Another vacation thread...

Dusten

Established Member
Taking a large trip in the summer/early fall of 2019.

We are tossing around the idea of Australia(cairns) or train hopping Europe.

Which would you prefer?

Couple of things. Trip will be me, the wife, and 3 kids(16, 11, 7 at the time)
Plan is for 10ish days in country not including travel to and from Seattle.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
EUROPE!!!!

That's my happy place.

Your flight to Europe will be half of that to Australia. 10 days not counting travel is a a good 2-3 cities in Europe. Picking which ones, not that's the problem.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Train hopping through Europe sounds awesome.

nxhappy

Established Member
if it's you and the kids I would stick with one spot. Hopping around would be pretty non-relaxing ...

that being said, Spain in very nice. I also love Italy. Too many choices in Europe !

Dusten

Established Member
if it's you and the kids I would stick with one spot. Hopping around would be pretty non-relaxing ...

that being said, Spain in very nice. I also love Italy. Too many choices in Europe !

We hop a lot with the kids. It's normal. Last summer I took the boys on an 8 day, 4500 mile camping trip.

We often take week long road trips with the kids up and down the oregon and Cali coast.

If we do Europe it'll be the northern end likely. Holland is where my wife's family is from, she's first generation American. Germany, England, Ireland.

nxhappy

Established Member
We hop a lot with the kids. It's normal. Last summer I took the boys on an 8 day, 4500 mile camping trip.

We often take week long road trips with the kids up and down the oregon and Cali coast.

If we do Europe it'll be the northern end likely. Holland is where my wife's family is from, she's first generation American. Germany, England, Ireland.
well then, have at it lol

Coiled03

Established Member
Done both Australia and Europe. I would do Australia every day of the week, and twice on Sundays. The only....ONLY...thing that would make me reconsider is if you're a huge history buff.

nxhappy

Established Member
Done both Australia and Europe. I would do Australia every day of the week, and twice on Sundays. The only....ONLY...thing that would make me reconsider is if you're a huge history buff.
seems like tons of beaches there. I would love to go .

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I’ve been to Europe several times and will be going back in August mainly for the wine festivals. While my wife and I are there we will be getting on the Nürburgring track. I’ve been to Spain, Italy, Austria and Switzerland. All are nice places to vacation, but Germany does it for me.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Europe bro. I just got back from an 11 day vacation in London, Paris, and Rome. I toured Normandy which was amazing too. Rome was unreal. If you go, set up private tours. It's well worth it

Coiled03

Established Member
seems like tons of beaches there. I would love to go .

Well, it's an island, so....lol. Yeah, there are a ton of beaches. But really, the people make the vacation there, imho. They're some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. And they love joking about Yanks. If you can take the ribbing, you can have a lot of fun giving it back to them.

If you go, I'd highly recommend:

- Great Barrier Reef (duh). I wish I could scuba dive, but I have mild asthma, so I've never tried. But we went snorkeling, and even that was incredible.
- Sydney harbor opera house tour, and the bridge climb if you aren't scared of heights.
- Great Ocean Road tour, or trip.
- 12 Apostles national park. We did a helicopter tour of this, and it was absolutely breath taking.
- Phillip Island to see the penguins come ashore. I know, I know....it's just penguins. But they're cute, and there's something about seeing wildlife that gives me a greater sense of my place in the world.
- Take a day trip to Tasmania. The flora there is stunning.
- Any of the wildlife parks. You can learn about all manner of wildlife you'll never see here: Koala bears, tasmanian devils, kangaroos, and so on.

It's a fabulous place to visit. It's just a damn shame it's so hard to get to, and so damn expensive.

EDIT: Oh, and FYI, Cairns is hot as ****! We went in October and just about died lol.

Dusten

Established Member
Well, it's an island, so....lol. Yeah, there are a ton of beaches. But really, the people make the vacation there, imho. They're some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet. And they love joking about Yanks. If you can take the ribbing, you can have a lot of fun giving it back to them.

- Great Barrier Reef (duh). I wish I could scuba dive, but I have mild asthma, so I've never tried. But we went snorkeling, and even that was incredible.
- Sydney harbor opera house tour, and the bridge climb if you aren't scared of heights.
- 12 Apostles national park. We did a helicopter tour of this, and it was absolutely breath taking.
- Phillip Island to see the penguins come ashore. I know, I know....it's just penguins. But they're cute, and there's something about seeing wildlife that gives me a greater sense of my place in the world.
- Any of the wildlife parks. You can learn about all manner of wildlife you'll never see here: Koala bears, tasmanian devils, kangaroos, and so on.

It's a fabulous place to visit. It's just a damn shame it's so hard to get to, and so damn expensive.

EDIT: Oh, and FYI, Cairns is hot as ****! We went in October and just about died lol.
That's why we're go in July August, it'll be cooler

Kevins89notch

Established Member

As someone who has train hopped all over Europe, here's my simple advice. It may sound like common sense, but I've seen so many people plan trips overseas and overlook one important factor...transportation time.

Someone will say something like, "I'll do 3 days in London, and then 3 in Paris." No, it will be 2.5 days in Paris or only 2.5 in London. You have to check out of your hotel, make your way via public transport to a central station, catch a train to your next city, which could be a 4+ hour ride, make your way via public transport to your new hotel, and then check in. Maybe you have breakfast before all this, you get to your new city and want to go do things, but now you're super hungry and have to spent time eating a meal.

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member

before I die I'll go for sure lol. Little baby on the way so yeah FML. My realtor is an Aussie so I'd go with him and crash his house. One day ...

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Buddy of mine went to New Zealand. Says he wants to die there...so ya must be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Romania was recently voted the most beautiful place in Europe to visit. I think that will be our next stop.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would love to do either, but Australia would be #1. We have a friend who lives a couple of months each year in Australia. She loves it. From what we've heard and know, it would be a spectacular place to visit. I love that the people there are so friendly. But visiting Europe wouldn't be a bad choice, for sure. I would especially love to visit Switzerland.

colin450

Established Member
My parents took my brother, my sister and I on a week-long trip to Iceland and London when we were pretty close in age to your kids. I know I didn't appreciate it like I would've if I went when I was older. The whole time I was thinking it was kind of boring. I was too young for the history of everything I was seeing to really register. I'd love to re-do that trip now that I'm much older.

That being said, I would've been much happier on the beach in Australia (I've never been) back when I was a kid, and today.

Users who are viewing this thread