paper tune your bow.

Think of it this way, can you and I pick up the same bow and shoot the same pattern into said paper? No.

I do suggest a drop away arrow rest, opposed to V type or Whisker Biscuits. The drop away is far superior in quietness and accuracy.

The more your shoot the better you’ll get. Just like with a firearm.

I could go on and on. Please feel free to PM me any questions you may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I have been using a crossbow for quite a few years now. Used vertical bow for many years, but had to give it up when I couldn't shoot from a stand - back issue. I was fine drawing a shooting a target, couldn't hold and couldn't hold and bend.

A lot of good information above, having a good bow shop is invaluable.

Repeatable form is paramount. Slightest variation is magnified downrange.

What ever bow, rest, arrows, etc you settle on, with good advice, practice X 1000 times.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Picked my bow up yesterday. Tuned it on site. Shoots like a champ.

I will be shooting 100 grain wasp drones.

They had the mack daddy Matthew's phase 4 on the shelf. Want.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I've always shot Bowtech. They have been my bow of choice for a while now. The draw cycle just always felt smoother to me than a Mathews or a Bear. I had a 340 Destroyer that shot stupid fast. Probably one of my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

railroad

Established Member
Picked my bow up yesterday. Tuned it on site. Shoots like a champ.

I will be shooting 100 grain wasp drones.

They had the mack daddy Matthew's phase 4 on the shelf. Want.
I like your choice in broad heads. It looks similar to Muzzy, which I shot. Their quality slipped in the years I used them. They were not concentric. My last bow was a Matthews Carbon Extreme. Long time ago.
All sounds good on your equipment. Turkeys at ground level, will be a challenge.
Good luck,

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
At 20 yards I am now putting three arrows in half dollar sized circle. I have to be careful not to ruin my arrows from robin hooding.

I tried to do the same at 40 yards today and it was humbling. I can put 9 arrows into a pie plate which is probably good enough to kill a deer.

I need to work at shooting at angles and holding and moving while at full draw.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Stop shooting at the same dot, robinhoods are cool until you wreck 2 great flying arrows. Are you doing this with your field points or broadheads??? What type of hunting are you planning on, mobile or static???

If youre mobile you need to work real hard on your range guesstimation, if static make a dope chart and range out all your landmarks. I walk my dog and guess distance on mailboxes at random times, box to ground to approximate deer shoulder height. Just be aware the deer will never be at your desired distance nor give you ample time to figure your drops out.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Remember...a lot can happen in 40yds...i typically will not shoot at a deer over 30yds with my bow...and shit is a speed bow. Deer will drop with a quickness and you will em high if ya hit em

As for broadheads...tons a diff opinions on em. I like RamCats for fixed and grim reaper 1 3/8ths for expandables

Put em where they hurt and they will do thier job

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Stop shooting at the same dot, robinhoods are cool until you wreck 2 great flying arrows. Are you doing this with your field points or broadheads??? What type of hunting are you planning on, mobile or static???

If youre mobile you need to work real hard on your range guesstimation, if static make a dope chart and range out all your landmarks. I walk my dog and guess distance on mailboxes at random times, box to ground to approximate deer shoulder height. Just be aware the deer will never be at your desired distance nor give you ample time to figure your drops out.

I am still practicing with field points. I need to start shooting broadheads though.

I have will be hunting static from a tree. Good point to practice guestimation.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I am still practicing with field points. I need to start shooting broadheads though.

I have will be hunting static from a tree. Good point to practice guestimation.
I practice at 25 and 30...my bow is fast enough its the same pin

Also...practice shooting at angles...deer dont always stand perfectly broadside...unless you dont want to shoot then they always do lol

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I used to love it when I lived up north but too many snakes and bugs out that time of year in NC.
Not to mention by the time I get set up in the stand I'm typically sweating buckets so I know I'm putting off smell no matter what soap/sent blockers I'm using.
Have fun! I enjoyed it more than rifle hunting for sure.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Also...practice shooting at angles...deer dont always stand perfectly broadside...unless you dont want to shoot then they always do lol
Great point, also make sure to learn deer anatomy. When those angles pop up you need to know where you need to adjust your POA to and what may/may not be a good shot. I passed on a large doe 2 seasons ago when she lined up on me head on, I kept lining up a head shot (rifle not archery) instinctively and I knew there was a better shot that I should be lining up. It wasnt worth the risk of wounding when/if she twitched, I know better now. The green dot on this image is just a touch high in my opinion but it should give you an idea.

deer anatomy - Copy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread