(Another) TV thread, for home theater room

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
Trying to figure out options for a TV in the home theater room. What do you all use? I really have no idea, since Ive never shopped for a larger television. We're looking for something 75"+, so at that point is a projector better? We would like something that can tap into the Wifi for netflix and whatnot, but Im not sure if projectors are equivelent to the smart TVs.

So then. What should I look at?

oldmodman

Established Member
How many viewing positions (chairs) will you be planning for in your home theater?

Screen size pretty much is a minimum based on that. If you were going for three rows on an incline you should be looking at a projection set up with a 100 to 120 inch screen.

One row with three chairs could get by with a 65 to 75 inch LCD/LED or better yet an OLED of the similar size.

There is a new laser driven projector coming out next month that will be the equal of any flatscreen TV. It's 4K with every imaginable input methodology. And it's super bright. I can't wait to read a review and go to see one.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How many viewing positions (chairs) will you be planning for in your home theater?

Screen size pretty much is a minimum based on that. If you were going for three rows on an incline you should be looking at a projection set up with a 100 to 120 inch screen.

One row with three chairs could get by with a 65 to 75 inch LCD/LED or better yet an OLED of the similar size.

There is a new laser driven projector coming out next month that will be the equal of any flatscreen TV. It's 4K with every imaginable input methodology. And it's super bright. I can't wait to read a review and go to see one.

Interesting. Is it also equal to OLED? Same deep blacks? I ask because OLED is just so darned good.

Last edited:

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
What projector is this? the last I looked at projectors the laser models were SUPER expensive....

OP, There's several good 75"+ tv's out there that are 4k. But it all depends on what you're going to do with the room. If you want something that works amazing no matter how bright the room is I'd recommend an actual TV, but if you're going with a dedicated movie room that you're going to keep semi dark (at least) then I would honestly switch to a projector. I used to have a 120" drop down screen in college with a 1080p projector and it was everything I wanted to watch movies and play video games. But I had to tint the windows for daytime viewing because the picture would be incredibly washed out otherwise.

LD5050

37OH55V
Established Member
If you look at front projection, pay attention to the rated ANSI lumens (brightness). If you have any ambient light in your room, brightness is going to be a huge factor in perceived quality.

Epson has a new Home Cinema 5040 unit that uses pixel shifting to display 4k content, and is over 2,000 lumens. The cheapest native-rate 4k projector is still the Sony @ $10k

A TV will get you the smart app features, and will be brighter per $ than a projector (at the same resolution)

Users who are viewing this thread