Anti-seize on plug threads?

qachargh

Established Member
About time for another oil-change and new set of TR6's on the motor. Being that most of the shops and retailers recommend changing the plugs so frequently on these motors when they are modded; does anyone use anti-seize on their plug threads?

PRP

Established Member
About time for another oil-change and new set of TR6's on the motor. Being that most of the shops and retailers recommend changing the plugs so frequently on these motors when they are modded; does anyone use anti-seize on their plug threads?

You better!

Steel plugs in aluminum heads mandate anti-seize on the threads.

If you don't use it, next time you pull the plugs there's a very good chance you will pull the threads along with them.

Phill

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Might want to read this.

Well F+++ me, never thought about that, I always use it especially in aluminum head/iron block turbo deals, but also am careful not to over tighten.
I think most performance plugs probably have that coating :shrug:
I know the NGKs or Autolite race (non-projected tip) seem to always have that.
Thanks for posting Catmonkey :beer:
-J

Cman01

hello
Established Member
a little bit of anti seize doesn't hurt. Don't put a lot and also don't tighten the crap out of the plugs.

If you're not sure use a torque wrench. I've always hand tighten them to the head then do two 1/4 turns to compress the washer (on new plugs) and you're set. Done it this way for years never have a problem.

If reinstalling plugs and the washer is already compressed hand tighten and do 1/8 of a turn.

Tony

nxhappy

Established Member
just a dab, and don't glob it on there like pudding. Torque the plugs on a dead cold engine !

TORQJNKY

Anti-seize will affect your torque values FWIW.

Your correct! I should have added..."properly" meaning, "and I just use 15lb/ft for NGK TR6's with anti-seize", which applies the 30% torque reduction philosophy for using anti-seize. The 30% reduced torque differential, when corrected, falls within the 18-21.6lb/ft torque values for the TR6 (14mm) plugs and I've never had a problem. :bash: on wood!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread