Any blacksmiths here?

VegasMichael

Established Member
I have been watching Forged in Fire on the history channel and am hooked. I would like to learn to be a bladesmith. Not sure about the apprenticeship involved but it seems the start up costs to have your own forge are expensive. I like the blue collar angle involved as well as the artistic element.

Last edited:

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Love that show too. We had a local guy burn down half his town mimicking that show.

Mayor: Amateur bladesmith started massive Cohoes blaze

480x480.jpg
375x250.jpg

VegasMichael

Established Member
Can I ask.....why? Beyond the hobby itself, what's the point? This isn't the middle ages.
I think because there is an artistry to it. A craft. There is a demand for people that can make a quality knife. When you are prepping your dinner, don't you want a good knife?

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I am interested also. I love it when I have to fab things at the shop and get to get out the welders and torches. I have always been fascinated by custom iron worked fences and gates.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I've always been curious about japanese folded blades where they'd fold the metal 15 to 20 times making layers.

I thought; with a modern powered hammer forge, why stop at 20, or 30? Thought about it a bit more, and realized that those layers get thinner and thinner each successive fold.

Started looking at the math (admittedly not with any precision) to see that if you start with a blade that's 1 CM thick, an Angstrom is about 1/10,000,000 of that thickness.

24 foldings gets you a bit thinner than that number; what happens when the layers are thinner than a molecule of what you're working with?

Does it turn back into a single piece? At what point are you simply making steel taffy? Are there any physically definable improvements to this metal?

Mostly curious, I'm sure someone has asked this before.

_Satch_

Established Member
I've never seen the show, but my older brother is a Farrier/Blacksmith. He has always been very crafty, and some of the blades and steel things he has made over the years are incredible. Very time consuming though. A couple years back he tried to sell some of the things he made, but the time he had invested put the prices out of the realm of normal purchasers. Some of the stuff he's made over the years:
-Lots of knives
-really cool twisted steel fire poker
-cobra snakes made out of old rasps
-wine racks out of old horse shoes
-twisted steel shepard's hooks for hanging planters
-forged rose for my mom for her birthday, the next year he made a forged steel holder for it.

-Satch

bgoose99

Established Member
Here's my $0.02, having gone down this path.

Go to any of the major online knife making suppliers. Get yourself some bar stock. Nothing fancy. 1084 is an awesome place to start because you can easily heat treat it yourself at home. Get some good files and a vise. And make a knife by hand using simple stock removal.

From design, to roughing out the shape and profiling, to hand filing the bevels, heat treat, tempering, adding handle scales (or any handle material), and sharpening.

Once that's done, do you still have the desire to learn to forge?

In my case, after 6 knives or so, I realized that keeping a nice car in the garage and also trying to make knives in there was not going to work for me. I enjoyed the process, and I have some knives that I can say I made, which is cool. And the total investment was mostly time, as the files and vise are good things to have in the garage anyway.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
My neighbor is a ferrier. He has a modest amount of money into his forge equipment but nothing silly.

I mean he doesn't have a huge power hammer, or anything fancy. He does alot the old fashioned way...his arms...and they are pretty big lol

He makes a decent living at it

Users who are viewing this thread